1996 sunroof issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 sunroof issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
Speedymcracer01

I agree ill just take it out and do some further investigating until i figure out what has come loose

Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Dukcaln

still trouble shooting, nothing yet, errr
1996 ZJ V8 LIMITED @ 70,335 ORG MILES | DARK ROSEWOOD PEARL PAINT DE-BADGED | FULLY LOADED W/LEATHER MATCHING CORBEAU FRONT BUCKET SEATS | 3 1/2" SUSPENSION LIFT | 31" WRANGLER DURA TRAC TIRES | 15" PRO COMP WHEELS | K&N INTAKE | MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST | HI FLOW CAT | SAFARI RACK | FRONT BUMPER MOD| CD-IPOD | AMPS | SUB (17 YR OLDS RIDE)
Dukcaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #18
Speedymcracer01

I have not had time to look into the problem here lately. I've had to stay up with no sleep just to get my jeep running so i could get to work. I got my jeep going again after staying up over 24 hours cuz i had to go back to work shortly after i got it running again. I made it to work then i came home and slept till time to go back to work. Sure enough after i get off from work my wife calls telling me her car is messed up as well " which is also her only way to work". My wife stays 40 miles away from where I'm staying right now so i packed my tools up and went to work on her car. I got done with her car just in time to make it to work a hour late today. I am totally exhausted right now i just got off from work... I will post anything i find out about the issue with the sunroof just as soon as i find the time to tear into it. I hope it will be in the next couple of days sorry its taking so long i know you must be igore to find a solution for yours like i am mine
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Dukcaln

thanks, sorry to hear the trouble you are having. I have not looked closer to mine either, please advice when you get some sleep and have a go at it
1996 ZJ V8 LIMITED @ 70,335 ORG MILES | DARK ROSEWOOD PEARL PAINT DE-BADGED | FULLY LOADED W/LEATHER MATCHING CORBEAU FRONT BUCKET SEATS | 3 1/2" SUSPENSION LIFT | 31" WRANGLER DURA TRAC TIRES | 15" PRO COMP WHEELS | K&N INTAKE | MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST | HI FLOW CAT | SAFARI RACK | FRONT BUMPER MOD| CD-IPOD | AMPS | SUB (17 YR OLDS RIDE)
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Speedymcracer01

Will do
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
NinetySevenZJay
1996 ZJ 

if your fuse is good and your solder joints are good, go grab a motor from the junkyard
NinetySevenZJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
Speedymcracer01

Ok guys sorry it has been a good minute since I updated on this thread. I've had one set back after another between my jeep and my car. But I finally went and bought another book for my jeep" my 3 yr old decided I didn't need a couple dozen pages, and now it's Mia". Anyways I went and bought a multimeter last night so I could start checking the circuits and everything. I just got back home and i'm having a little trouble finding the wiring diagrams for the sunroof for my 98. I found the diagrams for the power locks, and power windows. Does anybody know if the sunroof diagram is mixed in with the power windows wiring diagrams?? I have the Haynes jeep grand Cherokee 1993-2004. Book number is 50025.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
Dukcaln

bump as I would like to know. Also, how hard is it to replace the sunroof sliding lid?
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
Speedymcracer01

I couldn't tell you. I can take a look though my manual while i have it out but it might take a bit I'm waiting on my wife to call me.she is coming down for the week end. Sadley she can't make it from one end of a paper bag to the other with out getting lost so I'll be gone for a bit to meet her. But I will see what I can do for you when I get back if I can't find you anything before then, or before someone else sheds some light on the subject. What year and model do you have?
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #25
Dukcaln

thanks speedy, no hurry I am headed out Tahoe for the night. be back tomorrow, no issues. the roof in mine is missing the material and rattles like crazy, I also want to get the dang thing to open, meaning the motor or connections,,,
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
Speedymcracer01

No problem I know how it is mine will lift the back of the glass up if you push the button forward but that's all it does it will not lay it back down or slide the glass back to open it
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
Speedymcracer01

Ok guys I finally got around to diagnosing my sunroof issue today and ,a couple other wiring problems I had. The sunroof has good connections. I used a multimeter to check the wiring from the switch in the over head console to the wiring harness " the harness is black, and located on the passenger side above the back seat inside the head liner,above the interior panel that is beside/behind the back seat" but the connections from the switch to the black harness tested good so I plugged the harness back up and then tested the connections from the switch to the micro board. The multlimeter beeped indicating a good connection. But if you engage the switch you can hear the clicks in the micro board but it does nothing but moves forward and raises the sunroof glass up. Well after tracing a few wires down. I found out the three wires from the switch change at the black harness. The blue wire changes to white. The white wire changes to blue. The green and black wire changes to grey. Then the harness adds a black wire.... I took the switch in the over head console apart then took a wire and inserted it into the hot wire terminal " green/black wire" on the switch the white wire is the one that moves the glass backwards into the open position. On the micro board it changes to the blue wire. So just take the wire thats inserted into the switch and touch it to the blue wire connection on the micro board. That closed my sunroof.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.