1995 Grand Cherokee V8 Project - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Grand Cherokee V8 Project

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #31
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
not as evil as mine were, i had this to contend with
broke off all the threads at the #4 cylinder
Holy crap! I'm sure as hell happy I didn't do that! How'd you get the threads out??

a20ftsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a20ftsloth View Post
Holy crap! I'm sure as hell happy I didn't do that! How'd you get the threads out??
i used a #5 screw extractor, which is junk now because i cant get the piece of spark plug off it!

im fairly certain they were the original plugs, like factory original. it still had the chrysler plug wires date coded 6/1995. after that one broke, i sprayed PB blaster on the rest of them and let it set overnight. had i not done that, i think more wouldve broken, because they were still all very hard to break loose. i put anti seize on the new plugs so i shouldnt have this problem again.
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #33
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Man, that old eh? How were they even working? That's gotta be a pretty big gap to jump haha
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #34
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

On the other hand, looks like she's running near stoich.
Quote:
Today was kind of an adventure... Put some new iridium spark plugs in. Gapped them at .38 each. The old spark plugs were VERY old... The porcelain exploded and I had to use tweezers to pull parts of glass out of the engine haha my knuckles are all cut up. I also got some SUPERSWEET windshield washers and I cleaned the fuel injectors with sea foam. And I also flushed the tranny and put some new ATF-4 fluid in it. And on top of all that I took off the doors and replaced the hinge pins with some new steel pins so the door doesn't clunk as bad or sag at all. All in all today was pretty damn productive!

Those spark plugs were evil...
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
On the other hand, looks like she's running near stoich.
Oh definitely, everything done so far made a load of difference in performance.
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Man, that old eh? How were they even working? That's gotta be a pretty big gap to jump haha
that gaps weren't too bad surprisingly. The blow by between the porecelin and the metal was really bad though
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
LouC
2007 WK 

Nice work, fun messing with an old ZJ isn't it? How is the VC working out, like others said, the 1st gen ZJs had a 50/50 split in the transfer case and did not lock in low. The 2nd gen which is what you put in there had a 20/80 split until you got slippage in the rear. Those cases did lock in low. Actually I recall reading that the 1st gen ones were better in snow because you were starting out with a more even power distribution front and rear. And, there are situations were a non locking low would be nice, like pulling a real heavy boat up a ramp and being able to drive up steep hills without binding up the drive train.

After owning a WK for 3 years and looking at how much modern Jeeps have changed and how much more complex they are vs the ZJ, I think it is one of the last really good jeeps that is easy enough for a hobbist mechanic to work on and modify at home. I can't see doing stuff like that to the WKIIs and whatever they come out with next, it's going to be too complex. So keep the old ZJs rolling guys, because there are no more new ones like them, except for similar year XJs and TJs....
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #38
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Nice work, fun messing with an old ZJ isn't it? How is the VC working out, like others said, the 1st gen ZJs had a 50/50 split in the transfer case and did not lock in low. The 2nd gen which is what you put in there had a 20/80 split until you got slippage in the rear. Those cases did lock in low. Actually I recall reading that the 1st gen ones were better in snow because you were starting out with a more even power distribution front and rear. And, there are situations were a non locking low would be nice, like pulling a real heavy boat up a ramp and being able to drive up steep hills without binding up the drive train.

After owning a WK for 3 years and looking at how much modern Jeeps have changed and how much more complex they are vs the ZJ, I think it is one of the last really good jeeps that is easy enough for a hobbist mechanic to work on and modify at home. I can't see doing stuff like that to the WKIIs and whatever they come out with next, it's going to be too complex. So keep the old ZJs rolling guys, because there are no more new ones like them, except for similar year XJs and TJs....
Honestly I really love the ZJ. When I actually put the time into writing down and planning out what I want to do to it, I really get a long list. But you're right, it's a fun little toy. The families trying to tell me to just get a new Jeep but I'm really wanting to build this up.
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #39
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, so I was looking around and I'm really thinking that I'm going to want to try and do a bedliner paint job. I went ahead and drew up the plans. In a couple weeks when I get some cash I'll be able to start it up but it shouldn't take longer than a day. I'm thinking Herculiner.

Honestly I think it'll look pretty cool, and if the paint starts to fade then I'll just use the spray on Rustoleum bedliner to finish the rest. I'd like to personally thank CJNinja for the inspiration. He has an absolutely spectacular build on his ZJ. His build can be found here.
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #40
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

thats some good drawing there!
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #41
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
thats some good drawing there!
haha thanks man
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #42
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So this weekend I finally finished the Herculiner pain job, although I still have to do the roof. Honestly I'm in love with it, and I think it really separates my zj from the others in town.
Here's what I started with:

I had just washed and waxed it and it really hurt me inside to sand it :'( I was honestly afraid it would look like crap!

Here she is all taped up!

And finally the finished product!
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #43
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Well I just got the roof herculined an the rear vents and lift gate as well! I also got a really good shine on the paint too! I'm really digging the contrast between bedliner and paint.

Look at that shine!

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #44
mudder53
1998 ZJ 

Wow that looks great! Can we see some more pics? I might have to steal your idea :P I did plan on doing my bumpers grill and rockers but this looks sweet! It'd cover up all my scratches on the paint :P
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #45
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just wanted to show every body how she was doing. We went wheeling into national forest and it served as an excellent camping companion! The part of the door that the actuator attaches to had shattered two months ago so I needed to replace the door. I still need to bedline it haha but here it is currently.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.