1995 Grand Cherokee V8 Project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Grand Cherokee V8 Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, you should have taken you time and used the entire transfer case, as per 95 np249 were kinda blah and 1996+ had been tweaked a bit with one big bonus.... Low lock...

Jeep318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #17
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep318 View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, you should have taken you time and used the entire transfer case, as per 95 np249 were kinda blah and 1996+ had been tweaked a bit with one big bonus.... Low lock...
Gear cut changes mean you can't swap the input shaft out of a 95 V8 case into a 96, which is required to fit a 95 V8 trans. There's driveshaft changes too.

I'm not even sure you could swap the inputs if the gear angles were the same, as the 96 case has a bunch of revision. They might be too different

The coupler differences and the fact the OP hasn't run into issues.......now that's interesting.......the early case is 50/50 power split whereas the later case is closer to 80/20. What I'm curious about is if the early case with a late coupler will ever send more than 20% to the front wheels without the lock feature.

I think Crown only sells one part number of replacement coupler (now) but it's different fluid than the originals.

good luck to the OP!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I figured that while I was waiting around today I'd attempt to clean off the engine. I think I did decent... Still needs some work tho

I think I'm going to look into replacing my catalytic converter...
a20ftsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Alright I just couldn't contain myself, I needed to do something!! I've been having this issue where the VIC was displaying the message "Service 4WD Drive". According to some searches I've done, I found that nothing is actually wrong with it and probably needs to be cleaned or replaced... so in the mean time I opened up the dashboard and disconnected the wire till I have some cash to go get the bugger after I get my new Viscous Coupler!

And don't worry, the black stuff on the male connector isn't any form of corrosion, it's the residue from the tape holding all of the wires together (Thank God)
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

Engine bay looks good, what did you spray it down with?
Jeep318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep318 View Post
Engine bay looks good, what did you spray it down with?
I used the engine cleaner and the high powered sprayer at the car wash. It's some fruity smelling green goo that foams up haha
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So yesterday I went back down to Brush Hollow Reservoir and this time I got some pictures. Tell me when you think.

Unread 11-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the gasket on the transfercase installed and I am no longer leaking fluid! And It's okay, I may have run dry but I didn't kill it haha and I also got my front CV joints replaced. That fixed the super annoying popping noise so now everything is okay and I'm happy!
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #24
jeepie1990

I'm taking a shot in the dark. I have a 1996 grand Cherokee recently just got it back from and ex who says the tranny went out .... so there are so many people on here that now what there taking about and I clearly have no idea what's wrong with it. So when he parked it hr saId it wouldn't move that was about three days ago and I just picked it up tonight drove it about a half mile and it stalled again wouldn't move. theres fluid in the tranny but It smells burnt does this mean I need a new tranny or is it just a small fix? help me ??
jeepie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepie1990 View Post
I'm taking a shot in the dark. I have a 1996 grand Cherokee recently just got it back from and ex who says the tranny went out .... so there are so many people on here that now what there taking about and I clearly have no idea what's wrong with it. So when he parked it hr saId it wouldn't move that was about three days ago and I just picked it up tonight drove it about a half mile and it stalled again wouldn't move. theres fluid in the tranny but It smells burnt does this mean I need a new tranny or is it just a small fix? help me ??
Oh man... My guess is the transmission fluid level. Go ahead and start up the car, pop up the hood, and see what the transmission fluid level is at. Also, I do believe that if fluids have been mixed then it won't work right. Some fluids actually may burn, like gear lubricant mixed with transmission fluid. Go ahead and try that.
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't given up on this project. I've been spending a very good long time researching what I want to do to this jeep and I have a VERY long list, and on top of all of that I am currently in Lineman School. But I did want to let everyone know that it's alive and maintained and I'm planning on getting to work as soon as I get some free time

I went ahead and took off the side cladding and soon I'm going to attempt a Herculiner paint job.
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
ELMCZJ95

Im at the Academy, let me know if you want to go wheeling.
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMCZJ95 View Post
Im at the Academy, let me know if you want to go wheeling.
Yeah sure man. I'm not entirely sure how well I'll do with full stock but maybe you can teach me something about wheeling!
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Today was kind of an adventure... Put some new iridium spark plugs in. Gapped them at .38 each. The old spark plugs were VERY old... The porcelain exploded and I had to use tweezers to pull parts of glass out of the engine haha my knuckles are all cut up. I also got some SUPERSWEET windshield washers and I cleaned the fuel injectors with sea foam. And I also flushed the tranny and put some new ATF-4 fluid in it. And on top of all that I took off the doors and replaced the hinge pins with some new steel pins so the door doesn't clunk as bad or sag at all. All in all today was pretty damn productive!

Those spark plugs were evil...
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a20ftsloth View Post
Those spark plugs were evil...
not as evil as mine were, i had this to contend with:

broke off all the threads at the #4 cylinder

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.