1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Stalling/Rough Idle HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Stalling/Rough Idle HELP!!!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Keith1975

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Stalling/Rough Idle HELP!!!

HELP!!! My 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 keeps stalling all the time and rough idle when started. Check Engine light comes on all the time and the alarm light comes on and blinks and exterior lights flash on and off and I have to keep the Brights on just to prevent the light from flashing!? The horn beeps anytime any of the doors are opened or closed or the door lock/unlock button is pushed.

The engine temperature guage doesn't even work now and the factory Infinity Gold CD Radio turns on display and all but no sound at all!? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to use my Jeep for quite some time now and I don't want to get financially drained!! I can't even trust it to even drive down the road a mile because it will just cut out completely!! I've had it to my original dealer where I got it from and two Authorized Jeep Dealerships and no resolution. Thank you.

Keith1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Keith1975

Has anyone else had these problems?
Unread 09-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1975
HELP!!! My 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 keeps stalling all the time and rough idle when started. Check Engine light comes on all the time and the alarm light comes on and blinks and exterior lights flash on and off and I have to keep the Brights on just to prevent the light from flashing!? The horn beeps anytime any of the doors are opened or closed or the door lock/unlock button is pushed.

The engine temperature guage doesn't even work now and the factory Infinity Gold CD Radio turns on display and all but no sound at all!? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to use my Jeep for quite some time now and I don't want to get financially drained!! I can't even trust it to even drive down the road a mile because it will just cut out completely!! I've had it to my original dealer where I got it from and two Authorized Jeep Dealerships and no resolution. Thank you.

First off, always give a thread a couple of hours. There aren't always folks on that have any thoughts to your problem, and if that's the case they won't post.

Second, check your battery connections. It sounds like your alarm is going off and needs to be deactivated. To deactivate the alarm, place your key in either front door or the hatch and turn it. The beeping should stop and the lights should no longer flash. If your battery connection is loose, it could cause the alarm to go off at any time.

Third, how old is the battery? If it's more than two years old, I'd replace it. GC's are picky about having good batteries. If they get worn and aren't putting out as much power any more, electronics start acting weird.

Engine temp won't read if the alarm is going off.

Also, Chrysler radios suck. I've put an aftermarket in all the Chryslers that both myself and my folks have had. Most didn't last four years before going out.

If it's cutting out, that's probably because of the alarm. It arms itself when you press the door lock switch with the door open and then close the door. The only way to disarm is by putting the key in the lock and unlocking it. However, many folks report that only one of the three doors work for disarming the door. In this case you want to open the driver's door panel and look for a yellow wire with a purple tracer. Ground this wire and it should disable the alarm. I have done this to mine as I have installed a remote door lock/unlock system and it triggered the alarm all the time.
Unread 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Keith1975

Hey Woody thank you for the reply. Sorry, I'm just really frustrated with my 95 Jeep GC right now!! The battery got drained sometime around Feburary of this year and the dealer where I purchased it from Recharged it and also found the engine control fuse blown and 60 amp fuse blown. Computer burnt up, replaced computer, then they said there was a short in security problem, couldn't find problem??!!

At that point, even though I have an extended warranty, I was already out $216.28! They then told me to take it to an authorized Jeep dealer so I did and they tested system and replaced multiple fuses in the fuse panel and was charged $98.02 when the parts amount was only $3.25!? Ran fine for a little while and then it started stalling again and took it back to them and got charged $48 for resetting the alarm module and was told to take it to another authorized Jeep dealer so I did and they did DRB Diagnosis tests, coolant temperature voltage to high flash program powertrain controller and transmission controller and road test and got charged again and after that the Check Engine light started coming on again and the stalling out/rough idle came back.
Unread 09-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Check for engine codes. Cycle the ignition 3 times quickly on-off-on-off-on and wait up to 30 seconds. The check engine light should flash, count the flashes and it will retrive the codes. There will be a very slight pause between numbers. Report back the codes and we'll troubleshoot from there.

