1997 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand Cherokee

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Deadbolt

1997 Grand Cherokee

My son has a 97 GC Orvis 5.2L V8. It frequently hesitates for a second or two when accelerating from a dead stop - like it's choking. I doesn't do this all the time, just occasionally, and it seems to happen more often when the gas level is at 1/4 tank or less. It does not create any computer codes. We've changed the fuel filter, had the injectors cleaned, gas tank removed and cleaned, replaced the fuel pump, and checked the fuel pressure. Our mechanic now believes the fan clutch may be the cause, wherein the gas is getting too hot and not flowing smoothly through the injectors when you accelerate. I've also been told by someone else to check the TPS (throttle position sensor). So far, this has all been guesswork. If anyone has any specific ideas that would help narrow down the cause, I'd sure appreciate it.

Deadbolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Do you only notice this when turning from a stop, or all the time?

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Deadbolt

He says it's mostly when making a turn from a stop, but sometimes also when going straight ahead.
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I recommend that you don't go any farther without replacing the TPS; it sounds like that's the problem. It's not that expensive ($40), and can be installed in 5 minutes. It isn't worthwhile to go through the whole voltage-checking process to see if it's bad, I would recommend that you just go ahead and replace it. They usually go bad every year or so (at least, in my case), and can cause all sorts of acceleration- and shift-related problems.

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Deadbolt

You're the second person that has suggested the TPS, so that's what we'll do. I appreciate your input. Do you have any thoughts about the mechanic's suspicion involving the fan clutch?
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
You're the second person that has suggested the TPS, so that's what we'll do. I appreciate your input. Do you have any thoughts about the mechanic's suspicion involving the fan clutch?
Very far-fetched. If the fan clutch was bad, either the motor temperature would rise to dangerous levels because the clutch is not engaging when hot, or the motor would never warm up because the clutch is stuck engaged.

What is the average engine temp. when driving and stopped? Have him read the temperature gauge after it's warmed up, and has been sitting for at least 5 minutes idling.

Another note, if the clutch was stuck engaged, the fan would be extremely loud when revving up the motor. Some people complain about the fan being loud when taking off from a stand-still when the motor is still cool. This is normal, but if the fan seems loud all the time, every time the motor is above 750rpms, that could be an indication that the clutch is stuck.

Again, I highly doubt that that's the problem, or that such a problem would effect the fuel system, but it is still something to look into. You never know...

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
ezrider327
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
Go to a different mechanic I've seen stranger things happen but the fan clutch was on the last of the list, wait actually it wasn't on the list at all for this one.

X3 for a TPS and see if it cures it.
235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
Flowmaster exhaust, custom winch bumper, Ramsey 9000lb, THULE MOAB roof rack
ezrider327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Deadbolt

I appreciate the response. Looks like the majority think the TPS is the likely cause, so that's what we'll do. I wasn't really convinced about the fan clutch anyway. Just didn't seem logical to me. But, if the TPS doesn't solve the problem, then I guess we'll try it. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

yeah and has he changed his spark plugs ? If they're original i'd change those too -- mine ran better after that - it kinda hesitated a lil before i had them changed -
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.