1994 ZJ - Tune Up Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1994 ZJ - Tune Up Questions

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Blacula

1994 ZJ - Tune Up Questions

I've got a 1994 ZJ with 163K miles on it. This vehicle has never had a tune up, so was curious if you guys would recommend anything in addition to plugs, wires and O2 sensor?

I'm not much of a car guy, so please explain it in layman's terms. Thanks.

Blacula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

What engine do you have (V8 or I6)? get a new Distributor cap & rotor. oil change. air filter. oil filter. Are you going to do this yourself?
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Reloader77724

well I have a 5.2 97 model zj. What do you recommend?
Reloader77724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Blacula

It is the 4.0 V6. I've kept up with oil changes and air/oil filters at regular intervals. I'm planning to take it into a shop for the tune up, but want to be informed when I do.

The exhaust manifold and motor mounts were replaced a few years ago. I did have a new set of shocks installed less than a year ago, which seems to have cured my DW problem.
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacula
It is the 4.0 V6. I've kept up with oil changes and air/oil filters at regular intervals. I'm planning to take it into a shop for the tune up, but want to be informed when I do.

The exhaust manifold and motor mounts were replaced a few years ago. I did have a new set of shocks installed less than a year ago, which seems to have cured my DW problem.
FYI, It is a straight 6 or I6, not a V6. If you were gioing to DIY, the #1 plug is a B#$#$ to get at with the A/c and #6 isn't easy either.

Reloader77724, I hear the distributor cap is very difficult on the V8. I would do plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, oil filter, oil change.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Blacula

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumZJ
FYI, It is a straight 6 or I6, not a V6.
Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. I'd like to see this Jeep hit 250K at the very least. I've driven it all over the country from sea level to 8,000+ feet, and have quite a sentimental attachment to it.
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumZJ
FYI, It is a straight 6 or I6, not a V6. If you were gioing to DIY, the #1 plug is a B#$#$ to get at with the A/c and #6 isn't easy either.

Reloader77724, I hear the distributor cap is very difficult on the V8. I would do plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, oil filter, oil change.
I didn't have any trouble at all getting either of them. The trick get getting the plug out of #1 is to get a long enough extension for your ratchet.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
sand zj
1996 ZJ 

I have both engines in and I would say that they are both fairly easy to tune up. I have found however that my 4.0 like to go through plugs quicker than most.

I would go with Plugs (NKG), Wires (high perf 8mm), "HOT" coil (not neccesary, but you can gap plugs wider), Cap (any quality brand), Rotor (any), Air filter (I like the K&N cold air system), Change all fluids (eng, trans, t-case, axles, anti-freeze flush), New thermastat (cooler range will give more power but slightly worse fuel mileage), Check hoses (If spongy then replace both rad. and heater hoses, don't forget the short hoses by water pump), If belts are overly cracked then replace (belts- cracks running same direction as grooves are bad, less than 10 cracks per inch the other way is acceptable but I would replace), Check front end for any slop, ect.

This is how I treat my vehicles and I have het to be left stranded and I drive about 25,000/year on road and many hours off road as well.

DON'T FORGET- Replace muffler bearings with a high performance chromoly set and grease regularly as well as keeping headlight fluid full and clean!

'96 ZJ 7" LA, 318, 231, 8.8 (welded), d30 (LockRight), 4.10's, 33x13.5x16 TSL's, no interior...
sand zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
wh1te
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand zj
DON'T FORGET- Replace muffler bearings with a high performance chromoly set and grease regularly as well as keeping headlight fluid full and clean!
Also its very important to make sure your flux capaciter will hold a charge.
custom: radiator support/ tow points
wh1te is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.