Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1994 GC Shifting Problem. Fixes??

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ChaoticBastard 
#1 ·
Hello again Well today I picked up that 94 GC that was in a deer accident small damage.I bought it knowing it needed a water pump,and knowing it sometimes doesnt like to shift out of 1st gear.This is the 4.0 model with the AWD Option.Im assuming its all wheel because I only have a hi and low option on the TC.Well anyways I fired it up and took it for a short spin.Sure enough it doesnt like to shift out of first until you get around 4krpm.It was revving I kinda took my foot off the pedal slowly and feathered it and it shifted fine through the rest of the gears and down shifted fine as well.Its just being hard in first.My questions are this.Is there a Control Module or something electrical that goes in these trans that causes this problem.Or is this something that occours when the filter is starting to get blocked.The truck has 97k and I got a really sweet deal on it.I need 2 marker lights,a grill and the water pump.I got it for 575..Any help on what to look for on this would be nice,Im going to change the fluid and screen (filter) as soon as I can.Thanks!

#2 ·
Im kinda haveing the same probs with mine and the trans are known for being a prob. After mine warms up it wont go back into 1st when slowing most of the time and likes to go in and out of O/D without moveing the gas pedal. I got and est of 1400.00 to rebuild the trans. You could try to replace the filter and fluid and maybe you will get lucky.

#3 ·
Tough one.

I hate to be discouraging but read some of my posts. I had the same year car with only 84,000 miles, acting the same way on it and had it to 5 mechanics, none of which would commit to knowing what the problem was. When it was really bad the overdrive light would flash and shifting was be irratic. No rhyme or reason to when it would do it either. Hot, cold, starting out, on the highway, just whenever it felt like it.

I did get a code 26 once from the overdrive light flash, which is something to do with the governor offset and one garage offered to change it "for $400 but wouldn't guarantee it would solve the problem."

Cottman transmissions had no clue and could get no any codes and offered to "take the transmission apart and look inside for $300 as they had no ideas either.

My regular garage suggested I have the transmission fluid changed and the filter changed and it actually ran ok for a week after that but really think it was a coincidence as I read of similar experiences here.

We decided that it was time to trade her in while it was running ok and bought an 05 and love it (except for the gas milege).

Again, sorry to be discouraging but I spent weeks here on this great board and got some advice but the pattern seems to be that this happens a lot and not too many good outcomes or easy fixes.

#4 ·
I had a shift cable problem on mine and the shifting problem went away. Maybe that sounds like a "Magical" fix but, it did cure the problem.

A bad throttle position sensor will also cause shifting problems.

Hunter

#5 ·
thanks for the replies.Im hoping its something electrical or maybe the shift cable.Either way it was a steal.575 for a 94 ZJ with 97k.So if i have to buy a rebuilt one Ill save some money and put it in myself.Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.