1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Random Stalls - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Random Stalls

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
cher96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, I didn't see the other relpies. Forgive me.

cher96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #17
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

ECM / ECU issues

I ordered a ECM yesterday...supplied the VIN and odometer readings. I am sure it will take at least the rest of the week to get here. I will let you know how it turns out. There really is nothing left to changes.

From what I have read, the factory ECM has a crappy transistor and fails often. Seems like the same story for every electrical component on this thing. I have liked my Jeep, but if all this keeps up I will go back to VW life again where I at least understand the car overall. Thought this thing would be easy and lower cost parts...they are all the same! Money pits!
hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
GCJEEP

Today is the first time I have been on this website. I would have to say that you and I share the same dilema! I've had my 97 grand cherokee for bout 2 years and have had this problem for probably 1 year. It just randomly stalls, I took it to jeep and they first said it was my crank positioning sensor,got it back the same thing happened. Took it back they said it was my PCM, so I changed that along with a new catylitic converter, and it still does it! The truck has new plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, and a new fuel pump! After spnding about $1500 I am at a total loss and would love to know if anybody got back to you on this subject. Please let me know GCJEEP.
GCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #19
GCJEEP

Today is the first time I have been on this website. I would have to say that you and I share the same dilema! I've had my 97 grand cherokee for bout 2 years and have had this problem for probably 1 year. It just randomly stalls, I took it to jeep and they first said it was my crank positioning sensor,got it back the same thing happened. Took it back they said it was my PCM, so I changed that along with a new catylitic converter, and it still does it! The truck has new plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, and a new fuel pump! After spnding about $1500 I am at a total loss and would love to know if anybody got back to you on this subject. Please let me know GCJEEP.
GCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

ECM Replaced

Ok guys, keep your fingers crossed. Everything is "ok" at the moment.
I bought a remanufactured ECM and installed last night. Cost $300 with a $70 core, came pre-flashed, etc. Everything ok for now, but has only been started 5 times or so. I will post the outcome after a couple days.

To date for this issue I have spent $1200 on parts and labor on things I cannot do myself:
coil
plug wires
pickup
crankshaft positioning sensor
fuel pump
ECM

Not to mention things I did when I bought it - plugs, cap, rotor, all the standard stuff you do on a 100k car you dont know a lot about.

By the way, I used the dielectric grease on all the connectors, then also put some on my ABS connection box as the light has been on since I got it. Guess what, the ABS light went off after I did this, so screw those guys at the stearlership because it was probably a bad connection not a piece of hardware.

Thanks
Sean
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
SpooN-FeedeR

I went through the same crap with my Jeep from several months, same symptoms, and it turned out to be the ECM, the last item I changed. Didn't spend quite that much money, but I will say the way my Jeeps runs now, it was well worth what I spent on it, I'll make up the cost in about 6 months just in gas savings.
SpooN-FeedeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
SpooN-FeedeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCJEEP
Did they replace the cam position sensor (Pickup Plate)? It's a $30 part at most and easy to replace. It's sitting inside your distributer cap under the rotor.

I would also do a search on "stalling" and read as many posts as you can on the subject...the stalling phenomenon can be cause by a number of different things...even as simple as a bad battery or loose ground strap on the engine.
SpooN-FeedeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:48 AM   #23
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

Ecm

After all I went thru on this, I would highly suggest the ECM and sensors mentioned as well. I think mechanically the Jeep is bulletproof, but electrical flat out lacks in a lot of areas...stuff they have known about for years.

Regardless, right now (knock on wood) my Jeep is running really good. I dont know about the mileage bit yet...I was averaging about 19 or so before. At $3 a gallon it doesnt matter anyway, gas it a complete ripoff!

Also, I HIGHLY suggest going over every electrical connection you can find and putting on the dialectic grease...I am convinced that 90% of the time most hardware is fine and the connection probably isnt! Always worth a first glance if you have a sticky engine light, ABS, etc.

