1996 Grand Cherokee Owner's Manual - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Grand Cherokee Owner's Manual

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

1996 Grand Cherokee Owner's Manual

Is it for sale? NO!
Is is free? Well, sorta...

Here's the deal. In a fit of self immolation, I disassembled my owner's manual, and scanned all 268 pages (including covers) into a .pdf file (that's Adobe Acrobat for those of you who don't know, and you know who you are!).
So anyway, I don't know why I did it, but I did, and now I need to do something with it. The darn thing turned out to be about 520 megs, so it is too big to email or post online, so I figure that if anybody here is interested I wouldn't mind burning copies of it and mailing it to them. Here's where the money part comes in... I'm not made of it, in fact, I am a firm believer in deficit spending, so I can't afford to foot the cost of making these things and mailing them. So I figure media mail is about 2 bucks to anywhere in this country (USA), a disk is about a buck, an envelope is about fiddy cent. Oh, and there's that one mile walk to the post office.
So, anyway, anybody that is willing to fork over 4 bucks US deserves to get a copy. Remember, this is for the 1996 Grand Cherokee, and yes, it covers the Laredo and Limited. Now this is going to require a certain amount of trust on your part, since I can't afford to front the cost of many of these, so PM me if you want one and we'll get together and figure it out. Oh, and not to forget our brothers and sisters to the north, I will be happy to send you a copy, just keep in mind shipping is probably a bit higher.
And while I'm at it, I'm sure I can't control what you do with this document after you receive it, but it would totally bum me out (and probably violate a couple copyright laws) if I started seeing CD's of 1996 Grand Cherokee Owner's Manuals cropping up on eBay or somesuch. (I think that takes care of the fine print )

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
geargrinder387
1996 XJ Cherokee 

new to the forum, but i'm in need of a owners manual, this thing has so many options, buttons, switches, etc., i want to know what they are all for. thanks,,, that's if it's for a 96 grand cherokee laredo 4x4, with 6 banger
geargrinder387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
Horseygirl70

New 1996 LARREDO

Hi
I have just purchased a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo because some idiot P plater ran into my 95 Cherokee Ltd causing it to roll twice up the highway at 80km/hr! I recently towed 2 horses on a route that included quite a steep hill. My old Cherokee had no problems with it but this Laredo struggled, changing down long after running out of revs in each gear & it seemed to not go into 1st gear. Besides the fact it shouldn't have needed to drop down that far in the first place, why didn't it?? It was a real heart in the mouth moment. It has been suggested to start with a auto trans service. No history came with the car & the pensioner I bought it from only owned it for 3 months.
He has already lied to me about the trailer brakes, so am now doubting the condition this car is really in. Any help is hugely appreciated.
How about sending that owners manual to Australia???
Many thanks
Horseygirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

If you have the owners manual on your pc just put it in either a .zip file or .rar file. Once you do that upload it to one of the online storage sites and make the download link available. A lot of people upload to sites like rapidshare.com, wupload.com, etc. If you do that then anyone can go and download it 24/7. Some of the storage sites will only let you store the files for a certain number of days or months, so be sure you check the rules. Also, you don't have to join in order to upload files, I do it all the time for free.

Don't get concerned about having the "copywrite police" knocking on your door. Although the manual is probably copy writed by Chrysler/Jeep, I'm sure they have far more important things to worry about than someone posting an owners manual to website.
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Holy dead post Batman! The original post is from 2004, which seriously bums me out, I wanted to get a copy of this!

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I have a 97 manual if you need a specific piece of info out of it.
Yeah....I'm a stickler for keeping paperwork. ( I even have the window sticker with my name on it, since I ordered it)

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Thanks! Nothin specific that I needed right now but I'll definitely keep it in mind if I come across something. I saw this post pop up in the feed and was going to PM the guy but the Forum wouldn't let me. In trying to figure out why I finally noticed his original post date.

One of these days I'll pick up a book, they're usually more than I want to spend though and thought this was a wicked deal!

That's cool that you still have the sticker! My ZJ has been in so many peoples hands that I have hardly any records on it.

www.dirtjunk.com
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Dang! Just did a quick search on ebay for a book because I hadn't done one in awhile and found they aren't so blasted expensive anymore.

EDIT - turns out that was just the CD The Hard copy books are still pricey. The CD along is $26.xx Crazy!

www.dirtjunk.com

Last edited by GoGetEmTurbo; 04-17-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Quick draw McGraw!
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
keastland
1996 ZJ 

Apparently the original poster didn't know how to "optimize" the pdf in Acrobat when he created it ;-) That's too bad, I need this manual too.
keastland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

I don't have the '96, but I have a '98 FSM I can email, as well as the 46RE FSM and the factory parts diagrams!

I ordered the paper copy I had for my TJ from the dealership. Paid almost $250 for it. CD would have been $100.

Anyone have a copy of the '98 owners manual? Or know if there is a FSM for the 5.9l engine?
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/

Cost me $8.00.

Looks good.

They seem to have every year.

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

They have the FSM's, I was looking for the actual Owner's Manual. The dumbed-down, "how to use your new vehicle" guide. Don't know why I want it, probably just to have it. What I would really like to find is a Magnum engine manual. I would assume such a thing exists, and it might be one book covering both sizes. I think that book would be well worth having around.
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
jeffcox
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

96 manual

Meerkat, I would be most interested. Can email at jcox44@hotmail.com. Thanks
jeffcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcox View Post
Meerkat, I would be most interested. Can email at jcox44@hotmail.com. Thanks
Hey Jeff, Welcome to the forum. You should find another source for your manual. This post is 9 years old.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
edwardwhitecalf

christmas wish question

HI. THIS IS EDWARD. Is there any way Anybody can tell me or even show me where to plug in the block heater cord. Its my dads jeep. 1996 cherokee.. hes an elder. Its cold and im his son. Just need to know where it is(the plug on motor) because i have the actual cord 3prong end. Just cant see whwere to plug. Thank u
edwardwhitecalf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.