1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build

hey, looking at other peoples builds, I thought I would make my own build thread.
So story behind the jeep, I found the jeep on Kijiji for $700. So I went and looked at it, and the battery was dead, missing front drive shaft, and the transfer case was split into two pieces. It had a new set of 32"x11.5" wild country mud tires, 15" pro comp rims, and a 2" pro comp lift. it has a 5.2L V8 engine, D44a rear, D30 Front, NP249 T case.
So I convinced myself if I bought it, and the jeep wouldnt work, that I could sell the tires, and lift and make more than I spent on it.
I ended up talking him down to $600. And took it home.

jeep-black.jpg  
mackcs212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

So first thing I did was took the battery into work, changed the battery acid and recharged the battery and tried out the jeep and she sparked right up.
Next step was to go to Pick N Pull and grabbed a NP 242 T case and a front drive shaft. I got rid of the broken NP 249 (full time 4wd) and replaced it with the new to me NP 242. I then changed every fluid in the jeep and took her for a spin.
After I knew she was running good and no other immediate issues, I decided to paint it. So I took it into work and started the prep work, including removing all trim, bumpers, lights and treated all the rust.
start-prep.jpg   prepped.jpg   primed.jpg   painted.jpg   outside.jpg  

rear-view.jpg   jeep-hood-paint.jpg   cb-install.jpg   rear-decal.jpg  
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

Next, I got tired of the smell in the jeep, and the constant dampness off the carpet, so I pulled every inch or carpet up.
I exposed years of rust, and dirt build up. I sanded down and treated the rust, primed then painted the floor with TX'd no slip paint we use at work for the skids of the helicopters. It is pretty much the exact same thing as bed linder.
floor-stripped.jpg   floor-done.jpg  
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

I then installed a Midland CB radio, and 5x forward facing 150w lights, and 1x rear facing 150w light hooked up to my reverse lights. I and now am currently taking engine apart to replace all the gaskets and seals that are leaking (ie, head gasket, valve cover seals, oil pan gasket)
jeep-eng-3.jpg   jeep-eng.jpg   jeep-eng-2.jpg  
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

my future plans are for a ford 8.8 rear axel swap, 4.10 gear ratio, lockers, front and rear bumpers, roof rack, winch, rock sliders, and many others. I love the saying you see all over ZJ forum, "Built not bought". and I will be doing just that, I will try to keep this thread up dated with all the new projects for my jeep. Cheers for now
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

hey, i live in calgary and just picked up my 94 zj. glad to see another albertan on here XD

sounds like you have your jeep a little more planned out than mine, and much further along too! it's looking great, i hope mine will start looking that good soon..... but parts are expensive (for me, yay low pay) and far between. but it'll get there eventually. really like the paint and lining the interior!
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

oh, forgot to ask, how hard was it to do the tcase? if i can get a 242 from pic-n-pull i'd be super happy.... i like knowing when i'm just using two wheels XD
Unread 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
bteixeira02
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I really like what you did with those front fenders. How did you make them? and do you have any pictures of you making them and attaching them. really interested thanks
bteixeira02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

They are tj flares.

What size tires are you planing to run? If bigger then 33'' id go lower then 4.10 IMO
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
oh, forgot to ask, how hard was it to do the tcase? if i can get a 242 from pic-n-pull i'd be super happy.... i like knowing when i'm just using two wheels XD
Doing the T Case was super easy, just took a while to find a ZJ that matched exactly (outputs). only cost $173 for the t case plus a one year warranty. only took 35 mins to drop each and another 30 to install 242. so an hour and a half total. If you are in edmonton anytime soon, there are 3x 94 zjs and a couple 95 zjs, not sure on engine size.
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteixeira02 View Post
I really like what you did with those front fenders. How did you make them? and do you have any pictures of you making them and attaching them. really interested thanks
jtackerman28 is right, they were just TJ flares i bought for 40, i have matching rear ones too, just havent got around to putting them one yet. i cut off the two nubs on the back of the fenders, drilled small holes in fender and jeep fender and used nuts and bolts to install. I went small so that i they were to get ripped off I have small holes to fix and lots of room to redrill new holes. after I got them bolted on i used black silicone to fill in the gap between the fender and the jeep for the seamless look.

jtackerman28 - i am stuck between 4.10 or 4.88, not sure which to go with.
Unread 08-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcs212

jtackerman28 is right, they were just TJ flares i bought for 40, i have matching rear ones too, just havent got around to putting them one yet. i cut off the two nubs on the back of the fenders, drilled small holes in fender and jeep fender and used nuts and bolts to install. I went small so that i they were to get ripped off I have small holes to fix and lots of room to redrill new holes. after I got them bolted on i used black silicone to fill in the gap between the fender and the jeep for the seamless look.

jtackerman28 - i am stuck between 4.10 or 4.88, not sure which to go with.
Get 4.56 happy medium
Unread 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
mackcs212
1994 ZJ 

yeah this ZJ is still my dailey driver, for the most part, i live 800m from work. But i do still want to be able to drive around the city with it, so maybe 4.56 would be better. Thanks
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcs212 View Post
Doing the T Case was super easy, just took a while to find a ZJ that matched exactly (outputs). only cost $173 for the t case plus a one year warranty. only took 35 mins to drop each and another 30 to install 242. so an hour and a half total. If you are in edmonton anytime soon, there are 3x 94 zjs and a couple 95 zjs, not sure on engine size.
well i know pic-n-pull has a bunch of zj's, but pulling a t-case in a jy doesn't exactly sound like fun... especially at ground level. as for getting to edmonton. only trip in the foreseeable future is for a concert. and that's litterally up and down. not staying there. i guess i can also look around kijiji some.
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

There are a few ZJs at the pick n pull on Barlow. There are also a few XJs that have direct bolt in 242s

This is as of 2 weeks ago though

Mack: I assume you service Griffons?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.2l , build , laredo , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.