1995 GC... will I burn her up towing?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 GC... will I burn her up towing??

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-23-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
bulletbob

1995 GC... will I burn her up towing??

Looking for a little help... I bought a VERY nice GC Limited w 4.0/Selectrac and Chrysler OD trans... I have towed my boat[ [about 2600 lbs] with it a few times,and a 2000 lb utility trailer... This thing HATES to tow!!! it feels flimsy and strains to get up hills etc... A friend has a 1990 Cherokee w/4.0 and Asian Warner trans and it tows perfectly!!! ... lots of power,no straining... I have 90k miles his has 200k!!!... I am real disappointed ... this no frame business has me wondering if I made a mistake.... It is rated to tow up to 5 k and I would like to tow a 21-22 ft travel trailer[maybe3700 lbs]... I dunno ,,should I buy a Ford and ditch the GC.... It just feels weak to me[I've towed trailers, boats etc all my life with MANY different vehicles] Will this trans hold up???/ I know the engine will,... It pings when towing uphill but I think I can help by using higher octane when towing. The hitch is 3500 but I will upgrade to a 5K ... Anyone here use a GC with Chrysler OD trans to tow regularly?? ... any help would be appreciated.. by the way I am a professional auto/truck tech so I know when a tow rig feels "right".... I dunno, maybe I'm just worried about the trans as I've heard from a few trans techs they were a bit weak.....what do you folks think about towing with this otherwise Very nice 95 GC 4.0?????? .... bob

bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2002, 04:34 AM   #2
Slightly_Off

I think if you are worryed, just get a nice big tranny cooler and fan.

1993 ZJ 4.0L
Slightly_Off is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2002, 10:49 PM   #3
MJR

Does it have the factory tow prep package ?. This is usually 3.73 gears, heavier duty cooling etc... In the owners manual it should say what is different if you have it. The ZJ's are heavier than the XJ's also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.