1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo will not start

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
mikemedic

1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo will not start

hello everyone:
I just bought my daughter the 6.0 grand 4.0 with 161,000 miles on it. I bought it off a friend. The problem is intermittent will not start . It cranks but will not fire over. He seemed to think it was in the harness that connect the fuel pump, he has replaced the pump before along with filter, dist cap etc. I think its a crap shoot cause it does this so intermittent. like tonight, i cranked it and it would not start. tried several times to no luck. I check things and 10 mins later it fires up and i have restarted it about 10 times all fired on first crank. The last thing i want is my kid out some night late and it wouldnt start. any input will do
I am not a mechanic so be gentle and tell me what to check.I also notice that when i turn the key over it makes the humming noise like the fuel pump kicks on everytime so i am assuming its not the harness?

Help please

mikemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Welcome!
The first thing you need to do is pull any fault codes that might exist. To do this, turn the ignition key from off to on, to off, to on, to off, to on, to off, to on (not start). Numerical codes will display in the digital odometer. If you don't have a digital odometer, the check engine light will flash the number codes. The last number code will be 55 (finished). You can then let us know what codes you get and we'll break them. Hopefully, you'll have something that points out a defective part, such as the crankshaft position sensor (most likely problem).

Otherwise, we are going to have to line you up with some checks you can make the next time it doesn't start.

HTH
Unread 11-29-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
mikemedic

thanks sir

Ok so when it doesnt start..do the on/off sequence, it will flash codes....like the count the amount of times it flashes? I read somewhere about the crankshaft position sensor. If we don't get a code how can I test this sensor? Where is it's home? Thanks again in advance...I am also from West Virginia

Any advice will do
Mike
Unread 11-29-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
mr_user

Actually these codes are stored in your jeeps PCM (brain) and this method was brought up by the guys at Chrysler so that the average guy didn't need a DRBII scan tool to diagnose a problem. In other words, you can diagnose the problem anytime you'd like.

Also, I am willing to bet money that your problem lies within the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Many times, it is the culprit of an intermittent start. I will save the write up on a CPS check for when we know this is indeed the problem.

I suggest that you invest in a Haynes manual, especially with such a high mileage Jeep. It is the best $20 you will ever spend. If you do have access to one, the write up is in section 5-5 I believe.

HTH, Let us know,

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemedic
Ok so when it doesnt start..do the on/off sequence, it will flash codes....like the count the amount of times it flashes? I read somewhere about the crankshaft position sensor. If we don't get a code how can I test this sensor? Where is it's home? Thanks again in advance...I am also from West Virginia

Any advice will do
Mike
If you're still in West Virginia, MOVE OUT NOW!! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
How's that for advice?

Sorry, I couldn't resist that...
The crankshaft position sensor is located on the back of the engine, near the bell housing. There is a series of resistance checks than can be performed on it to verify it's condition. This are listed in the Haynes manual, I think.
Do you have a Haynes? It's so much easier to work on this stuff if you have a reference in hand.

BTW, what part of WV are you in?
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
mikemedic

i am from morgantown, WV

thanks, actually my buddy gave me a chiltons for the jeep. I went out and started it like 10 times today and it was fine. How much are those crankshaft position sensor? The Chiltons kinda shows how to check it. so i disconnect the sensor at the connection and it says test the middle terminal to one of the outer terminals ? It looks like i could replace this myself hopefully. OK so if the CKP has three wires...middle right and left middle to one side should go to 5 volts or greater with ignition in on , then middle to the other terminal opposite the 5 volt one should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts turning over the engine, and if using and average voltmeter the readind should be 2.5 volts right?

Is the CKP the most problematic sensor in the 4.0 1994 grand cherokee

I will be amazed if I fix this..........
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Don't be amazed. Just know that you fixed something that half the guys here couldn't.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
mikemedic

I am assuming the CPK sensor and the CPS are the same right?
The chiltons call it the CPK sensor and Is this a dealer part?
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #9
mr_user

Yeah, Haynes refers to it as the Camshaft position sensor, I guess they all have their own lingo. The resistance check seems identical to the one I recall from the Haynes.

Good luck with that, let us know if you have any questions.

Nothing beats the feeling of saving the money/pure accomplishment of doing your own disgnostics and repairs.

Oh and yes, you can get this part from the dealer. Call around and see if any of the local dealers have these in stock, they should as it's very common. I forget the part number.

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
mikemedic

Im confused

OK all you grand cherokee experts:

I do believe there is the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR and the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

THe crankshaft position sensor is the one by the tranny bell housing right
The camshaft position sensor is in the distributor right....

so I am led to believe we think it's the crankshaft position sensor right...according to some other sites this is the more sommon defective part?
Unread 11-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #11
Big Dumb White Guy

check your coil. i had a similar problem - that's what it was. have fun with that bad boy. they are a pain to get to.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I can tell that that if the PCM does NOT receive a signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the enigine will not fire up. I forgot to connect mine once. The engine would turn over but no spark. Once connected it, it fired up right away.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #13
goodolboy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemedic
OK all you grand cherokee experts:

I do believe there is the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR and the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

THe crankshaft position sensor is the one by the tranny bell housing right
The camshaft position sensor is in the distributor right....

so I am led to believe we think it's the crankshaft position sensor right...according to some other sites this is the more sommon defective part?

right.but i doubt its the camshaft ps...... my money is on the crankshaft postion sensor....i had simiular probs with my old 87 XJ...heck when it started to go out it would stumble and if the rpm got below 1000 it would die, 2 bolts on a metal strap is what help mine on
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 07:02 PM   #14
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I had a problem with my ignition coil. I ran through seven of them in about four years.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 01:38 AM   #15
garyontheriver

Engine cranks but won't start

My 87 Cherokee had a 4.0L inline six. On cold mornings it wouldn't start at 530am but about 9am when it warmed up outside it started ok. when it wouldn't start ther was no spark to the plugs leading me to believe the coil was at fault. Since coils fail 100% I decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor after reading forums like this where people had a similar problem and the majority of fixes was the CPSensor.. I paid an auto shop $110.00 to replace it and it always started without a problem and had over 220k miles on it and ran gre at when I sold it. Definitely replace the CPSensor.
garyontheriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.