1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo v8 Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo v8 Help!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
grandcheves
1994 WJ 

1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo v8 Help!!!

Ok so i just got a 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo v8 with 165,000 miles and it has the 4wd full time...

i just got the jeep for a really good price,but there is only 2 things rong with it

the first thing is when you crank it up it will crank and then die(unless you give it gas)and when you give it gas the RPM's will go up fine then drop back down to a really low idle then return to normal...it might just neeed plugs

the main problem with it and why the guy was selling it is the transmission..
if you put the 4wd part in neutral you can sift the transmission to any of the gears but it DOES not like reverse it drops the rpm's low and it sometimes dies..now if you have the 4wd part in 4wd full time or 4wd Low and go to any gear it just shakes and cuts off and sometimes makes a grinding noise and then dies???

any help!????

grandcheves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would first remove and clean the Idle Air Control. There are threads on the forum on how to do that. It might improve your idle consistency. Then, proceed with a tune up if needed.

What transfer case is in your jeep? I would expect it to be the 249, as most ZJs of 94 vintage with the V8 had a 249. That case has 3 shift positions, 4hi, N, 4lo. If you have some other case, maybe the 242, then you have 2hi, 4w hi part time, 4w hi full time, N, and 4 lo.

Your main problem... when the tcase is in N, then the tranny does not see any significant load. So, shifting through the gears is not loading the engine. When the tcase is in gear, then putting the tranny in gear puts a load on the engine and maybe then you again are running into idle or tune up problems. There also could be issues with the throttle position sensor. Not sure about the grinding noise. That might indicate a tranny problem or a transfer case problem.

Hope this helps.
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
grandcheves
1994 WJ 

Thanks alot man..my transfer case only has 4wd full time,N and 4wd low
im going to check and see whats up with the plugs and Idle Air Control.

any more help and advice people?
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
grandcheves
1994 WJ 

ok so i just pulled a plug and it was really nasty like it has not been changed in a long time...so im going to replace all of them...should i do plug wires too?
Unread 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Wires, cap, and rotor button with the plugs.

Clan the whole throttle body and iac motor, that should fix your idle and stalling issues.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
grandcheves
1994 WJ 

thankyou does my other problem sound like the tranny?
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dont worry about the tranny until you get the engine running smooth. if you still have dying problems when putting it in gear, then it could be a throttle position sensor which senses throttle position and tranny gear to maintain idle (as far as I know, any expert here to correct me?).
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologc46 View Post
Dont worry about the tranny until you get the engine running smooth. if you still have dying problems when putting it in gear, then it could be a throttle position sensor which senses throttle position and tranny gear to maintain idle (as far as I know, any expert here to correct me?).
The TPS only controls OD in an RE series transmission. The OP has a 46RH, so the TPS has nothing to do with the transmission.

Definitely do a full tune up, clean the throttle body, and replace the IAC. Then if the stalling issue persists, move on to the transmission.
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
grandcheves
1994 WJ 

ok thankyou guys
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
dubblenickle
1978 CJ5 

ok, i may just be whistling into the wind on this one on such an old post, but first, never shift your t-case from neutral to a range gear after running through the transmission gears under the no-load situation described above. always give the trans tailshaft ample time to stop spinning by placing the trans in neutral, or by turning off the ignition then restart in park then find your t-case range. the grinding is a result of your trans still spinning and since t-cases are not synchronized, they grind. even if the trans is in neutral there could be some residual movement of the trans tailshaft which still may result in grinding. the same example could be reversed, shift your trans in park, your t-case in neutral and roll down a hill while trying to get the t-case into a range... it wont work and you'll shear every tooth off the gear. read your visor or owners manual on exactly how to shift. if what i said isn't helpful, do a search on how to synchronize shift a transmission, that may shed light on what i just tried to explain. it also helps to take a t-case or trans apart to appreciate just how they work and how delicate they are.
dubblenickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I'm thinking the torque converter might be locked up , along with the idle problem . you put it in gear , it stalls like a manual trans .

BTW , if the t-case is in neutral , your gonna hear some wicked noises if you switch the gears from forward to reverse , and even park . I wouldn't do that anymore
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
lonestar1982
2000 WJ 

im looking to buy a 1994 jeep grand cherokee v8 is it a good jeep

I'm looking to buy a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee with a v8 5.2L with a 4 inch lift kit on it and has 185 xXxX miles on it the back hatch doesn't close right not sure if that's a big deal and I'm hearing bad things about that year I. An buy it for $3000 is that a good price and is it a bad jeep to buy
lonestar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
tanker225
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar1982
I'm looking to buy a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee with a v8 5.2L with a 4 inch lift kit on it and has 185 xXxX miles on it the back hatch doesn't close right not sure if that's a big deal and I'm hearing bad things about that year I. An buy it for $3000 is that a good price and is it a bad jeep to buy
You're in the wrong forum. 1999-2004 is the WJ, 1993-1998 is ZJ.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

"Mud doesn't void warranties."
tanker225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.