1996. ZJ Limited V8 clutch problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996. ZJ Limited V8 clutch problem?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

1996. ZJ Limited V8 clutch problem?

Hi guys,

I live in Zagreb, Croatia, so I dont have a lot of friends who drive Jeep Grand Cherokee, so please help me

Well, the problem is very simple, I dont have experience with automatic transmission, and my Jeep 5.2 V8 does have automatic transmition, but this is the problem:

When I have to start moving (press the pedal in D - drive mood), sometimes (not always), the front of the car shakes very nasty and it seems like it has a problem to shift gear.

It doesent happen very often, and this shows sometimes also when I am driving about 40-50 km/h and press the pedal (power) and RPM goes but not speed , if you understand me .

It is like you have a lazy clutch on manual transmition.

So, please what could be the problem so I can find parts and replace it.

Thank you!

zaczg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

anyone? pls help
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Are you saying like it's slipping in gear? When you push the gas, it revs but the transmission doesn't engage?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
corndogduff

It sounds like you have a slipping transmission. You can look into the writeups about transmission band adjustments, which aren't TOO hard, or take it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild it and install a shift kit which is DEFINITELY worth your time/money if you can find someone to do it right.
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

Yeah it sounds bad like some metal is comming and revs go up but car dont, and it is sometimes when I push the gas pedal to the ground fast. When I drive normal it never shows.

2corndogduff transmission band adjustment? what is that?

This is my first automatic transmission car, so I dont know how it works exactly.

Thanks guys!
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
corndogduff

Totally cliche, but this should give you a good primer on auto transmissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.