1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.0 4L won't start no fuel no spark - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.0 4L won't start no fuel no spark

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Yohan1189

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.0 4L won't start no fuel no spark

Hey guys,

I'm having serious problems with my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.0 4L. It is refusing to start after I have read several forums and checked/replaced almost everything that is related to the problem.

Let's get started. The engine will crank but I get no spark or fuel pressure which all started a couple weeks back. I always had to crank for a few seconds to get her to start which I assumed was due to a faulty over pressure valve in the fuel system but I never had any problems getting it to start.

It died after I filled up the tank and drove to Atlanta where I had to get her towed 30 miles back up to my house. She sat dead in my driveway for a little over a week but I finally got the money to get some parts and the first thing I replaced was my fuel filter. That seemed to fix the problem and it started right up. After that, I drove to work the next day and everything was working fine. But when I went to leave for lunch she wouldn't start. No fuel pressure again and no spark. So I tried jumping it in the hopes that it was the battery which was old and still no spark or fuel pressure.

That night I hit the forums and checked everything I could think of. The next day I was having to jump it to get it to turn over and the battery died so that I couldn't even turn it over while jumping it. I was again getting no fuel or spark. So I got a new one because the other couldn't hold it's charge. This fixed nothing except the battery dying. Next I took my multimeter to the coil, the fuel pump power supply, the relays, and several sensors. Afterwards I discovered that the power supply to the coil was well below normal and that the crankshaft position sensor was dead. Got a new coil and crankshaft position sensor and after hell on earth replaced the sensor and plugged in the coil to check for a spark and got nothing. The voltage to the coil dropped to zero when I turned the engine over. Several forums said that the automatic shutdown relay will kill the spark and fuel if the PCM doesn't know where the crankshaft is (which is why I checked those, and others said the same for the camshaft. I checked the camshaft position sensor as well to try to remedy the spark and it was also dead! It gave a constant 5 volt signal when turning the engine and when I replaced it, the voltage began to fluctuate properly.

After all this, still no fuel pressure or spark. Another forum had a detailed guide on how to replace the capacitors from the PCM and said that this was the source of their same problems as mine. I replaced the capacitors and one definitely was dead because it literally came apart after removing it as the prongs literally fell out. I reinstalled the PCM, hooked it back up and nothing. No spark and no fuel. I'm running out of ideas and money and really need to get this fixed.

So here's a recap: No fuel, no spark but turns over. Got a new fuel filter, new battery, new crankshaft and camshaft position sensors, replaced the capacitors on the PCM and am no better off. No codes no nothing. Just no spark and no fuel. I am thinking it might also be a bad connection in the ignition switch or in the dash but I don't know if that would even be possible since the engine turns over.

Sorry for the long post but I am thorough and wanted to be clear on exactly what I've done. Any help would be awesome as I am stumped.

Yohan1189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Speedymcracer01

Ok lets start from the top you have no spark. Usually means faulty ignition system from the ignition coil to the plugs and so on. Now the pcm doesn't control the fuel pumps power it more for regulating the proper amount of fuel as needed. My jeep did something similar. No spark this was from a blown pcm fuse in the pdc under the hood. The fuse was a small micro fuse 15 A if I remember correctly. Nothing identified the small fuses in the pdc so I took my pdc out. Got the fuse location number off the bottom of the pdc then continued on to the wiring diagrams and tracing the wires. So with the pcm disabled the zj would crank but not run. It had no spark no cel. Didn't even have a cel when the ignition was turned over like it should have. I had no gauges. The fuel pump would come on but it would not prime and shut off it continually ran until the ignition was turned off. Since your fuel pump isn't coming on. I would try double checking your fuses and relays. I would also unhook the pdc from the positive battery wire and take it apart checking for faulty connections or loose fuse housings in the pdc. If the pdc has a faulty or bad connection then that kills the pcm and other components. Which would explain no fuel or spark with out a code
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

And you did mean a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee inline 6 4.0L correct?
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

If it's like the 97 setup, the PCM checks the signal from the crank sensor, tps, iac and (cam ) sensor....if it doesnt get what it wants, it will activate the auto shutdown relay and cut off the fuel supply as well as the spark.

If that fuse ( the 15 amp he mentioned) is blown, it certainly wont get a spark....and you need to discover the CAUSE of the blown fuse before you go any further. If you had a downstream o2 sensor at the cat, I'd suggest checking it's wiring because it's a known problem area. I just dont know if you have that o2 sensor at the cat...but maybe you do.

My second guess is that your pcm is fried.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Yohan1189

Hey guys. Thanks for the help. I have been working for the past few days and haven't had a chance to try work on it latrly. I'm going to check the fuses and the relay box for issues and see what I can find. But fusea were amongst the first things I did check. Appreciate the help and I'll keep you informed.
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Yohan1189

Yes a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee 4L inline 6.
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

does the CEL come on for 3 seconds when the switch is moved to the ON position?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

What gauges and lights come on with the ignition on, any not registering or working?

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Stalling fixed ( for me) . Try this...

try this. See link. I did it tonight along with fixing/checking all grounds, new battery post hold downs, cleaned alternator wires and the replaced the screws as indicated in the article. It's worth a try. I been working on mine for 2 weeks now trying to figure the stalling out and between all the things I did it worked. I also followed some of ZEEJAYS suggestions in his great write up he did.

Hope this works for you.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7811_102...talling-fixed/
roadcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcruzer View Post
try this. See link. I did it tonight along with fixing/checking all grounds, new battery post hold downs, cleaned alternator wires and the replaced the screws as indicated in the article. It's worth a try. I been working on mine for 2 weeks now trying to figure the stalling out and between all the things I did it worked. I also followed some of ZEEJAYS suggestions in his great write up he did.

Hope this works for you.

you most likely have a bad pcm

OP needs to check for the CEL.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
igids1
1997 ZJ 

What you are describing is almost certainly the ignition module. I am fairly new to working on the jeeps, but no fuel/no spark in other vehicles points to the ignition module. It should be sitting under your distributor cap. They can be pricey when new. I would suggest going to a junkyard to get one, or just buying one.

Remove your distributor cap, and take a picture if you do not feel confident, and I can tell you if the module is under there.

I would not replace a single thing until you replace that.
igids1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
igids1
1997 ZJ 

Just as an aside, you ARE getting a check engine light when you turn the key forward, not to start, but just forward, like to listen to the radio right?

If you are NOT getting the check engine, disregard my previous message.
igids1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcruzer View Post

Hope this works for you.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7811_102...talling-fixed/
Pretty much a hoax. Liek Zeejay said, you have a bad PCM most likely. It's very common.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.