1996 Grand Cherokee - Won't Start (Sometimes) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Grand Cherokee - Won't Start (Sometimes)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-01-2004, 01:48 AM   #1
muzicman82
2011 WK 

1996 Grand Cherokee - Won't Start (Sometimes)

Ok, I'm going to try my best to describe what is happening...

The Jeep is a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited.. It has 209,000 miles on it. Yes, I know that is a lot, but its had lots of maintenance done to it...

Basically, when I turn the key to start it sometimes, I hear the starter motor turn, but the engine doesn't catch... Sometimes, the engine starts to but doesn't quite make it... After repeatedly trying to start it, it will eventually kick in with no problem whatsoever.

The rest of the time, it starts fine... It did it more often than now, but I replaced all 8 spark plugs, and it worked with no problem for about a week.

One noticable thing (so far) is that the last two times it hasn't started right up, it has been cold, like 30 degrees at the lowest.. But don't take that as too much evidence...

Is this most likely starter related or could it be fuel delivery related?

Your ideas on what to inspect would rock!

I believe the starter was replaced about a year ago...

The Jeep is on its 3rd fuel pump... but I don't think that's the problem because once it starts, its fine...

What are the symptoms that the fuel filter needs replaced??

muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
fureyj

Mine also does that everyonce and a while. I try to start but wont run turn key to lock and then start and it starts. I also have no idea what causes it. My Jeep is a 96 with the 5.2L but only 81,??? miles.
fureyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
muzicman82
2011 WK 

I just replaced the battery cable end posts... It looked like they could be a tad loose... There were two cables leading from each post. I believe one of the positive cables leads to the power distribution box, and the other leads to the starter. If the one leading to the starter was loose, this would explain why it would sometimes not start, but other power in the vehicle would seem fine? Just a guess. I did that, and there hasn't been a problem thus far. I'll post again once the problem is back...
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2004, 02:23 AM   #4
RockPaws

What is the fuel pressure when its first started or tryed to start? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
It could be a connector loose or dirty. I had a number of connectors with problems on my 96' ZJ.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Harald

Agree with RockPaws. Had same problem on my 98 GCL V8. Error was defect cell in battery. If the system do not recieve high enough voltage, the motor will shut off. To me the car turned bad over a week end. New battery, problem solved. Bad battery connectors, or any other bad connector in the system dealing with fuel or timing could give situation as described.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.