1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Transmission Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Transmission Problem

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
mbg-jeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Transmission Problem

My daughters Jeep won't shift out of 1st gear. I took it for a test and it doesn't shift out of first but I did find if I let off the gas and press it again the trans totally slips - like it's in neutral. (fluid level is fine but was a little low when she turned it over to dad - maybe 3/4 of a quart low. But I did the test after adding the fluid)

Any ideas?

Thanks

More info - if I let the engine RPM get to 3000 then let of the gas and then back on the gas there is no power (trans slips). If the car coasts down to about 20MPH it re-engages to low.

mbg-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your throttle position sensor is directly involved in shifting characteristics of the transmission. I would start by testing that.

As these forums are "platform specific", you should post this thread in the GRAND Cherokee forum. This is the CHEROKEE (XJ) forum.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
mbg-jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
Your throttle position sensor is directly involved in shifting characteristics of the transmission. I would start by testing that.

As these forums are "platform specific", you should post this thread in the GRAND Cherokee forum. This is the CHEROKEE (XJ) forum.
I should have mentioned - I checked the TPS and it was around 4 volts at WOT and .2 closed.

Mike
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
mbg-jeep

Ok - I checked the error codes and found the following:

P0740 - TCC Circuit Malfunction
P1756 - Gov press not equal to target @ not 15-20psi

I look for these on the web and see many suggest it's the gov press sensor & gov solenoid valve. These are around $300 so want to make sure it's worth a shot???

Mike
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbg-jeep View Post
Ok - I checked the error codes and found the following:

P0740 - TCC Circuit Malfunction
P1756 - Gov press not equal to target @ not 15-20psi

I look for these on the web and see many suggest it's the gov press sensor & gov solenoid valve. These are around $300 so want to make sure it's worth a shot???

Mike
NAPA Part Numbers:
Governor Pressure Sensor: ATP 16832 Approx. $96.48

I couldn't find a listing on the valve. But I would try the sensor first before anything. Honestly, you could probably just return it if it didnt fix the problem. Just make sure its nice and clean, lol. Good luck.

oh, and it might help if you post in the correct forum
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Thatrussokid
1996 ZJ 

Old post but I'm going threw this problem right now. But I switched the gov sensor an solenoid. But still no luck tps fine think one of the bands in the tranny snapped so looks like I'm swapping one
Thatrussokid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
firemanjoe6982

96 jeep Cherokee 4x4 will manually shift through the gears just fine. Take off in drive/overdrive the rpms will jump up and shift back down. Give it a little more gas and it will shift back into overdrive and the rpms comes back down. It does it all the time and drives me **** crazy. I have already replace the tps and it is a different transmission with the same problem as the original. Any suggestions?
firemanjoe6982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

adjust throttle valve cable. Google in the search upper left corner
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.