1996 Jeep ZJ 4.0 will not crank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Jeep ZJ 4.0 will not crank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Hani96zj
1996 ZJ 

1996 Jeep ZJ 4.0 will not crank

Hello guys,

I am new to the jeep world and this forum. I just purchased a fairly clean 96 grand cherokee laredo 2wd. The jeep has ran ok, but was hesitating quite a bit. I went ahead and cleaned throttle body, replaced TPS and seems to be better. Now heres where the issues begin, the next morning i changed the oil and the spark plugs. Once I completed the work I tried to start it. Once I turned the key the jeep cranked a couple of times and would not start. When i tried to start the third time it would not even turn over. The battery checked ok so i went ahead and replaced the starter. I am still having the same issue, it will not crank at all, just a click from the solenoid. Any ideas?

Thank!
Hani

Hani96zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Sounds like the battery to me. Although try connecting the starter straight to the battery.
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
ngould1
1996 ZJ 

Make sure your firing order is correct. I only say this because you said you just changed spark plugs and this happened. Hope this helps.
ngould1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Firing order wouldn't prohibit the engine cranking over.

Mine did this when the ground from battery to inner fenderwell was bad. Cleaned it up and reattached it and it fired right up. This could be your problem, also make sure the batt terminals are clean and tight.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Rimfired
1993 ZJ 

The fact that it ran BEFORE you changed the plugs, I would start there. Check that all your wires are properly seated on the plugs and distributor, especially the coil wire. Did it run after cleaning the TB? Make sure the IAC is plugged back in. Check to see if your plugs are getting spark.
Rimfired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

He's not getting power to or from the starter for some reason.. it wont crank over. If the firing order or coil wire were an issue it'd still crank over.

It did crank for a bit then the solenoid started clicking, indicating less than required amperage to turn the starter over. His issues lies with a connection somewhere..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.