1996 Grand Cherokee dome lights intermittently flash on and off while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1996 Grand Cherokee dome lights intermittently flash on and off while driving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
cbrs85

1996 Grand Cherokee dome lights intermittently flash on and off while driving

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the dome lights intermittently flash on and off while driving. Every time the dome lights flash on and off I keep hearing a relay clicking rapidly. Also the VIC sometimes displays "Left Rear Door Ajar" when it is really closed. I am not sure if the 2 are related. It seems to get worse as the weather turns colder. I say this because it didn't happen at all during the warm summer months but as soon as it turned cold the dome lights intermittently flash on and off and I get the intermittent "Left Rear Door Ajar" message. Last night I started the Jeep in the garage and the dome lights started flashing on and off and the "Left Rear Door Ajar" message appeared. I turned the car off and let it sit for about 45 minutes. The interior dome lights would not turn off. I re-started the vehicle and turned it off. Then the dome lights automatically turned off like normal. I opened the left rear and noticed the rubber boot in the left rear door that covers the wiring harness was off. I put it back on then went out and drove the car for about 15 minutes in the cold. The "Left Rear Door Ajar" message did not appear and the dome lights only flashed on and off one time. Usually the dome lights flash on and off several times and keeps doing it. I am not convinced that putting the rubber boot back on could have resolved this issue. I have no idea where to even begin troubleshooting this problem. Anyway this has been going on for a couple of years now and it is driving me nuts. Any help would be so greatly appreciated like where that relay is I keep hearing, where the door sensors are, what and where the switches are. I am basically grabbing at straws here try to think of anything it could be.

cbrs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Your left rear door switch is bad.
It's right there in the door jamb.
8 $ part at your nearest Jeep dealer.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

that would be my vote, did you try pushing (shut) on the door while it was flashing? or opening the door and slamming it. lol does it flash when you hit bumps? all could be causes of that switch going bad. it's an easy fix.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
cbrs85

Thank you very much for the replies. I will check it out and post back to the forum with the results.
cbrs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
ksgrands
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a big wad of duct tape on my door to keep the button pushed in far enough. Been like that for 4 or 5 years, you'd think I'd finally fix it.
89 Comanche Pioneer 2wd
97 Wrangler Sport
ksgrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

ha ha.. ya. specially when the part is as much as a good role of duct tape
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.