JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   1996 sunroof issue (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1996-sunroof-issue-1571981/)

Dukcaln 09-05-2013 09:35 PM

1996 sunroof issue

any common issues that cause the sunroof to not work? bad motor, fuse?

Kingr98 09-05-2013 10:10 PM

If doesn't do anything, try holding tne switch in either direction and tapping with your hand on the ceiling about a foot behind the center overhead console. Sometimes the solder joints in the small circuit board that holds the relay start to crack. If that's your problem, it is a very cheap fix, but it takes some work to get to it.

Speedymcracer01 09-05-2013 10:33 PM

My 98 sunroof wouldn't go back it would go forward and lift the back up but it wouldn't close or slide back after words.one day i was messing with it and it seemed to work when my subs would hit with some hard bass so i would pop the head liner around where the motor is located and it would work i tracked it down to the wiring. The motor is fine if i wiggle acouple wires it works fine but after a few months that quit working also thats as far as i have dug into the problem "so many other problems poor Heep"

Kingr98 09-05-2013 10:41 PM

Speedy, I had the exact same symptoms. If your headliner is out, you will see a small black case just in front of the sunroof motor that all the wires go to. If you pop off the cover, there is a circuit card in there. There are cracked solder joints on that card. When you wiggle the wires, you are helping it make connection. If you refloat all of the solder joints on that card (there aren't that many), it will fix your problem.

Speedymcracer01 09-05-2013 11:02 PM

Thanks king i was 75% sure that was the issue i just haven't had time to look into it.my sunroof has been in the up position for months now every time it rains i either have to park up on a angle or tarp it so water doesn't run in. glad to know, that shouldn't take long to fix compared to everything else on my to do list well except for the sway bar thats childs play lol

Dukcaln 09-06-2013 08:46 AM

thanks all I will give it a try

Kingr98 09-06-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 (Post 15877575)
Thanks king i was 75% sure that was the issue i just haven't had time to look into it.my sunroof has been in the up position for months now every time it rains i either have to park up on a angle or tarp it so water doesn't run in. glad to know, that shouldn't take long to fix compared to everything else on my to do list well except for the sway bar thats childs play lol

Having to tarp it everytime I thought it might rain would move the sunroof way up my priority list....just sayin

Speedymcracer01 09-06-2013 10:43 PM

[QUOTE="Kingr98;15880041"]

Having to tarp it everytime I thought it might rain would move the sunroof way up my priority list....just sayin[/QUOTE.
Its my every day driver so its my only way of getting to work and my side jobs, at this moment my front suspention is completely shot everything from the driver side spindle to the coil springs,i was going to get ball joints this week but my tire was slashed yesterday while going down the road i have no idea what did it,but it left a 5 inch long tear down the middle of my tread it completely screwed my tire so their went my ball joint money. then nothing has been done to the ignition system in a couple years so the tarp will just have to buy me some more time till i see better days

Kingr98 09-07-2013 07:10 AM

You said earlier that you could wiggle the wires to the sunroof motor and get it to work. Does that mean your headliner is out?

If your headliner is already out, you could have the sunroof controller card out, reset each of the solder joints, and re-installed in under an hour. Would cost you nothing but time (as long as you have access to a solder iron).

Speedymcracer01 09-07-2013 11:25 AM

Wiggling the wire use to work. Doesn't anymore though and like most jeeps like mine the headliner was drooping so i took it out

Speedymcracer01 09-10-2013 01:59 AM

Ok i checked the wires inside the plastic casing they have not broke or cracked on the micro board. One did have some obvious marks of corrosion but thats not the same wire i had to wiggle before for it to work though

Kingr98 09-10-2013 05:06 AM

If you are holding the switch in either direction and lightly tap on the relay on that circuit card with a screwdriver, does the sunroof move?

Speedymcracer01 09-10-2013 05:36 AM

Let me get my ignition system back together and put the battery back in and I'll give it a shot

Speedymcracer01 09-10-2013 06:07 AM

Ok i tapped on both relays on the curcuit card and still nothing

Kingr98 09-10-2013 11:24 AM

When you described wiggling the wires to make it work, it sounded just like my issue. But, I could always make it work by pushing the switch at the same time that I tapped the relay. I have not had the problem again since I re-soldered the connections on the card.

I still think that you have a loose connection of some type if at one point you could wiggle a wire to make it work. Whatever was loose before has most likely lost connection completly now.

The time now is 12:50 PM.