1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 4.0L 42re transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 4.0L 42re transmission

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Dirty Ern
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 4.0L 42re transmission

In order to get the tranny to work right I have to turn the key on five to ten minutes before I plan on driving. If I don't, then the tranny starts in 4th gear. I can pull it into 2nd or 1st position and it will be in 2nd until the revs get up then I can go to 4th. There is no overdrive when this happens. There is no doubt about what gears it's in when this happens, I've confirmed it by checking tach speed vs. speedo when things are running right.

If I do the delay start thing and it is working right, usually when I turn it off for short stops into the Post Office or the hardware store, it will work right without having to go through the delay procedure. But if is does go into the 4th gear mode, I can usually pull it out quickly be cycling the key four times - letting the code flash 55 and then it's back to normal. If not, then turn the key on for al least two to three minutes, and then itís OK.

I've been to two Jeep dealers, one independent shop and one transmission shop and being it hasn't thrown a code, the only thing they all came up with was the governor solenoid and the transducer are a real problem with this transmission. I replaced both of them and it's not changed anything.

Iíve heard that there was one series of transmissions that had a problem with the ground connections with the solenoid and the transducer. And the next series had an upgrade to fix that. But WHERE could that be? In the tranny, at some connector or where?

Now Iím convinced that there is no problem with the transmission, itís only doing what itís told to do.

What do you think? Or better yet does any one know what is wrong?

Dirty Ern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
CrazyDrivinJoe
1994 ZJ 

I want to say its a speed sensore but I really dont know
CrazyDrivinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Dirty Ern
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So what's your reasoning? That the speed densor is telling the ecm or tcm that it is up to speed and should be in 4th gear? But if that was the case then why would it not be able to go into overdrive when the time was right?
Thanks CDJ
Unread 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Dirty Ern
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Some one please help!!!
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had a problem with my 94 ZJ, same 42RE. I ended up finding out that it was the transmission computer. $50 from junk yard 3 years ago still no problem. If the electrical goes on the trans computer, you only have 2 & 3 gears. It sounds like it might be the sensor telling the TCM or the TCM. Good luck.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Dirty Ern
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Where is the transmission computer located?
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Inside of the vehicle adjacent to the steering column. The mounting hardware for it is in the engine compartment for it. Remembering about it: I had a couple of troubles with it changing gears for me, lasted months couple of months before it went. Some acted like I had bad gas when I drive down the highway. I also checked for codes after mine went and it did not give any. One last thing: when you check the codes for the tranny, are you getting them from the engine light or the tranny OD light? The tranny diagonstics flash on the OD light.
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Dirty Ern
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jab, never got a code either place, the check engine always flashes 5/5. The OD lighr never has flashed.

Any body know a good tranny shop in California's Central Valley? (you know, real mechanics, not parts changers)
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Try the procedure for the tranny codes: turn key on and off 3 times and leave OD switch in normal on position. Then count codes. 55 is end code transmission. I have the shop manual if any other numbers come up for ya. When I changed mine, all I got was 55, but it still didn't work. Good luck.
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I tried to get my TCM to store a code but it did not. Even though the FSM states that it does, I still have only heard one person retrieving them. I yanked CTS plug and drove around the block a few times. The PCM got the code but not the TCM?

The TCM, transmission control module, will throw codes just like the Power Control Module will. I believe there are only separate TCMs on the years 1993 to 1995. To read the codes you count the number of times the Over Drive lamp lights. The Over Drive lamp is located on the over drive switch.

Extracting Fault Codes:
Without ever starting the engine Turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON and observe the Over Drive lamp. The Over Drive lamp should begin to flash a series of codes. The flashes will be separated by short and long pauses. The long pauses separate the "ones" and "tens" positions, and each code from the next. A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

Tranny codes for 1994 OD button LED

11 Engine RPM input
12 Output shaft sensor input
13 Vehicle speed input
14 Governor pressure sensor input
15 Throttle position sensor input
16 Transmission fluid temperature input
17 Overdrive override (control) switch input
18 System voltage
19 Internal fault in module
21 Governor pressure solenoid output
22 Overdrive solenoid output
23 Converter clutch solenoid output
24 Overdrive override (control switch) lamp output
25 Internal fault in module
26 Governor pressure sensor offset drift
55 End of code transmission

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.