1996 ZJ eletrical problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 ZJ eletrical problems.

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

View Poll Results: whats your favorite place to eat?
HOOTERS 7 46.67%
Outback 3 20.00%
Logans 1 6.67%
five guys 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
bcarter92

1996 ZJ eletrical problems.

I have seen a bunch of people have the same problem for the coolant sensor bad and coolant level low message on the display screen. But the display screen doesnt want to stay on it like glitches and sometimes doesnt even come on. Another thing is sometimes when i crank up it idles at like 2000 rpms.Help

bcarter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

what the HELL is up with the poll at the top LMFAO that's funny.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Lol I like the poll.

Well, the coolant level low thing is just a bad solder in the Vic. Coupled With the flickering, I'd say grab another Vic honestly. I paid what, 20 bucks for one? Or live without it. They're cheaply made and 15 years old. it's a common failure of the Vic.

If you're interested in saving it, there's a few write ups on where the bad solder is and how to fix it.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
LinBaba

I like Pie.....and....Boobies

and have strange intermittent electrical problems with my 96 5.2 LTD
LinBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I like tacos and melons with a side order of rump roast.

All common problems that are easy to fix.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
I like tacos and melons with a side order of rump roast.

Plenty of lights
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
goldshellback
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

My issue has been that I lose the gauge cluster while driving. Lights on it work but no gauges. My a/c will then start running warm air, my windows wont work. Here is what I dont understand at all. There are times that you can open the drivers door and they will start working again, you hit bumps in the road and will start working but most of the time lately it stays out. Tracking this down is becoming a heartache.

How easy a fix? Thisis killing me
goldshellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

hooters is in the lead
Plenty of lights
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I would check the drivers door wiring and connector. If that checks out I would check the BCM under the dash.

The "Body control modules" are built very poorly on the 96 models. I had one that would stop charging in cold winter weather and had to be restarted to get it to charge again, once the inside of the jeep heated up all was fine. It took me a year and a half you track down the problem since it only happened in the coldest weather. After checking all wiring and connectors that I though could be related, and after changing the PCM, alternator and ignition switch. I pulled out the BCM and cracked it open to find that one of the capacitors only had one leg soldered into the mainboard while the other leg just sat on the soldering joint. I heated up the joint and popped the other leg in there and needless to say drove the jeep another two winters without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
My issue has been that I lose the gauge cluster while driving. Lights on it work but no gauges. My a/c will then start running warm air, my windows wont work. Here is what I dont understand at all. There are times that you can open the drivers door and they will start working again, you hit bumps in the road and will start working but most of the time lately it stays out. Tracking this down is becoming a heartache.

How easy a fix? Thisis killing me
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
goldshellback
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I would check the drivers door wiring and connector. If that checks out I would check the BCM under the dash.
Roger that. I'll check that out this afternoon. Thanks for that heads-up.
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
goldshellback
1996 ZJ 

FWIW, after getting under the steering column and disconnecting/reconnecting the BCM and checking all the wires....... AND...... cleaning the battery terminals and verifying all grounds were connected and good, my gauge cluster/AC/windows/locks/anti-theft 'SEEMS' to be corrected/fixed.

I didn't have to remove the dash and gauge cluster and check those connections and thank goodness I didn't have to pony-up for a BCM!

Hope that helps a few of ya. Using my google-fu and searching this site and reviewing ya'lls experience's and knowledge helped TREMENDOUSLY!

Thanx ya'll!
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

No problem the bill is in the mail.LOL

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.