I would call the place you got this from and demand they fix it correctly. You bought a warranty for a reason and they should've honored it.
Unread 09-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Keith1975

The first time me and my friend did a trouble code check about a month ago the codes: 12, 22, 11 came up
Unread 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

The codes are in the GC FAQ, just go ahead and see what it's got now.
Unread 09-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Keith1975

Well yesterday removed the entire air filter assembly pulled out the air filter and found what appeared to be engine oil in the filter and when I looked at the throttle body it was all black and brown looking so I used a little bit of what carburetor cleaner I had left and spryed it in there with the Jeep off and let it soak but the other side of the throttle body is still looking dirty, any suggestions? I still have the entire air filter assembly pulled.
Unread 09-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
95Orvis

Hey Keith,

I'm not clear on whether your Jeep is stalling or being shut down because of the alarm as previously described.

If you're seeing a lot of gunk in the throttle body, you 'may' and I stress may have a variety of things potentially causing the stalling. Here are some to test.
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
IAC - Intake Air Control Valve
EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation

All effect the proper running of the carburator. They are all DIY projects also.

Search the forum for "Stalling" and you'll find a huge amount of postings on it.

You'll see resolutions from those I listed above (simple & relatively inexpensive) to CPS - Crankshaft Postion Sensor, Camshaft Positions Sensor, PCM etc... (ALL EXPENSIVE)

Good luck and keep us informed.
Carlos
95Orvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Keith1975

OK, just finished up cleaning up the throttle body just the top inside part not beneath. Is it ok to start it up now? I reattatched the whole air filter assembly box and I bought Valvoline Max Life Transmission Stop Leak was going to add to the transmission cause it's a little bit low and I think there is a small leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Unread 09-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I would not add any additives to the tranny. If it leaks a bit then just let her leak. Also, do not worry about the oil on the air filter right now; it is from the CCV valve or line being clogged on the valve cover.

But I would check the coolant temp sensor connections at the thermostat housing; since you got a code #22. If you have an ohm meter you can also check the resistance of the temp sensor with it unplugged.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Tooms1121
2012 WK 

just a thought...if the throttle body was gunked w/ oil also clean the two sensors that are on the throttle body. the idle air control valve is on there and will not work properly if sludged with oil. the other sensor is the throttle position sensor, if your idle is jumping high and then settling low this needs to be replaced as well.

oil in the air box is most likely caused by a clogged CCV system. basically the engine can't breathe. this will also give you a rough idle. go to the dealership and buy new CCV lines and a new CCV valve. its not worth is to try and clean out the old hoses. the oil and dirt gets caked in the passages. next you'll need to remove the valve cover and clean out the baffles for the CCV system. this is where the two valves connect on top of the valve cover. these passages also get caked with dirt and oil. i don't know if this is originally your jeep or not, but if you bought it used and the previous owner was not diligent with oil changes then this will plug the system. good luck.

-RP
Tooms1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
ctb158

Ok I am new here and I am having similar problem's as Keith1975. I ahve a 95 GC orvis with 5.2. The check eng light started coming on then it started idling rough. Took it to mechanic he ran diag codes got O2 sensor bad they replaced it. Picked it up and it started all over again this time the security light came on first while driving, then the check eng light and started idleing rough again. went back to shop and ran diag again this time they replace the cam sensor in the distrib as well as the oil press switch. Ran fine for 2 days a started all over. Security light comes on first then the check engine.

I ahve replaced all of the following: Throttle pos sensor, EGR. I also cleaned the wiring from the battery to the starter to the alt and replaced the battey connetors with new ones. Battery is about 6 months old.
I bought a new PCM since one of my new codes was internal PCm failure, removed mine put in the remanufactured one GC would not start. hought it was the alarm so I grounded the purple wire with yellow tracer. Still would not start. Put old PCM back on GC started, but security light came on again. I checked my grounded wire still grounded, so I seperated the ground and left it un-hooked truck still started. I am tired and very distrought.
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!
ctb158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
G4teamG

I feel your pain, man. Mine has been doing this for the last 5 years. No one can figure it out. Got someone to check it out this upcoming weekend so hopefully, this will do it. I've thought that before. This problem seems to be common on these Jeeps. Surprised there wasn't a recall or something to address this.
G4teamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
Upside
2002 WJ 

there have been posts about problems like this related to engine control module failures. I guess the capacitors on the circuit board burn out and can be replaced.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.