1995 42RE code help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1995 42RE code help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
kc76

1995 42RE code help!

I've got a '95 Limited with the I6 and 42RE tranny. A couple months ago, I received a code 21 on the OD light. I replaced the governor pressure solenoid, but not the sensor.

Last night, I get codes again, this time with code 21, 22, AND 23:

Code 22: Overdrive solenoid output
Code 23: Convertor clutch solenoid output

I did some of the tests in the transmission diagonostic book, and assuming my voltmeter was right and i was probing the right locations, everything points to a bad TCM. Is it possible that the solenoid assembly has gone bad as well? I have troulbe believing ALL 3 sensors are bad, especially with the new governor solenoid. How much is a TCM and the solenoid assembly?

The diagnostic book indicated that if codes 22 AND 23 are present, that it's wiring somewhere. Nothing has been done to disturb the wiring that i know of, but who knows with these things!

Any help or ideas is appreciated!!

kc76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The best thing would be to back-probe the TCM, but this is very difficult to do as it is in a bad location. You would also need an electrical schematic for the pin-out.

Tranny codes for 1994 OD button LED

11 Engine RPM input
12 Output shaft sensor input
13 Vehicle speed input
14 Governor pressure sensor input
15 Throttle position sensor input
16 Transmission fluid temperature input
17 Overdrive override (control) switch input
18 System voltage
19 Internal fault in module
21 Governor pressure solenoid output
22 Overdrive solenoid output
23 Converter clutch solenoid output
24 Overdrive override (control switch) lamp output
25 Internal fault in module
26 Governor pressure sensor offset drift
55 End of code transmission

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
kc76

Just wanted to update the situation.

I got my TCM from the dealer this morning, and plugged it in. No errors right away (which means I'm at least that far ahead of it...). Drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes and had no problems. Got back to the house and checked for codes, and none were there. Went ahead and mounted the TCM where it should be and then went to work. Shifts are much smoother than I ever remember, and I don't have the 3-4 delay when it's cold either.

Just for reference, the number on the module that came out of the Jeep was 5602 7564. The number in the parts sheet is 5602 7316, which seems to also be what salvage yards have. If you go to a salvage yard looking for this, you may want to tell them the 2 numbers and that they are the same. In fact, it doesn't even appear as if they make the module with the 7316 number. If you order from a dealer, you'll get part number R602 7564, which means it's a remanufactured unit. They only have the remanufactured modules now, but it seems to have (hopefully, knock on wood, say a few hail mary's and amens) fixed most, if not all of the tranny problems I was having.

Drove it a bit this afternoon, and I don't know if it's the computer(s) relearning all the settings and data, but it drove like crap. The tranny seemed to be good, but the engine was awful at idle. I needed to run to the store, and came out about 5 or 6 minutes later, and it idled like it was misfiring. Hit the gas and it was ok, but when it got back to idle, it was almost a surging feeling. When it wasn't doing that, it idled way low (just above the first mark on the tach). I switched the A/C off, and that helped. Drove it like that for a bit, and it seemed to idle fine after that.

Any ideas on the idle? The IAC is only about a year old. Could probably stand to clean it, but any other thoughts?

Hope this info helps someone with the same problems (or similar) to what I had and they don't have to deal with all the trouble I did to track the module down!
kc76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Alright, I know this is an old *** post but I need to thank you and the great car god that I found this post this morning. My 42re went into limp-home mode Friday morning with a code 21 so I bought an installed the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. The problem persisted so I thought I would need (junkyard) transmission. I pulled the codes again this morning and got 21, 22, and 23. I found this post and thought that a $50 junkyard TCM was a decent wager vs. a $600 junkyard tranny. I found the ONLY one in Austin, threw it in, and BAM, problem solved. THANK YOU!!! It solved my limp-home mode and a bunch of other minor transmission problems that had been popping up at random for the last five or six months.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
OilInTheGas

Thanks

I've been working on a customers 93 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0l and the 42RE trans. When i got it it was starting and staying in 3rd gear, no overdrive. You could put it into 2nd manually but not first unless you went strait from neutral to 1st.
Got Codes 21, 22, and 23. I changed the tps because it was easy and free but made no difference (it was a shot in the dark, I read sometimes this could do the fix.). Found this post and decided to buy a used tcm, Model # 56027218 on tcm. I got the only one in the sacramento area for 100 bucks, Installed it and the new one fixed the problem. Shifts like normal and has overdrive back. Hope this helps someone else, working on these things sucks.
Also the tcm is located on the inside of the firewall left of the column, the nuts are two 13mm on the engine side of the firewall, no need to remove any dash plastic. see ya.
OilInTheGas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
dvmdtaylor

hi this is dewey thanks for the ifo i just put a transmission computer had the same proplem with no overdrive got a computer from upullit 25$ works great
dvmdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Muskitokid
1994 ZJ 

Just finally ran across this post after months of other ideas, I've changed solenoids and sensors and checked wires out the yin yang! Can't wait to start junkyard-hopping!
Muskitokid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.