1997 Grand cherokee no over drive when warm??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand cherokee no over drive when warm???

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

1997 Grand cherokee no over drive when warm???

Hello all, new to the forum here. I did a bit of research on the forum and found some threads that are kinda the same but not really, but I am new so please forgive me if this has been covered.

My 97 grand 4.0 AWD has just started not shifting into overdrive once it warms up. When I start it it works fine for a few minutes and will continue to work unless i let it out of overdrive. Then it wont shift back into overdrive. I also had a problem with the jeep almost stalling when in first gear after giving it a bit of gas as you would in a drive through. That seems to have been fixed with a change of the throttle body and all sensors on it including the TPS. Today I got a new governor pressure sensor and will be putting it in tomorrow as the weather is keeping me from doing it today. I will also be changing the fliter and fluid while the pan is down and adding some lucas treatment.

Other than what has been done and I am about to do does anyone know of anything else a guy on a budget can do to fix the issue or have you ever seen this before? Or if you know the cause please let me know.

One other thing, sometimes i get a hard shift from first to second. Not always just sometimes mostly when its cold. Fluid right now looks and smells good not burned up at all. Still pulls hard and runs great. If this sensor doesnt get it I will be at the end of my rope and out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

jimmybjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

see my next post

Last edited by jimmybjames; 03-30-2011 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: was a jerk and have said sorry
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

i dont know anything about transmissions sorry.

but sometimes the read count has a significant lag. the trans gurus will chime in later tonight i'm sure.

and for the record, this forum has the most activity out of any of them.
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybjames View Post
I dont mean to be rude
A simple "bump" would have sufficed.

Most of the regulars on the forum who try to help people have niches that they have particular knowledge of. They also have day jobs. Some of them even have side jobs where people pay them to to answer questions within 15 minutes on the internet.

Try a bump later on tonight and maybe someone who knows a lot about transmissions will answer you.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
charlesshoults
1995 ZJ 

I read the initial post and was thinking to myself, change the transmission filter. When I first got my '95, I had a similar issue, but maybe the opposite of yours. When it was cold started, OD would be locked out, and felt like it was never getting out of 2nd gear. After it got up to operating temperature, I would have to shut it off and restart it, and it would behave. After I changed the filter, the problem went away and has been fine for 4 1/2 years.

The other thing I just read is on Edmunds, a person asking the same question. Turns out, the TCM will disable OD if the fluid temperature exceeds 260 degrees. That makes me think maybe a clogged coolant line.
charlesshoults is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Hey folks I didnt mean to get off on the wrong foot, I hope you guys can forgive me. Its a bit rough looking for answers and not finding any, especially when it comes to my daily driver. I am sorry about the previous statement. My outburst was not needed. That said I am sure this is a great forum and hope you guys dont hold my frustration against me. Its easy to type things that you dont mean when frustrated. this issue has gotten under my skin, and words have flown here in my garage but should not have come with me to the forum. Bad move on my part.
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
sebian
1995 ZJ 

When you drop the trans pan, check it for metal parts. Typically that will indicate whether or not something has broken inside your transmission. If all you see is metal shavings that look like a Don King hairstyle, the trans should be ok, and hopefully the sensor, fluid/filter change does the trick for you.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
charlesshoults
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Hey folks I didnt mean to get off on the wrong foot, I hope you guys can forgive me. Its a bit rough looking for answers and not finding any, especially when it comes to my daily driver. I am sorry about the previous statement. My outburst was not needed. That said I am sure this is a great forum and hope you guys dont hold my frustration against me. Its easy to type things that you dont mean when frustrated. this issue has gotten under my skin, and words have flown here in my garage but should not have come with me to the forum. Bad move on my part.
I don't think anyone will hold it against you. We've all cussed and screamed at our vehicles, or our tools. I've wanted to punch or kick my Jeep more than a couple times, and I have thrown recently removed parts down the street. Then I go pick them up. When things go wrong, especially with things we depend on, we get frustrated.
charlesshoults is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Well I got the filter fluid and sensor changed but no dice. Still not shifting into OD once it gets warm. I am going to pull the battery and reconnect all my wires on the computer to see if that helps. No big pieces or anything out of the norm in the pan so I am lost. Any help would be great. Maybe another idea or something else to try. Thanks
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Hey guys also I went to the edmunds site with the same questions and learned about the stored codes with turning the key to on and off, got the codes 12, 21, and 55. Any ideas here on 55? or how to remedy 12 and 21? THanks
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Well I found 55, seems thats the end of the codes. 21 seems to be a bad O2 or connection to it. And it seems 12 is just from me disconnecting the battery and computer. So I think I am going with the clog idea for now and going to go get the fluid flushed. Hoping that a power flush will clear any clog I have.
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
So I think I am going with the clog idea for now and going to go get the fluid flushed. Hoping that a power flush will clear any clog I have.
What do you mean by "power flush"?
If the coolant lines are clogged, you should have found particles in the pan.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

What kind of particles? By power flush I mean heading to goodyear and having them flush it with the machine. The fluid was the color of coffee so im pretty sure its getting warm. There were some small shavings and its was kinda gunky on the magnet but I am not sure what you mean by particles.

Still with the machine doing the flush they hook it up through the lines pulling the fuild line from the radiator and plugging one end to the hose and one end to the radiator and then flushing the entire 12 quarts. at least thats how it was explained to me. I am hoping this will clear a clog.
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
classicmetalman

Quote:
Well I found 55, seems thats the end of the codes. 21 seems to be a bad O2 or connection to it. And it seems 12 is just from me disconnecting the battery and computer. So I think I am going with the clog idea for now and going to go get the fluid flushed. Hoping that a power flush will clear any clog I have.
If you haven't got your power flush done yet, I'd probably do a little more reading (search function) on here about it. Alot of opinions on Pros VS Cons of power flushing trans if it wasn't part of past routine maint.
When you changed the fluid, did you "completely" drain n refill or just change what was in the pan n what drained out? If you changed all the fluid, then there is no need to powerflush. My

Good luck n keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

When I dropped the pan I just changed what was in the pan and what drained out. I got the jeep a few months ago so I dont know if it was part of regular maint. I was thinking of the power flush to see if it would clear out any clogs that my have developed in the lines or in the radiator. At this point changing the fluid and filter ans sensor have made it shift much better but once warm I still have no overdrive. So I am trying anything to get this issue corrected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.