1997 GC Won't Start - Intermittent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 GC Won't Start - Intermittent

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-31-2002, 02:54 PM   #1
indyaudioguy

1997 GC Won't Start - Intermittent

Helllp! My 1997 (5.2L V-8) WAS having an intermittent problem with the engine dying whenever I stopped at a light, etc. It would always start back up, but if I took my foot off the pedal, it would die again. Some days it would run perfectly, and then the next day, it was dying again. No check engine codes were set. THEN, while driving, the check engine light finally came on. However, I drove it every day for about 3 weeks with NO PROBLEMS! Then I parked it one evening. I went out to move it, and it cranked and cranked, but wouldn't start! I tried several times through the evening, but no start. The next morning, it fired right up! I drove it all day, and parked it that evening. The next morning, it cranked, but would not start again! I tried MANY times throughout the day. That evening, it fired right up! I drove it for like 2 days. Finally it died and wouldn't start. I tried all weekend, but finally gave in and called the wrecker. It sat at the repair shop for 2 days, and when they put the key in, you guessed it....it started right up! It has been running for 3 days for them with no troubles. It had a 'code 11' set. Anyone know what that is? Anyway, If it won't fail for them, they can't very well fix it! Any suggestions?

I have checked all of the plugs and wires including the wire to the coil. I checked for voltage on the input of the coil, and found NONE when it wouldn't start. Is there a module that generates the coil voltage? Are there other conditions/sensors that must be satisfied before the voltage is sent to the coil?

HELLLLP!

Thanks!

Unread 12-31-2002, 09:32 PM   #2
automan25

There is a device that plugs into the back of the throttle body. I believe it's called an Idle Air Control Valve, or something like that. Basically its a servo motor that moves a plunger in and out of the throttle body to control the air flow into the engine at idle. I was having a similar problem with my 5.2 JGC and today in fact I removed the Idle Air Control Valve to see if there was anything visually wrong with it. The only thing I noticed was that the plunger was all gummed up with carbon, not unusual I would think after 100,000+ miles. So I sprayed some carb cleaner on the plunger, wiped it clean, and reinstalled it. We'll see if that fixes my problem. If I find myself with enough extra time tomorrow I just may remove the whole throttle body to clean the 100,000 miles worth of crud out of it too. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem with my Jeep.

At any rate, you should at least check the Idle Air Control Valve. It's located on the back of the throttle body. Simply remove the plastic tube that runs from the airbox to the top of the throttle body, then remove the wire connector from the Idle Air Control Valve. Next use a 1/4 inch drive with a torx bit (a torx bit is a screwdriver bit that looks something like a 6 pointed star) to remove the two screws that hold the valve in place. Finally just pull the valve out gently. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Good Luck,
automan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2002, 10:51 PM   #3
MJR

Some of the more common problems are a dirty throttle body/AIS motor as indyaudioguy suggested. It actually needs to be cleaned every 30K. Other problems are fuel pumps and ignition coils failing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.