I appreciate all input to this issue. Thanks
Unread 07-21-2007, 01:04 AM   #24
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

Complete Shutdown and Stall again

After 1 good week, the Jeep decided to play more games. Just driving down the road after about 300+ miles this past week of no problems and everything came to a halt at once. The entire electrical system went blank. I pulled over, was able to crank it and it would diesel a little but not run. No other electrical was working. After my neighbor arrived and tried to tow me, realized this freakin' thing doesn't even have a tow loop. a Jeep? Come on man, my '78 VW Rabbit had a place to put a tow rope!

Anyway, once I decided to call my tow insurance, I noticed all the sudden the beeping of the key in the ignition with the door open...and it started right away.

So, there is a short somewhere in the ignition or bad ECM that I just installed, I don't know. All I know is I am ready to drive this thing off a cliff into the Pacific and create a new reef for all the fish here in Hawaii. I have never seen a more pathetic electrical system in my life.

That said, any other ideas...look at previous messages to see everything I have done to this point. This intermittent stuff is about to kill me. I was thinking maybe the ECM they sent is faulty, who knows...one clue to the mystery, my radio lost all the memory settings, but remember, I could still crank...battery and terminals are new, so it was something electrical aside from anything battery related. Iginition? Why would the rest of the power be off? It has to be something that controls everything after the battery.

I don't know, but anyone who wants to buy this thing after it is "fixed" let me know. I am just about done with all I can take.
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #25
hardhat

same old same old

I like the rest of you am experiencing the same stalling. I have done the sensor replacements except for the MAP sensor. The throttle body has been taken off and cleaned. I do notice that most of the stalling happens when braking or pushing down on the brake pedel. Does this seem like what some of the other jeeps are doing? Has anybody solved this issue? The jeep dealer flash did not solve the problem. The dealer said that all of the snsors are good. Any other ideas where to go from here.
hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If the engine has no spark when stalling then the main culprits are usually in this order: crank shaft position sensor, cam shaft position sensor, PCM & then the alternator. Intermittent stalling is a very very difficult thing to diagnose. You can not test for a fault when there is no fault! An engine no-start condition is so much easier to solve then a dying engine.

To Hardhat: I have disconnected my MAP sensor and then test driven the vehicle. It did not cause stalling.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #27
hardhat

stalling

Well I read somewhere that the GC owner said if there is play in the distributor to replace it and the problem may be solved. At 147000 there was play so I replaced the unit. The GC starting right up and has not stall yet today. I will give an update later in the week.
hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #28
hawaii50
1997 WJ 

Stalling issues continued

Looks like I may have it nailed down to the master ground...will update as soon as I know more.
Unread 07-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
smokestack

mine stalled like that once after fixing stuff and it was the ground beside the battery. It wasnt tight and would try to run and the gauges and stuff wouldnt work....I discovered that once i cleaned every ground i could find seemed to be fine for a few weeks. But im back at it with your same symptoms
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #30
mxw1

Cherokee stalling; fixed!

Hi Boys and Girls,
This is my first post. I hope I can help someone with this info.

My daughter has a 1994 Cherokee that has had the random stalling, I've been trying to fix for about a year, I believe I fixed it this weekend! I am happy and want to share what I found.

The first thing I changed was the Crank sensor, then ignition coil, the pick-up coil inside of the distributer.

It finally stalled on me while test driving and I noticed just before it stalled, the Check engine light flashed on. I grapped my fault code decoder and found an error code for the throttle position sensor signal low. I checked the sensor and indeed it was close to zero volts (.5 volt is required output at idle). I bought a new TPS installed it and started it up, but now the check engine light was on all the time. I checked the error codes again, this time I had a low voltage from the TPS and MAP sensor. I checked for a 5 volt supply from the computer to both sensors and it was gone. I removed the 60 pin connector plug at the computer to check the continuity of the wires to the sensors ( the MAP and TPS share the 5 volt supply from the computer ) and found several of the pins were corroded. I don't remember the pin numbers but one of the corroded ones was the 5 volt supply. I cleaned those up and problem went away.

Check your ECM connections!

Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.