1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #31
awhyms
1997 ZJ 

1997 Grand Cherokee Stalling Too...

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their Jeep like this:

Wife drove to AZ and Jeep wouldn't start. Took it to a mechanic who brought up a bunch of codes (catalytic converter, misfire, etc).

Changed plugs & spark plug wires and changed the catalytic converter along with fuel sensors & PCV valves when she got back to California.

Starting stalling 2 weeks later from time to time when she stopped at red lights. Check engine light comes on and codes say several misfires are occurring.

One mechanic says it may be the wire harness on top of the engine... Huh????

Now it seems to be stalling every other day...

Been spending lots on this vehicle.

Love this Jeep and could use a bit of advice to keep it from the junk pile.

Thanks!

awhyms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #32
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

i would look into the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor, coil or pickup inside dis.
sirwilliam706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #33
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

also read this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...rokee-1112078/
sirwilliam706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #34
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhyms View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their Jeep like this:

Wife drove to AZ and Jeep wouldn't start. Took it to a mechanic who brought up a bunch of codes (catalytic converter, misfire, etc).

Changed plugs & spark plug wires and changed the catalytic converter along with fuel sensors & PCV valves when she got back to California.

Starting stalling 2 weeks later from time to time when she stopped at red lights. Check engine light comes on and codes say several misfires are occurring.

One mechanic says it may be the wire harness on top of the engine... Huh????

Now it seems to be stalling every other day...

Been spending lots on this vehicle.

Love this Jeep and could use a bit of advice to keep it from the junk pile.

Thanks!
If you are getting consistent codes for misfiring cylinders you could have a fuel delivery problem. It may be that the fuel pump voltage is low or a weak charging system. Does the battery gauge drop when it idles?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #35
awhyms
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam706 View Post
i would look into the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor, coil or pickup inside dis.
The crankshaft sensor is one of a few items my mechanic is going to check on Monday....

Thanks!
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #36
awhyms
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam706 View Post
Thanks for the link... Very informative!
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #37
awhyms
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
If you are getting consistent codes for misfiring cylinders you could have a fuel delivery problem. It may be that the fuel pump voltage is low or a weak charging system. Does the battery gauge drop when it idles?
ZeeJay,

The battery doesn't drop, but we had the fuel pump changed a couple of years ago.

Now that I think about it, the same problem started a few weeks later...

How does the mechanic check the fuel pump voltage?

Last edited by awhyms; 04-02-2011 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: corrected misspellings
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #38
MegaAlan
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I fixed mine. Two days after installing new pump, started again. Dropped my tank, pulled out pump and found filter on pump clogged. Looked in tank and was like a mud pool. Cleaned tank out, filter... Problem solved... After spending $$$$ on everything else. Hope yours is this simple. I figured it out because it stalled worse when 1/4 or lower on fuel. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #39
awhyms
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaAlan View Post
I fixed mine. Two days after installing new pump, started again. Dropped my tank, pulled out pump and found filter on pump clogged. Looked in tank and was like a mud pool. Cleaned tank out, filter... Problem solved... After spending $$$$ on everything else. Hope yours is this simple. I figured it out because it stalled worse when 1/4 or lower on fuel. Hope this helps.

Thanks, MegaAlan... Just heard from my mechanic that he will have to replace
the fuel pump & do an injector test to make sure everything is working smoothly.

Hope this makes the wife happy!!!
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #40
jjbassman
1997 ZJ 

I have been having the same problem as of late. Jumped on the interstate and she died. Found a weak spark for replaced the coil. Ran GREAT! A few miles down the interstate and pealed off and she started to act up again. Let her sit for a few minutes, then ran great through town. Even this AM, it ran great on the way to work, through town. Jumped on the interstate and she acted up again. Let sit, then drove through town, again no problem. So now looking at the fuel delivery. Any recommendations? I have a strong feeling its the fuel pump. Your thoughts?
jjbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #41
MegaAlan
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbassman View Post
I have been having the same problem as of late. Jumped on the interstate and she died. Found a weak spark for replaced the coil. Ran GREAT! A few miles down the interstate and pealed off and she started to act up again. Let her sit for a few minutes, then ran great through town. Even this AM, it ran great on the way to work, through town. Jumped on the interstate and she acted up again. Let sit, then drove through town, again no problem. So now looking at the fuel delivery. Any recommendations? I have a strong feeling its the fuel pump. Your thoughts?
It's possible. Does it only do it after it reaches operating temp, though?
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #42
jjbassman
1997 ZJ 

Not necesarily operating temp. If i leave work and jump directly on the interstate I can get about 2-3 miles and it will act up. I can drive in town all day with no problem.
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #43
awhyms
1997 ZJ 

Seems To Be A "Never-Ending Story" With Jeeps...

Quote:
JJbassman,

I think it's a good idea to check the fuel delivery and electrical problems...

Days after changing the fuel pump my wife started having shut down & non-starting problems...

My mechanic found a loose connection at the brain and the computer itself is bad...

He's rechecked everything else including the coil and this is one of the last things to do...

Hopefully this does it!
Unread 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #44
MegaAlan
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not necesarily operating temp. If i leave work and jump directly on the interstate I can get about 2-3 miles and it will act up. I can drive in town all day with no problem.
If you can drive all day in town, a fuel pump is doubtful.

[QUOTE=awhyms;11353308]JJbassman,

I think it's a good idea to check the fuel delivery and electrical problems...

Days after changing the fuel pump my wife started having shut down & non-starting problems...

My mechanic found a loose connection at the brain and the computer itself is bad...

He's rechecked everything else including the coil and this is one of the last things to do...

Hopefully this does it! [/QUOTE)

I agree that it could be electrical. You should have it scanned for codes and start from there.
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #45
jjbassman
1997 ZJ 

I have priced used brains and they are around $50, but buyer beware. Another thing i checked last night was the fuel pressure at the fuel rail when running is at 50PSI, which IF i remember right, is where it should be. I also want to check this when it stalls out again. I do recall the first time it died, the fuel flow spitting out of the rail was pretty week.
From reading other posts, it seems that eventualy the brain is replaced and problem goes away, after everything else is replaced too. I keep coming back to the fuel delivery though, when driving through town, fuel isn't demanded as much as at a constant speed, like on the interstate. But, ultimately, everything runs through the brain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.