1996 Jeep grand cherokee laredo (control arm torque specs) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Jeep grand cherokee laredo (control arm torque specs)

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Draven_Caine
1996 ZJ 

1996 Jeep grand cherokee laredo (control arm torque specs)

As the title states I am looking for the torque specs for the front, rear, upper and lower control arms. (yes I am replacing all eight)
Also I was told I can change these pretty simply with the Jeep still on all four tires? Should I take the weight off the one tire that I am change the control arm on?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Draven_Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

Suspension Arm Upper Nuts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .75 Nm (55ft. lbs.) Suspension Arm Lower Axle Bracket Nut. . . . . . . . . . .115 Nm (85ft. lbs.
Google search.
Do one at a time
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

Suspension Arm Upper Nuts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .75 Nm (55ft. lbs.) Suspension Arm Lower Nuts. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .177 Nm (130 ft. lbs.)

For the rears^
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Welcome to JF!

Front axle is easier with it dropped down, especially if you're changing the axle bushings.

Have everything down sitting normally before tightening so the bushings aren't torqued.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Draven_Caine
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Welcome to JF!

Front axle is easier with it dropped down, especially if you're changing the axle bushings.

Have everything down sitting normally before tightening so the bushings aren't torqued.
Ont he front upper control arms, the end connecting to the axle is a bracket that sits ont he axle bracket with a bushing in between the two brackets, what si this bushing called. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Upper control arm bushing.

About $6 each at Rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...773656-1221578
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Your local parts store may have this in stock also.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Draven_Caine
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Upper control arm bushing.

About $6 each at Rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...773656-1221578
Mine is a 1996 jeep but I don't think that will matter much. Alos are these bushing pressed in?
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven_Caine View Post
... Alos are these bushing pressed in?
Yes they are pressed into the arms except for the front axle uppers. They are pressed into the axle.
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Draven_Caine
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
Yes they are pressed into the arms except for the front axle uppers. They are pressed into the axle.
Ok, now is there a assembly for the axle upper that has the bushing already pressed in, this was the reason I bought the full control arm to avoid the pressed in work.
I know sounds like a dumb question bt I have to avoid doing the pressed in part due to my tools, work area, ect.
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

No, the bushing sleeve is cast into the pumpkin on the drivers side and the passenger is a welded on bracket.
Do not final torque the bolts till the full weight of the vehicle is on the tires.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Front upper axle bushings... something like this (pumpkin mount ratmonkey mentioned)...

Then...

Then all that's left is pressing the new bushings in...
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Draven_Caine
1996 ZJ 

Ok all the control arms are on and in place. The rears are torqued down, now to the front. I had one question first ...
If I turn my wheel all the way one way the top of my tire leans out. For example if I turn my wheels all the way right, the top of my passanger-side wheel lean out. Is this fixed by the caster (think that is the name) washers? The washers on the lower front control arms when the control arm connects to the axle?
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Draven_Caine
1996 ZJ 

I just wanted to drop an update up for those that were helping me with this issue.
I have all the control arms on and the rear and 2 of the fronts are torqued down. Due to my tools right now I can get to some of the bolts so a buddy of mine is going to do it that works at a shop.
Also here is my write up of the Job http://www.keris-treasure-box.com/au...o/control-arms

The Jeep handles and drive like a dream again, thanks everyone for putting up with my dumb questions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.