1995 grand cherokee electrical problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 grand cherokee electrical problems

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
mvharb
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

1995 grand cherokee electrical problems

Im having all sorts of electrical problems that all seem to be related. There is a relay that constantly clicks when the ign. is turned off. It is the relay that controls radio memory, power locks, interior lights and several other things that require power after the ign. is off. Also the radio, which by the way will play only on AM, goes off when either front door is opened. I have replaced the relay (the new one clicks too). I disconnected the wiring to overhead console and the clicking stops. Also the chime module doesn't work. Someone told me that the door wiring harnesses need to be replaced. If so, how do I do that. Whew what a mess!!!! Somebody please help me

Mike

mvharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Clean the battery terminals really good & check the ground wire. Make sure the battery is up to par.

Last edited by Virmagicus; 06-23-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
jwarfield
1995 ZJ 

Mine did the exact same thing. Check the condition of ALL of the fuses on the passenger side fuse panel. I cant remember which one it was but I bet you'll find that one is blown.

92 XJ-Toy
95 ZJ-Daily Driver (bad on gas)
09 Genuine Roughhouse 50 scooter-Daily Driver (good on gas)
jwarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

It may simply be the chime module has gone bad, but check fuses 8 and 9....

That thing does more than just remind you the key is in the ignition.

The first step in trouble shooting the chime module it is to replace it. If it solves all the problems, great. If it doesn't, then let us know. There is a sequence to trouble shooting the problem.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
95ZJL
1995 ZJ 

hey all same exact problems for me here, i replaced the fuse already and everything worked great for like 2 days and the problem came back again no chime no nothing, but all the fuses are intact and none of them blew
2" Doestch 3000 Shocks
31x10.5 BFG All-Terrain's
KOR Radiator Support
95ZJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
sjhill81
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvharb View Post
Also the radio, which by the way will play only on AM, goes off when either front door is opened.
perhaps unrelated problems? only playing AM sounds like your antena is either unplugged or your deck is shot. as far as it turning off... i had a short in one of my speaker wires that ran into my pasenger side front door. opening or closing the door, sometimes even rolling the window down would shut off my whole stereo. i had to remove the door panel and run a new wire, problem solved.
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
mark512

As others have said, check your fuses! #8 (15amp) was the one that fixed it for me! I had trouble believing that a blown fuse would cause such varied problems, but replacing the fuse worked.

I have a 95 Grand Cherokee. The trouble all started at once after turning off one of the overhead lights. The Jeep still started, ran and drove fine. The problems were all related to peripheral electrical stuff. The door chime stopped working, a relay near the passenger's feet clicked rapidly when a door was open, the display in front of the gearshift stopped working, the stereo was a bit erratic, interior lights went crazy, etc.

Good luck!
mark512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
mattcampbell12

Confussed

I have the same issue, but replacing the fuse didn't work. It just keeps popping. Anyone know why?
mattcampbell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
spydirman70

my 95 jeep does the same. Door opens radio goes off, relay clicking, overhead lights don't work correctly. all fuses are good, strange stuff , any help?
By the way everything worked fine except the door locks until a friend played with the fuses to get them to work now the locks work but not correctly and the other problems started.

Last edited by spydirman70; 11-27-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: info
spydirman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
merlot2twisty
1997 ZJ 

Have you been messing with any electrical components? Is the radio stock or aftermarket?
sounds like a shorft circuit that is allowing electrical backflow.

I once had a car that had a blown main fuse, but because of a crappy stereo install, there was a backflow of power that allowed the car to run, but all the gauges were screwy, etc. Once I fixed the wiring and replaced the main fuse, car was great.

So, if anything electrical is non-stock, or has been modified, start looking there.
merlot2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
SMGORDON1259
1995 ZJ 

Ok last night my daughter pressed the overhead light in the rear of the console , after this happened a constant clicking of What I assume is the s.a.m. (system alarm module) relay. the radio does not work the interior lights flash the System information does not work.

I get up this morning to tackle the problem I started first with the Overhead console and removed it. The Light Assembly's were loose because a couple mountings were broken ( fixed with super glue and a small piece of jb weld, yep Jb weld works on plastic great), The backs of the light housing has wires on it that are exposed at the connectors and when the light was pressed it shorted out on the roof metal ( Used CardBoard and tape to cover the connections before replacing).

I found that the #8 fuse was blown (15A mini blade fuse) Replaced it with another 15a and the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps everyone who has this problem
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Firefighter29
1995 ZJ 

I have a 95 ZJ 5.2L and I'm having different problems, first it started with my dash lights going out, But would come back on whenever and go back out, I bought a new dimmer switch and just as I was going to replace it the problem stopped. A few days later the vehicle info center above the shifter would reset the clock on it, so I would set the clock, 5 hours later it reset, I got tired of fighting it so I just held the "set" button so I wouldn't blink at me but it never reset that. So I set the correct time and it was fine, next was the horn, it sounds like Homer Simpson strangling Bart. Still works but not loud and just sounds like its dying. Next was the door chime. Instead of not working it did the exact opposite, it would ding like normal until the final ding and then it was a constant one tone ding that wouldn't stop until I shut off the ignition. I solved it by removing the chime module. Next I had a fm radio transmitter that you plug your phone/mp3 player to, I've had it for about a year and it's never been taken out of the power point until Friday when it decided to smoke and I pulled it out and it was melted, I had to throw it out the window cause it was so hot. I have not put anything in there since. Now the info center is back to resetting itself. Every time I go to trouble shoot one problem, it stops. I really need help this is a little outta my league and I do not want to spend $150 just so the the dealer can tell me what's wrong.
Firefighter29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Firefighter29
1995 ZJ 

Oh and the alarm would go off randomly whenever I activated it, so I just would never lock the doors with the switch and locked them by hand. Now the lock switch doesn't work but unlock does.
Firefighter29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.