1994 jeep grand cherokee i need help, please advise! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1994 jeep grand cherokee i need help, please advise!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

1994 jeep grand cherokee i need help, please advise!

i am having a few problems with my jeep recently..
-my motor seem to be going thru oil alot, its blowing out the crankcase breather, which i thought was normalbut it seems a little excessive..
-also my trans seems to be havin issues,which i think could just be a presure line?.. but it is shifting into third gear almost immediatly from 2nd just when im starting out though, it just seems a little gummy rest of the time, so any ideasor should i take it in?
-last thing, i was on the highway doing about 75, (the fastest ivegone consistently) and it started shaking violently out of no where, i pulled off expecting a flat but could find nothing wrong.. so i got back on and did 70.. no problem. any idea what that would be? misfire maybe?

lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

V8 or inline-6?

No it's not normal, your PCV is likely clogged. Plan on buying new elbows and grommets. Not much $ at all.

Trans, start with fresh fluid and filter. If you want to really go after it, swap out the gov pressure sensor and solenoid, about $80-100. It's easily done while you have the filter off.

3rd issue is death wobble, which can have many different causes. Not likely a misfire but see if there are any codes stored.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Fumes from the valve cover and oil consumption could also be an indication of bad valve guides. Do a compression test.
Check your tires for wear, they will usually hop at 75-80 when their nearing the end of their life.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

ok thanks guys!
-it is the straight 6
-the tires are quiet worn in the front, i replaced the rear one though because the matching ones from the front were dry rotted and completly worn out.
-so should i just drop the trans pan? cuz i dont have a drain plug..
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The trans, TC, and differential fluids all need to be replaced every 35k. No transmissions don't have drain plugs because the filters are internal and the bands should be adjusted at every fluid change.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

ok well i dont know if it has ever been done, i already did the TC and DIFS, even though it has never been done i should still do it right?
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Get about 5-6 quarts of ATF+4,filter,and one of those big oil catch pans. Measure how much fluid comes out & add the same amount back in. Depending on the fluid condition you may have to do this a few times in short intervals. Get a white piece of paper towel and inspect the color of the fluid. It should be red, a dark color is not good.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

ok cool thanks, well when i bought it, they had about twice the amount of fluid needed in there..like inches above the max full mark. so i drained some but its still over full. thanks for all the help though! it was very much needed.
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Make sure you check the level in neutral & running when the fluid just gets hot. Drive around for about 15 minutes. Sounds like you checked it in park...hence the high level.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngtheJEEPlife View Post
ok cool thanks, well when i bought it, they had about twice the amount of fluid needed in there..like inches above the max full mark. so i drained some but its still over full. thanks for all the help though! it was very much needed.
Sounds like you're checking it while off and in park. Your are now running low on fluid causing the trans problems.it's also probably done damage by now.

What transfer case do you have? Only the selec-trac can cope with unevenly worn tires.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

yeah ive tried both ways.. and i took out a few quarts and checked a few times each way again and was still high.. weird. ill drain it and use all the advice though. thanks alot guys!
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
tcar
2000 WJ 

Is it a GRAND Cherokee that you're talking about? Your signature says XJ, which is a Cherokee... totally different vehicle than we're talking about here.

But, the answers above would still be valid.

Be sure you check in NEUTRAL, not PARK... common mistake.
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.