1993 Jeep G. Cherokee Paint Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1993 Jeep G. Cherokee Paint Problem

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-08-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
jeff_connors

1993 Jeep G. Cherokee Paint Problem

Please see attached pictures. Paint is coming off the roof like wallpaper peeling. Chrysler said in Ohio they will look at it..but in Kansas (activated in military in KS) they won't. Anyone deal with Chrysler over this problem? They said there is no paint problem with these however, I have heard differently from a mechanic friend.

Unread 10-08-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
jeff_connors

Well guess you have to be a programmer to attach a .jpg to this. Anyway, paint is peeling badly.
Unread 10-13-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
DixieZJ4x4

I have the exact same problem on mine. It must be a bad paintjob from the factory. I wad wondering what i should do about it myself. Please let me know how you fix it
[b]Performance:[/b] Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK II, Mustag Cobra Injectors, Full Tint, Flowmaster 40s w/turndowns, Carsound Cat, Robert Shaw 180* T-stat, IAT Adjuster, 5.9L Electric Fan, Taylor Wires, DeGolded, [i]Custom[/i] Graphite wheels, Hood Scoops, Cobra CB w/PA, Black outs, [i]Custom[/i] Billet Grill, Clear Corners...
[b]Sound System:[/b] JL Audio Subs/Pyramid Amp
DixieZJ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2002, 06:45 AM   #4
jeff_connors

I'm going to take care of this myself. I called Chrysler but I should have gone and talked to the wall for a better response. For you, call them if you don't 100k on the Jeep yet. They may do something depending on how insistent you are. Many people had to take them to small claims court to get them to move. I have 111k on it so it's a dead issue to chrysler ("we don't know how it's been cared for") They are idiots. Good luck!
Unread 10-16-2002, 11:00 AM   #5
KevinF

Yep, Chryco knows that the paint was faulty...actually, I believe it was the clear coat that was faulty. I took mine in at 5 y/o and 52k miles on it. The deadline at that time was 6 years and 60k. They agreed to do it, but they were only going to paint the hood, roof, and front left fender (the places that were affected). Since I was going to keep it, I opted to NOT have them paint it so that the body panels didn't match. Now, with as much AZ Pinstriping I have, peeling clearcoat is the least of my worries, lol.
KevinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 11:09 AM   #6
Need4Boost

Just strip it and primer it. Primer is the best color and you could put stripes on it...Schweet!
[b]Green Jeep Club Member #13[/b]
Need4Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
jeff_connors

Luckily, the only area affected is the roof which no one sees. So I did the best thing. Sandpaper, emory cloth, .94 primer and spray paint! Hey, it's 9 years old and on the roof! It will (hopefully) keep it from blistering further and prevent rust. I will think twice before buying a chrysler. On the other hand, heard the EPA mandated new paint back then and it took the auto companies a long time time to catch up on the new requirements. Leave it to Unc Sam to screw things up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.