1996 grand cherokee.. NO OVERDRIVE!! HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 grand cherokee.. NO OVERDRIVE!! HELP!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

1996 grand cherokee.. NO OVERDRIVE!! HELP!

bought this 96 limted v8 in january. when i bought it the kickdown cable was broke so i figured thats why the overdrive didnt work. replaced that and adjusted it to the specs and still nothing. even put it on a lift and had my buddy run it at 60 while i adjusted the cable and still nothing. Weird thing is it worked great about a month after i got it.. for about an hour then stopped and never worked since. I put new governor sensor and transducer in it and the od solenoid and still got nothing... The fluid has some metal shavings in it but not too bad. It doesnt try to shift into od or slip at all, all other dears work perfect. on my vehicle information center it flashes bad coolant sensor but thats just for the one in the overlow right? My dash temperature works normal, and not to mention the warning isnt always on and overdrive still dont work when its not flashing. anyone have any ideas?? Come up with this code when i turn the key forward a few times... reads out where my mileage is...
Code 37
Relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement. An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid control circuit. Incorrect input state detected for the Park/Neutral switch. Auto only.

drewpenzkover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
peasant
1994 ZJ 

My 94 is doing something similar, I was suggested the transmission speed sensor, but I am not sure if that controls the speedometer. If it does then that is not the problem.

Does yours downshift to 1st when you stop or is there a hesitation/you have to do it manually?
peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
baxy

you need to have it scanned and see what is preventing lockup an od
these are seperatly controlled by the computer apart from the first three gears
PCM must see less than 270 deg trans temp, 40-50 MPH ect, ect
so you definatly need to pay for a scan
check the basics first like the fuse and relay that powers OD and LU solenoid
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

yeah it downshifts fine like normal... everything works great just wont shift to overdrive... fuses are good relays are good all around... my tranny shop said said something about unhooking all the plugs on my tranny and hooking it to a "box" and controling my tranny off that and if it shifts into overdrive that way it narrows it down to something outside the tranny... vise versa if it doesnt shift into od then something with tranny... just dont have the funds for that procedure right now
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
baxy

anyone with a good knowledge of this trans and a scanner can diagnose it no need for a shaefer shifter
plus it wont operated the 3 speed part of the trans
you should get it scanned and see if there is any transmission codes present
you could verify if the trans is getting power , and that the solenoid is being actuated
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

I had a similiar problem on my 93 ZJ V8 for 2 years till I figured out what it was. I sounds like you stop light switch (the switch on the brake pedal that controls the brake lights, cruise control, and overdrive.) is bad. I would test to see if it is bad or replace it. My brakes lights worked so that was the last thing I checked, as soon as I replaced it I had my CC bad and OD.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

did your cruise work? mine works... when i first got the brake lights stuck on a few times but it stopped after i used them a few times...
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

well i was excited deep down inside when i thought the brake switch could be the problem... i have a 94 grand cherokee also so i switched the switches and with my luck... nothing changed at all! so back to the drawing board! is the sensor that senses the tranny temperature on the od solenoid? replaced that od solenoid. when i cruise at 60mph and tap the brake it definately kicks up a few hundred rpms so the tc is locking in 3rd but thats all the further it goes. wouldnt think its my park/neutral switch cuz it only starts in park and neutral, and wont start if i unplug it and when its running and i unplug it, it idles funny. is it possible it could be just stuck saying its in park? and since it says it in park it wont send the signal to hit od? what is the sensor that screws in on the bottom of the tranny, 2 wires i believe, and when you take it out tranny fluid pours out? any other sensors on the outside to check?
and what is part throttle unlock control solenoid?
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

easy to remove park neutral safety switch on my 96 limited with 44RE? whats all involved? how do i remove it? any wires? any info will help
Unread 06-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

anyone? any more ideas?
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
baxy

have it diagnosed instead of guessing
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

i know... laid off of work right now don't have money to throw at the shop for a scan.. sucks. guess ill have to wait it out til i get some cash!
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
baxy

see if a shop will print you off the wiring diagram and follow as much as you can
Unread 06-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #14
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I assumed that you had a bad OD solenoid when you first posted. Since you switched that with no luck, it must be something else. Might the OD switch itself be bad? I know that my headlight dimmer switch module in my old 97 ZJ went bad after about eight years. It is possible that your switch is unwilling to take "OD Off" off.

Personally, I would pay for diagnosis. It may be cheaper than buying a new transmission if something bad is really wrong. My ZJ transmission died at 48K in late 1999. I had only had the vehicle for six months at that time. The replacement transmission is still going strong at over 230K miles right now.

'06 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, Quadra-Drive II, Black, 118K Miles
'02 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red, 98K Miles
kentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
drewpenzkover
1996 ZJ 

could it be the transmission output sensor by chance??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.