1995 5.2 orvis on an island...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 5.2 orvis on an island......

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
skogs
1995 ZJ 

1995 5.2 orvis on an island......

So I bought this zj for $700 when I moved to the virgin islands. Had it for 3 weeks, and it's a pita. Especially since I'm a career mechanic by trade, but couldn't bring certain tools here and I don't have a shop I can use yet. This is my fourth Jeep(tj 4.0, zj 4.0, tj 2.5), but never had a 5.2.

Anyway, when it gets hot it is dying, bogging, seems like it's a common issue. Got codes 13, 14, 24. So map sensor, and tps. Map sensor voltages read correctly from info I googled with vacuum applied. Tps didn't seem to have dead spots, but I have no scope to check the wave form. Quick resistance check in wires show they are ok, but island cars tend to have wiring issues. Also have coolant gauge inop, but there are two sensors so I'm guessing one is gauge and one is ecm(?). Idle air control cleaned, but does not move hardly at all. Has shifting problems which I'm sure(hope) is related to these sensor issues.

So with 223k miles, I feel like I should do all these sensors/valve. Shouldn't the idle valve be able to move full stroke by hand? Map sensors are common for sure, as well as tps. Read about intake manifold issues? But I've seen ecm problems too. Also read about grounds, but they were not where they said, by the oil filter right?

Input would be appreciated since being on an island parts being had is not the easiest.

I don't mind putting a few bucks in "the beast" since I got it so cheap, but before I try to get things here I figured I'd ask you guys. Wish I knew my old profile password too, but don't have the email address anymore. Any ideas on that would be great too lol.

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Your IAC is trash now. You can't twist it or push it in and out by hand.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
dougmorgan99
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Your IAC is trash now. You can't twist it or push it in and out by hand.
If you twisted it hard trying to move it versus just ever so lightly and stopped because you found out it didnt move, then replace it...

Make sure you use all Mopar sensors in your replacements, you can sub NTK/NGK for the O2 but don't ever use Bosch or anything else. Contact Kolak for the sensors... he usually does a great deal on them and I am sure he can ship them to the islands for you. Good luck.
dougmorgan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
skogs
1995 ZJ 

I didn't, just cleaned it. I was planning on doing that no matter what after looking at it though. I wasn't going to go any further than cleaning it until I knew what you're it was
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
skogs
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmorgan99 View Post

If you twisted it hard trying to move it versus just ever so lightly and stopped because you found out it didnt move, then replace it...

Make sure you use all Mopar sensors in your replacements, you can sub NTK/NGK for the O2 but don't ever use Bosch or anything else. Contact Kolak for the sensors... he usually does a great deal on them and I am sure he can ship them to the islands for you. Good luck.
Ok I've seen that name. I was wondering about parts suppliers, I've had issues with the Chrysler minivans and o2 sensors not working because they weren't factory. Thanks
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Since you're a mechanic you probably know all this stuff, but click the green link below for a list of things to check/do for stalls.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
skogs
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Since you're a mechanic you probably know all this stuff, but click the green link below for a list of things to check/do for stalls.
On my phone, can't see link. But if it's a thread on this forum I think I've looked at it. I'm fairly confident in what the problems are, I really just was asking about it in case there is some well known problem that I can't test like the ecm. If you could post the link in a comment I'll take a look thanks
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
skogsm
1995 ZJ 

Hey thanks for helping this "noob" out. I found my old password for this account, so that noob was me.

Ended up replacing the maf(for a 4.0 after the one I got was bad out the box), tps, iac valve, and both temp sensors. Runs great now, too bad the trans took a dump..... About done with that rebuild though :-)
skogsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.