1995 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 Grand Cherokee

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
95PAGCLO

1995 Grand Cherokee

I just purchased a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo that is full time 4wd. It will not stay in 4hi when I can get it in 4hi. 4lo works ok, but it just won't shift at to 4hi. Can some please help...Thanks in advanced.

95PAGCLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
lesgeaux

I am new to a Jeep GC also, just got a 96. I found that I have to have the transmission in nuetral to get the lever to shift to Hi or Lo.
lesgeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
95PAGCLO

Tried that...

I have tried that with no luck. No matter if you do in neutral or not it doesn't help it stay in 4hi, when it goes in 4hi.
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
lesgeaux

There was a safety recall about the shifter (hi/lo) indent. I am not really sure what it means tho, but I checked and mine was done. Has your recall been done on that item?
lesgeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PAGCLO
I just purchased a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo that is full time 4wd. It will not stay in 4hi when I can get it in 4hi. 4lo works ok, but it just won't shift at to 4hi. Can some please help...Thanks in advanced.
What options do you have on your shift selector?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
95PAGCLO

4hi and 4lo. Only two options? Do you nknow which system(tranfer case) I have?
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
95PAGCLO

Is there any kind of vaccuum line that go to the transfer case that may assist with 4wheel drive selection?
Unread 06-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you have the 249 transfer case.

You sure its in 4wd low? mabye the linkage is off.

242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Unread 06-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
UFO

A little confusion about your selector, you stated you only have 4HI and 4LO, but I believe you're confusing fulltime (aka FT) with 4HI, they are not the same thing. You have the NP249 (sometimes called NV, same thing.) Take a look at the Grand Cherokee FAQ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150055) for more information.

You say you are stuck in 4lo, know that driving on a paved road in 4lo is not good for the transfer case.

You said it won't stay in 4hi, are you shifting from 4lo to neutral to 4hi, or do you quickly shift with one motion? Some jeeps like it one way, some like it another, play with it. Are you at a complete stand still or rolling slowly when you transfer? I learned that slow rollin around 1mph is perfect for mine, if I'm at a stand still when I try to slip into 4lo it likes to not connect and slip back into neutral.

Hope that helps!
[SIZE="1"][B]Rig: [/B] 1995 JGC 5.2L V8 Limited 129K [B]Installed: [/B] 4.25" (Rusty's 3" coils and 1.75" spacers, removed stock spacer) with 32x11.5R15 Pirelli "Scorpion A/T's" on Cragar "Soft 8's" || Rusty's Adj. Front UCAs and LCAs, Adj. Front Trackbar, Shocks and Steering Stab. || Kevin's Adj. Rear Trackbar || R.E.'s Extended Swaybar Links w/ conversion kit[/SIZE]
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
95PAGCLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joe-
Sounds like you have the 249 transfer case.

You sure its in 4wd low? mabye the linkage is off.
I am pretty sure its in 4wd lo , Trans is in 3rd go and engine is at about 5,000 rpm go in 25mph. I tried to adjust the linkage both way but I it didn't help.
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
95PAGCLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO
A little confusion about your selector, you stated you only have 4HI and 4LO, but I believe you're confusing fulltime (aka FT) with 4HI, they are not the same thing. You have the NP249 (sometimes called NV, same thing.) Take a look at the Grand Cherokee FAQ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150055) for more information.

You say you are stuck in 4lo, know that driving on a paved road in 4lo is not good for the transfer case.

You said it won't stay in 4hi, are you shifting from 4lo to neutral to 4hi, or do you quickly shift with one motion? Some jeeps like it one way, some like it another, play with it. Are you at a complete stand still or rolling slowly when you transfer? I learned that slow rollin around 1mph is perfect for mine, if I'm at a stand still when I try to slip into 4lo it likes to not connect and slip back into neutral.

Hope that helps!
I know that driving the truck on paved roads in 4lo is not good, that why I am not driving it and trying to get help on the forum. When it does engage in 4wd hi as soon as drive it to the end of my block, the tranfer case goes back into neutral.
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Have you checked/changed the fluid in it?

Unread 06-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
draxxuspainter8

im jsut gona throw this out there, but u should be moving about 5mph when u shift into 4hi, and make sure ur shifter is in N, and then go to 4lo to hi in one motion. Give it a good push.
sony xplods
sony headunit
draxxuspainter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
95PAGCLO

Do the Transmission and Transfer case use the same fluid? Dexton III?
Unread 06-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
jeepdude06

with my 95 GC laredo, i have to throw it into either neutral or park to shift from all time to lo. i usually use park, and ive had good luck gettin outta some deep **** with lo
jeepdude06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.