1996 ZJ won't start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 ZJ won't start.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
neilgorman
1996 ZJ 

1996 ZJ won't start.

Hi guys I'm having an issue with my 96 grand cherokee limited edition V8.
Here is the information as i have it.
Issue: Turns over but will not start.

Facts: -The alarm is active (no sound but lights flash, I believe the fuse for the horn on the alarm was removed).
-A new key was purchased from the jeep dealer (turns in the ignition but not in the door locks)
-I live in Northern Ontario, so it is extremely cold this time of year.
-It has been parked for roughly 5 months
-It turns over and goes on briefly but dies off within a matter of seconds.
-Used gas line anti-freeze to no avail.
-Attempted to boost through another vehicle.

So basically my question is, could the alarm be allowing the engine to turn over but essentially stop it before it is able to run? If this is the case, my key fits into the door locks but won't turn (i don't know if it is cold related) so as of yet I can't disengage the alarm like that.
If it is not the alarm, what would cause a vehicle that retrospectively ran perfectly before to no longer turn over after sitting 5 months in the cold.

NOTE: Should we not find a solution by the weekend it will be towed to a heated garage at which point cold will no longer be a factor.

neilgorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Please fill in your Jeep profile info...
It displays...
<--- over there.

Welcome to JF!

Disable alarm with remote fob.
If your keys worked before, then perhaps the dealer didn't cut the new one properly.
After sitting for 5 months, make sure battery is good.
Check for proper fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
neilgorman
1996 ZJ 

The remote was lost with the original key, the new one turns in the ignition but not the door lock (driver passenger and hatch), if that makes sense? It turns over and runs for a short couple seconds (less then 5), would it be able to do that if the battery was gone? Will check the fuel pressure tomorrow when I go see it. Thank you.
neilgorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

To disarm alarm, need remote key fob or key that works in the locks.
Check with dealer, ask why the new key doesn't work in all doors.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

while you're there get a fuse for your horn. Sitting for 5 months in cold will kill your battery and possibly lots of other things. Deal with the alarm first, go from there.
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreazj View Post
to disarm alarm, need remote key fob or key that works in the locks.
Check with dealer, ask why the new key doesn't work in all doors.
x2
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alarm , cold start , turn over , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.