1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Random Stalls - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Random Stalls

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #31
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

Stalling and ECM, more

My reply is a happy one for once. If you read my original post and posts since, you will see the frustrations. After the last stall, I found that the ground was not really all that well exposed to the clamp or connected. I peeled back more wire, cleaned more gunk off of it, put the dielectric grease on it (did this for EVERY relay and connection I could unplug) -- I think it is now considered "solved". 4 days of no issues, but I guarantee the ECM was the original root cause and since putting new terminals on with a battery, there simply was not enough ground connection -- hence the battery would crank the starter, but no power to anything else...1 wire was grounded and the other to the block was not.

Hope this helps. Hoping my myriad issues of electricity are at a close. Thanks to all for posting. I dont even care about the extra CPS, pickup, yada yada yada parts, because they seem to all be trouble, now they are new, and I have a sack full of extras if I need it again!

Sean

hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #32
smokestack

Glad that you got it fixed. Now if i can only get mine to stay running
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #33
hardhat

still going strong

Since I replaced the distributor on my GC I have not had any problems. I went through just about all of the sensors and checked the various connections before I did this replacement. The vehicle continues to do fine after one week.
hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #34
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

stalling issues hopefully resolved

After 10 days or so, mine is doing great too. Hoping all the $$ and headache I put into this is over and done. Will keep you posted if anything changes.
Unread 08-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #35
hardhat

looks like the problems are in the past

Over one month and no problems. This is a good ignition system, however it looks like the little things can throw it off. My distributor had a little side to side play and that must have thrown of the sensor. All is very good now.
hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #36
SpooN-FeedeR

No problems here either after replacing the ECM....After all the parts I changed I did go from getting about 15-16 MPG to 18-19 MPG on the highway. I'm sure I could get over 20 if I kept it below 70.
SpooN-FeedeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #37
smokestack

I cleaned the grounds on my ecu and now everything is great
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #38
fredp4rrot

Well, I originally had all the same stalling problems mentioned in this thread. I have changed the CPS and also 3 months ago the PCM which fixed the problem....Until now !! The PCM is supposedly a remanufactured one from Mopar. The car ran great for the last few months, then It's back to it's old ways. Random stalling and cutting out. No Check-Engine light displayed.

I'm guessing that it's the PCM again, which cost me $430. I have a warranty on it for 1 year or 12,000 miles. I called the company in Florida that I purchased it from and they are in complete denial. They claim that the if the computer has an internal fault, then my jeep has probably got a short that has caused it. This may be the case, but the jeep has run great for 3 months, with no problems. I just find it strange that this should just start suddenly all over again. If I do have a short causing the problem, then you would think it wouldn't take 3 months and 5000 miles to show up again.

They now want me to send them the PCM back to them to test it, but I can't honestly see them saying that they have supplied a faulty unit to me. I would guess that I am going to be billed for the repair of it, blaming it on my jeep. I have my reservations about returning it to them....... We'll see what happens.
fredp4rrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #39
Country Boy
Bovi-sapiens

2000 WJ 

I read someplace online when searching for a solution for my stalling problems that there are two T25 torx screws on the cover of the PCM that are a bit long from the factory. If the cover sags a bit, they can make contact with the circuit board intermitantly and cause stalling/no start conditions. The guy replaced his with 1/4" shorter screws and the problem went away.

Link to the article.

Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and you are a thousand miles from the cornfield. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't curse the farmer with your mouth full.

Ah, cows. A thousand roast beef sandwiches wrapped in a gorgeous leather coat.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #40
loudog691

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has been diagnosed with a cracked manifold. Could that contribute to the problem everyone is describing? I'm having it too, all of the sudden!
loudog691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #41
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

Random stall, fuel cuts off, fuel pump relay issue

Well, all the stuff I have had happen to this Jeep...it all comes down to the fuel pump relay box, connection, or something. I have replaced, rotated, cleaned, greased, etc. everything possible in the relay box especially for the fuel pump relay. It will be fine for a few days, then randomly cut off. If it is slow to start or stalls and will not start, all I have to do is rotate it with another relay like the horn or wipers. Then it is perfectly fine again. Sometimes the replaced relay will not operate in the horn or wipers, sometimes it will. There is no consistency other than it is always the fuel pump relay or connection giving me the headaches. PLEASE if anyone has ideas...new pump, new computer, new almost anything you can imagine electrical...but all boils down to this area and I am stumped. BTW, the Jeep is for sale. Mechanically it is wonderful. This is the absolute only issue at this point. I bought a smaller car for now and am selling if anyone is in Hawaii. FYI.

Thanks
Sean
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #42
mxw1

Hello,
I'm new here.
I have a question for you about engine wiring harness.
My daughter has a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 6-cylinder, automatic, 2-wheel drive. It has the dreaded "Stalling when Hot" syndrom. It's pretty rare and random but getting worse. I've replaced the crank sensor twice, the throttle position sensor, ignition coil, etc. While checking the wiring between the computer and the throttle position sensor I discovered a bunch of corrosion on the connector at the computer end. I was able to remove the computer and clean the male pins, but the female connector of the wiring harness is small, recessed and impossible to clean. The problem is much worse now, so I think I've located the area of failure.
I need to replace the wiring harness that connects to the engine computer on the right side of the engine. The dealer tells me the harness is no longer available, so I'm checking the junk yards now.

Update;
I have replaced the wiring harness with one from the junkyard and I am pleased to announce that the problem seems to have disappeared! It's been several tankfulls of gas and has run perfectly.
I'm not bragging, I'm hoping to save someone else time, money and frustration in the future.
I encourage you to check the wiring harness connection at the ECM (computer). I found corrosion and also one of the harness connector sockets was recessed more than the others, I suspect that this was causing a bad connection. I looked up the related wire and it is connected to both the throttle position sensor and one other sensor. I did receive one error code for TPS, one time during a stalling episode, but the rest of the time It never stored a code.
To check the wiring harness, it's kind of hard to see because it's so low in the engine harness, the pins and recepticles are very small, you need a lot of light to see well, the computer can easily be removed for a good inspection. Use di-electric grease on these connections after inspection/ cleaning to prevent further corrosion.

If anyone needs further help with this subject; shoot me an e-mail at;
Woloshansky@verizon.com

Good Luck to you all.

Mike
Woloshansky
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
jcmoore2010

additives

I am starting to think you must run your jeep with fuel additives etc to keep it running well. I went to autozone and purchased seafoam as well as a water remover/deicer/fuel system cleaner. I added the seafoam to both gasoline and crankcase oil to cure any carbon buildups as well as clean the fuel system. we will see how that works.
jcmoore2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.