1996 Grand Cherokee - Stalling Out! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Grand Cherokee - Stalling Out!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
muzicman82
2011 WK 

1996 Grand Cherokee - Stalling Out!

Ok, what does this sound like to you?

If you've followed my few posts around here, my ZJ has about 293,000 miles right now, but for the most part, runs terrific. I've got no complaints. It has the 5.2L V8.

Although, it has this strange problem stalling out from idle.. It'll do it for some weeks or so, then be fine for months, then come back.

When it does idle, it is around 500-750 RPM, which is about where it has always been.

It seems that most of the time it stalls out is after I apply a good amount of engine rev, to something like 1,500 RPM, then completely let go of the gas. The engine RPMs drop below 500 RPM, and sometimes it'll kick itself back up to idle, and other times it'll stall out. So, as you can expect, getting around parking lots can take some time. I can always start back up, but because it stalls out, battery voltage drops from 14.4V to 9-12V.

When this has happened in the past, I have found that simply cleaning my battery terminals helps. The battery, alternator, fuel filter, spark plugs are all new (within 6-12 months old). I don't even know if this is electrical power related or fuel/engine related... I also regularly use Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner.

Any ideas?

muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
matdmoor87

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling

Check the idle air control valve sensor. If it is stalling only under sudden acceleration from a complete stop, check the wires in the wiring harness for breaks or burns. If you slightly move the wiring harness while the vehicle is running and the engine stalls completely out, this is a good indication that there is a bad connection in the wiring. It will be the white wire in the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8 Limited. This wire controls the Throttle Position Sensor, Map Sensor, and various others. While the break in a wire can be anywhere throughout the harness, I have found that most breaks occur on the right side of the engine, close to the pcm, in the upper bend of the harness before crossing over the rear of the engine goin towards the drivers side of the vehicle.
matdmoor87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.