1996. ZJ Limited V8 clutch problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996. ZJ Limited V8 clutch problem?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

1996. ZJ Limited V8 clutch problem?

Hi guys,

I live in Zagreb, Croatia, so I dont have a lot of friends who drive Jeep Grand Cherokee, so please help me

Well, the problem is very simple, I dont have experience with automatic transmission, and my Jeep 5.2 V8 does have automatic transmition, but this is the problem:

When I have to start moving (press the pedal in D - drive mood), sometimes (not always), the front of the car shakes very nasty and it seems like it has a problem to shift gear.

It doesent happen very often, and this shows sometimes also when I am driving about 40-50 km/h and press the pedal (power) and RPM goes but not speed , if you understand me .

It is like you have a lazy clutch on manual transmition.

So, please what could be the problem so I can find parts and replace it.

Thank you!

zaczg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

anyone? pls help
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Are you saying like it's slipping in gear? When you push the gas, it revs but the transmission doesn't engage?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
corndogduff

It sounds like you have a slipping transmission. You can look into the writeups about transmission band adjustments, which aren't TOO hard, or take it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild it and install a shift kit which is DEFINITELY worth your time/money if you can find someone to do it right.
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

Yeah it sounds bad like some metal is comming and revs go up but car dont, and it is sometimes when I push the gas pedal to the ground fast. When I drive normal it never shows.

2corndogduff transmission band adjustment? what is that?

This is my first automatic transmission car, so I dont know how it works exactly.

Thanks guys!
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
corndogduff

Totally cliche, but this should give you a good primer on auto transmissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.