1994 ZJ lift questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1994 ZJ lift questions

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
x a million! All my buddies wheel Wranglers, and laugh at my ZJ. But when push comes to shove, they're freezing and dealing with soft top sounds, and I'm relaxing in comfort.
yeah whenever my buddies ride with me there like dang, heated seats? man this is comfortable haha. i'd never get rid of my zj. i'd maybe have a wrangler on the side but i'll always have my zj.

1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, a start a wrangler bashing party. Nothing wrong with Wranglers, especially on nice days when you can take off that soft top and really enjoy the trail. I sit here wishing my daughter would decide to buy a different car and give me the wrangler I bought for her. It would be a nice platform to build.
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
vRogue
1998 ZJ 

haha!

I love my zj so much, and i cant wait till i get my lift on it, im getting the RC 4in and 33"s, but i would love 35"s.
Any ideas?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread too.
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
paintball10148
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree ive wheeled my buddies wranglers and i own an xj and a zj and there is no comparison, the zj is for sure the way to go. im working on getting some 35s this week, im stoked! one concern of mine is that im still running stock rear arms and i have about 2 inches before my rear tires rub the rockers. whats the best way to go as far as long arms or would it be better to build my own?
paintball10148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
zach_v
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post

6.5 and 35s now. A bit of fender trimming and some bumpstops.

Hunter
I think you will be able to answer my questions. I want to lift my jeep but I don't know what point I will need a longer drive shaft. I want a 4.5" lift, could you give me some of your insight since it looks like you have been there done that.
zach_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_v View Post
I think you will be able to answer my questions. I want to lift my jeep but I don't know what point I will need a longer drive shaft. I want a 4.5" lift, could you give me some of your insight since it looks like you have been there done that.
i have a 4" lift. not even close to needing a longer driveshaft. if anything, since i swapped in a 242 with esy, i had to get a shorter rear driveshaft.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
It depends.

If you have a u-joint front driveshaft, there is a very good chance you will be fine.

If you have a CV type front driveshaft, you will need to swap it for the u-joint type as soon as it grenades. Preferably before.

You won't need to mess with the rear.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
If you have a CV type front driveshaft, you will need to swap it for the u-joint type as soon as it grenades. Preferably before.
lol. +1. it is not a question of if, but when.

my cv broke the first time i took it off-roading after lifting it. i was ready for it bc of the great advices i received from jf members. i had all the tools and a spare driveshaft ready to swap it on the trail.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

- gen. george patton
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
zach_v
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
It depends.

If you have a u-joint front driveshaft, there is a very good chance you will be fine.

You won't need to mess with the rear.
I am not sure what I have. I will crawl under it today and see. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
zach_v
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
i have a 4" lift. not even close to needing a longer driveshaft. if anything, since i swapped in a 242 with esy, i had to get a shorter rear driveshaft.
I also swapped in the 242 TC. I originally had the AWD 249 piece of crap. Definately the best upgrade so far.
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I am not sure what I have. I will crawl under it today and see. Thanks for the advice everyone.
it's pretty easy to tell haha. Yea of all the things I don't like about mine, d35c, cv's upfront it came with u jointed shaft upfront.
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I also swapped in the 242 TC. I originally had the AWD 249 piece of crap. Definately the best upgrade so far.
i dunno.....to be honest with you...i feel like 249 was better. the only reason i like 242 is bc of the 2wd option and no viscous coupler that fails.

i feel like 249 was a superior 4wd t-case. i felt like i got more torque out of 249. no need to switch anything. just leave it in 4wd full time and go. switch to 4-low only when needed.

notice i over and over again used the word "feel". absolutely nothing to base this off of. it just feels that way. is that just me?

- gen. george patton
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
i dunno.....to be honest with you...i feel like 249 was better. the only reason i like 242 is bc of the 2wd option and no viscous coupler that fails.

i feel like 249 was a superior 4wd t-case. i felt like i got more torque out of 249. no need to switch anything. just leave it in 4wd full time and go. switch to 4-low only when needed.

notice i over and over again used the word "feel". absolutely nothing to base this off of. it just feels that way. is that just me?
the 249 is an excellent case. Very strong and simple design makes for reliability and knowing it will work. The downfall is the VC. As with all vehicles, parts wear out. The tcases are no exception. I have no intentions of getting rid of my 249. honestly, i'll probably pay to get get a new VC or a rebuilt 249 when mine goes.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #29
zjfamilyman
1997 ZJ 

I agree about the 249. It gets a bad rap because pretty much everyone's VC has failed by now and people think they need to have 2wd. The fact of the matter is that most VC's fail around 150,000 miles if maintained properly and that means that you probably will only be replacing the VC once. The 96-98 249's are improved over the first generation and those improvements mean that there's really no reason to give it up. The big 249 was stuck behind the torqy V8s for a reason. It's certainly the best Tcase in the snow and on the road in any condition and the all time four wheel drive is also good for anything you can throw at it unless you need low. You'll never get stuck in 2wd and you know that if your wife or kids are out driving it, they'll be able to get home regardless of the weather. The 242 sounds good in theory and it is a little bit easier on the driveline but it's more complicated and many people find that it is much more difficult to operate, not to mention in reality it is no stronger than the 249.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.