1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i6 4.0 infamous stalling problem

hey i am new to the site but really value forums like this i use one for my truck and unfortunately the problem is with my wife's jeep so you can imagine the added stress of her patience getting thin. her jeep will run great when cold and on short trips but on some of the longer trips it acts like it wants to run out of gas kinda like a missfire really dont know words to describe rpms drop no power (no matter how much gas you give it) it only does it every so often but after you let it cool of you can crank it and drive it like normal. I have read alot of the threads post by post bout there is so many things it could be i have not found any post that matches my symptoms to a tee but close my engine has never shut off even when it is acting up if i stop and let it idle its a little rough but never shuts off. I obviously did a full tune up thinking that was the problem but no avail. I am no dummy when it comes to working on cars i can handle my own just looking to bounce some ideas and see if any one else has had the same problem. Here is the stuff that i replaced:

fuel filter
plugs
wires
rotary button
distributor cap
ccv valves and hoses
air filter
trans control mod
cleaned iac and tb
front and rear main oils seals
oil pan gasket
going to clean harness to pcm with cleaner and new grease tomorrow and test pressure at fuel rail next time it acts up

Here is what i am considering:
cps-(except it never completely dies)
tps
connection to pcm or pcm itself
o2 sensor but experience either they work or they dont no really in between
coil
If you have any input or see something i missed any information would greatly appreciated

sirwilliam706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

oh and only getting error 12 which is nothing other than that no error codes
Unread 03-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

With no codes, I'd guess PCM. But I'm just guessing.
Brace yourself.
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

yeah thats what im thinking too not hard to change just a little pricey
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
mrduke
1996 ZJ 

I went through all that also. Got a new PCM for 96 ZJ on Ebay for 185.00. Been 6 weeks now and no problems.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...item56416ff79d
mrduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Heat can do weird things to failing coils.

96 is obd II and much more complicated than 95 obd I. Not all problems/solutions are the same.

Next time it's running funny unplug the tps and see what happens.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

ill try some other things before replacing pcm got some more testing to do i will do a running update
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
klockdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam706 View Post
ill try some other things before replacing pcm got some more testing to do i will do a running update
Check the plugs to the PCM. With the motor running, wiggle the plugs around and see if it affects the engines running.

I had this problem just recently and used the hose clamp method to correct.

You can check the TPS by using a volt meter and disconnecting the plug. With the key on, back probe the center wire (I used a needle) attach the + wire for the meter, attach the - to a good ground. The meter should read, .02 volts - .09 volts when closed, should go to 4.5 - 5.0 volts when open. If it passes this test, then the PS is good.
klockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
kappa080
1995 ZJ 

My Zj was doing the same thing. Replaced the fuel pump works fine now. I would check but taking it out on a longer drive put some new fuel in see if it works. I know weird but i thought my pcm or my tranny was going out when it was doing this. turned out to be something minor.
kappa080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa080 View Post
My Zj was doing the same thing. Replaced the fuel pump works fine now. I would check but taking it out on a longer drive put some new fuel in see if it works. I know weird but i thought my pcm or my tranny was going out when it was doing this. turned out to be something minor.
Fuel pump-minor? Props dude! Not difficult, but man a PITA! Guess that's my bad for having 1/4 of fuel in the tank. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Just to clarify, the 93-95 does not have a history of connector problems at the PCM. The PCM is these models have caps that dry out in the PCM and can be easily repaired if you have basic soldering skills.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Just to clarify, the 93-95 does not have a history of connector problems at the PCM. The PCM is these models have caps that dry out in the PCM and can be easily repaired if you have basic soldering skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It sound as though that when the PCM goes into closed loop, the fuel trims are not getting a good signal from one of the sensors. I would check all the related sensors (intake temp, map, O2). I'm not all that familiar with the 95 PCM but I've read enough about it to say it is a fairly dependable unit outside of the caps going bad. The caps on that PCM control the ASD relay and that's not what seems to be your problem.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Heat can do weird things to failing coils
x2

or, my first thought when you said rough running and low power was a clogged cat.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
sirwilliam706
1995 ZJ 

thanks for all the input still getting the problems im just not understanding why i am not getting any trouble codes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.