1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #46
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbassman View Post
I have priced used brains and they are around $50, but buyer beware. Another thing i checked last night was the fuel pressure at the fuel rail when running is at 50PSI, which IF i remember right, is where it should be. I also want to check this when it stalls out again. I do recall the first time it died, the fuel flow spitting out of the rail was pretty week.
From reading other posts, it seems that eventualy the brain is replaced and problem goes away, after everything else is replaced too. I keep coming back to the fuel delivery though, when driving through town, fuel isn't demanded as much as at a constant speed, like on the interstate. But, ultimately, everything runs through the brain.
Are you still getting the 42 code that you had in your first thread?
This code is a fuel related code that would either indicate a problem with power getting to the pump via the pump relay, asd relay, or the pump itself.
Usually long cold starts can be associated with a bad regulator in the pump due to the fuel siphoning back to the tank after sitting for a period of time.
Try swapping out both of the relays one at a time in order to eliminate the possibility of one of them being bad.
Stalling at hwy speeds could indicate a clogged fuel filter and not necessarily the pump.
If your looking to blame the PCM, you might be replacing it with a bad one that could actually open up a new can of worms. Try eliminating the easy stuff first.

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #47
jjbassman
1997 ZJ 

That code was based off a bad battery connection, the lead on the positive cable broke. Replaced the cable ends and all good. The long cold start seems to have gone away with the cold weather and has gotten even better with the new coil. I noticed last night at lower speed with a load, pulling home a truck bock trailer, she did very well. Speedo is about 5 miles off due to tire upgrade so we were rolling about 55MPH with no issue. Which is another thing I noticed, it is the 60MPH and above, interstate driving and the HARD acceleration that she don't like.
jjbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #48
kekupratt
1998 ZJ 

Did you guys ever figure out the problem here?
kekupratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #49
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The JGC 93-95 is OBD1 and some of the symptoms and problems are different from the 96-98's (OBD2).
Check out this thread and if it doesn't help you out start your on thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1.../#post14045654
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.