Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1996 Jeep ZJ 4.0 will not crank

733 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  OverlandZJ 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I am new to the jeep world and this forum. I just purchased a fairly clean 96 grand cherokee laredo 2wd. The jeep has ran ok, but was hesitating quite a bit. I went ahead and cleaned throttle body, replaced TPS and seems to be better. Now heres where the issues begin, the next morning i changed the oil and the spark plugs. Once I completed the work I tried to start it. Once I turned the key the jeep cranked a couple of times and would not start. When i tried to start the third time it would not even turn over. The battery checked ok so i went ahead and replaced the starter. I am still having the same issue, it will not crank at all, just a click from the solenoid. Any ideas?

Thank!
Hani

#5 ·
The fact that it ran BEFORE you changed the plugs, I would start there. Check that all your wires are properly seated on the plugs and distributor, especially the coil wire. Did it run after cleaning the TB? Make sure the IAC is plugged back in. Check to see if your plugs are getting spark.

#6 ·
He's not getting power to or from the starter for some reason.. it wont crank over. If the firing order or coil wire were an issue it'd still crank over.

It did crank for a bit then the solenoid started clicking, indicating less than required amperage to turn the starter over. His issues lies with a connection somewhere..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.