1995 Grand Cherokee wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Grand Cherokee wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
JeepOwner21

1995 Grand Cherokee wont start

Ok. I just picked up a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo with an inline 6. It drove fine getting it home and the little bit I drove it the next day. The following day, It drove fine getting to work but engine light came on, then on my way home from lunch died at a red light. I had to have it towed. Later that afternoon, it fired right up no engine light. I had it running fine. I shut it off and tried to restart right away, and nothing. No trouble lights on, and the starter sounds strong. It turns over and over and over, but will never start.

Obviously I'm more than frustrated- I've had this for less than 48 hours and it won't run!!!

What can I do? What can I try? I don't have the money to stick into it after just stretching my funds to buy it. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. I need this running asap as it's my only way to get around! HELP!!!!!!!!!

JeepOwner21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

get the codes. turn key to on w/o starting then back one click and back to on threes times then to on the check engine light will blink you will count the blinks stopping inbetween pauses for digits 12 33 55 etc. 55 is end. but I believe this sounds like a crank sensor. let us know the codes. there a youtube vid on the how to.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
JeepOwner21

ok I did this and I have no clue how to read this, but here's what I got. Remind you that now there is NO engine light on. Ironically it fired right up and everytime I shut it off, it started right back up! I'm so confused...

here's the flash/pauses:

one flash
(pause)
two flashes
(pause)
two flashes
(pause)
two flashes
(pause)
one flash
(pause)
seven flashes
(pause)
five flashes
(pause)
five flashes
(pause)

what does this mean? I'm scared to drive it at all assuming it's going to die on me!!!!!
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

12 22 17 55 . 55 is end. 12 is recent battery dissconect. 22 and 17 ill have to look up.
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

ok 17 is that your engine is too cold too long at start up(most likely thermistat). 22 is your ect sensor. engine coolant tempature sensor. I would start with the etc sensor. It sounds like you have a bad crankshaft position sensor why your stalling and not starting. but these pcms have been known to be a pita. next time shake the connector into the pcm and see if it starts. pcm=computer black brick with vents behind the coolant overflow tank.
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
JeepOwner21

ok. I'm following on some of that stuff, but the language is foreign! Maybe you won't know this, but will this run and drive without stalling being that the engine light is off or not necessarily? Also, what is "pita"? My biggest question is what do you think I should do from here to create a "reliable" vehicle out of this!?!? thx!
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

pita Pain In The A**. I would dissconnect the battery take the pcm pin connector harness unplug it clean it add dielectric grease. Then I would replace the coolant sensors theres two. there both easy and 10$ each. then I would replace the crank position sensor cant hurt and its a common problem. other than I would clean the grounds with a wire brush. The engine light only comes on when a problem arises then it gets stored in the pcm. Theres plenty of write ups and how tos on the forum there also alot of youtube videos if you cant figure out where somthing goes or how to replace somthing.
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

reset the codes when your done with the work and check them in awhile to see if any come back 17 may. If it does you need a thermistat. could be bad or you may not have one or it could be the wrong temp. you want 195d. but since your throwing 22 aswell it could just be the bad sensor.
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
JeepOwner21

thanks for all the advice and direction! i greatly appreciate it!
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

no problem glad i could help.
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
JeepOwner21

Ok, what now?

Ok. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. OI don't see a lot of change in the running. I did notice while I was under it that the exhaust was clean cut virtually all the way through right up by the header. Currently, the engine light is on, and it will idel, but as soon as I get on the gas, it chokes, shakes and wants to die.

Could this cracked header be the reason for the engine light being on and the engine wanting to die, or should I be looking for something else? thanks
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #12
DiVito1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOwner21 View Post
Ok. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. OI don't see a lot of change in the running. I did notice while I was under it that the exhaust was clean cut virtually all the way through right up by the header. Currently, the engine light is on, and it will idel, but as soon as I get on the gas, it chokes, shakes and wants to die.

Could this cracked header be the reason for the engine light being on and the engine wanting to die, or should I be looking for something else? thanks
Yes, that is possible since the oxygen sensor could be reading bad air flow after the header
DiVito1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.