1996 Grand Cherokee- I have questions! and a problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Grand Cherokee- I have questions! and a problem

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Spify
1996 ZJ 

1996 Grand Cherokee- I have questions! and a problem

Alright so i've got a 96 GC with 260k miles on it. It runs great and is very reliable but I want to restore it to as close to new as possible I was wondering what should I do? I would like to do as much of it on my own as possible. I am mechanically inclined and work on stealth bombers for a living so I am up for any task. First off, it was raining pretty hard today and I noticed that rain water was leaking from below my glove box I've only had my jeep for about a month now and I tried tracing the leak but didn't have such great luck. I recently had a new windshield installed because the previous one was cracked is there any way i can test the seal of the windshield? when the new one was installed the man had to remove the windshield to even access the seal. As far as I could tell he did a good job I watched him as he did it. I am thinking maybe water is running in from under the hood? Any ideas? thanks guys

Spify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

try running a garden hose where you suspect it is leaking from. Start down low, and work your way up, and you should be able to find out where the water is coming in.

With that said, I think you will have better luck over in the XJ area. This is the FSJ (Full Size Jeep) section. Just a F.Y.I. They stopped making full size jeeps in 1991.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Pop off the windshield wipers and remove the plastic cowl cover. Check that all your drains in that cowl/AC intake area are free of leaves and other things that can block the drains causing it to back up and flood in through your AC/Heater intake. Also check the AC Evap drain line where it runs through the firewall on the lower passenger side, make certain its clear or all the condensation from the AC and any other water that enters the Evap/Heater box will make its way onto the floor on the pass side. I would be leery of the windshield seals though.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

First thing, I want to thank you for your service.
Next......does your Jeep have a sunroof?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Ditto I missed the service part. Thanks to men and women like you I have the things I have and associated freedoms! If you were close to Austin I would be glad to help find and fix it.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

There is a reason a good number of jeeps have passenger carpet cut out, common problem either A/C or cowl intake as stated above or maybe both.
cbr900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

+1 on cowl seals

The orange stuff in this pic is where I resealed. Your old sealant is probably white or grey and likely is dried out and cracking. Scrape it out and replace with new RTV. I didn't have to remove the cowl shield to do it though.

JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post

With that said, I think you will have better luck over in the XJ area. This is the FSJ (Full Size Jeep) section. Just a F.Y.I. They stopped making full size jeeps in 1991.
Eh? Did this thread get moved from over there?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Spify
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
+1 on cowl seals

The orange stuff in this pic is where I resealed. Your old sealant is probably white or grey and likely is dried out and cracking. Scrape it out and replace with new RTV. I didn't have to remove the cowl shield to do it though.

this has got to be the problem, mine is white and cracking really bad I suspected this as the culprit i'll add some more sealant to it! thanks a lot appreciate the idea i hope that's the only problem
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Spify
1996 ZJ 

Also I would like to thank you guys for supporting me as a member of the Airforce it means a lot I just joined this forum yesterday and already feel at home thanks guys!
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

Yeah, hopefully adding some RTV next to the cowl will fix your leak below the glove compartment when raining.

If you ever have a wet passenger floor when running the AC system you may want to follow the below procedure for clearing the HVAC box/housing drain line. Not the best design where you can't get to it to clear the clog and it empties into the frame. I usually use a small wire for pulling any stuff to the inside after drilling the 1/4" hole. Watch running full psi compressed air up in there and use maybe 50psi. I just put a piece of duct tape over the hole rather than a rubber plug covered with RTV and it doesn't leak.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-drain-501895/

Noticed in your 1st post you have a 96 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) so you may want to change this to 1996 ZJ in your profile. A XJ is a Cherokee. You may also want to fill out the below Chrysler/Jeep form and they will email you a build sheet in a couple days listing exactly what came on your ZJ from the factory. In the 1st box on the form just type, "Request for build sheet" then in the 2nd box you can request a list of any recall work which has been completed. They won't know what has not been completed unless done by the dealer or a shop which reports it.

http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U

Just ask if you have any questions and good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.