1993 Grand Cherokee wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1993 Grand Cherokee wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
LakesideJeep

1993 Grand Cherokee wont start

So, I just bought this 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited edition today, drove it around all day, was great.

Tonight I get home, then go out to smart and final, when I get back into the car it starts but sounds and feels like it's not running on all cylinders, I back out of the space and try to take off and it seems no matter how much gas pedal I give it, it doesnt want to move, and it doesnt rev up, when I punch it it barely moves the rpms dont rise so it's not like the trans is slipping or anything, then I manage to get it into another spot, and it dies.

I try to restart and it turns over but wont start.

I went to a payphone to call a tow truck and walked back to the jeep and tried it again, it starts for a second then stalls. I have it towed home and try it again, it fires up briefly, but then dies again.

Where do I start with this? I thought maybe it has something to do with the security system, maybe I did something wrong to it, I dunno.

It looks like possibly the old owners had a second security system installed because there is a non jeep key chain remote as well as the standard jeep lock, unlock remote. It's almost like it's starved for fuel, but the fuel guage shows half a tank.

Help please.

LakesideJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Not real sure but, it sounds like a fuel pump???

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
LakesideJeep

I was just playing with the security system, the one that looks factory, and when I press the lock button it doesnt lock the doors, yet when I close the doors the security light on the dash flashes, but I can't get the doors to lock like I could earlier. Im really wondering if it's some sort of security issue, or if its the fuel pump. I dread to think what the dealership is going to charge me for a fuel pump.

Im going to break out the owners manual and see if there is any insight in there about cutting the fuel when the security system goes bad.
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:09 PM   #4
LakesideJeep

So I disconnected the battery, and reconnected but that didnt help, was hoping it would reset the security system if that was an issue.

The keyfob wont lock the doors when I press lock, but will unlock the doors if I press unlock, but when I press lock, I do get the security light on the dash to flash for about 15 seconds, yet it wont lock the doors like it did earlier. I even tried to reprogram the remote per the owners manual, and it still unlocks the doors but wont lock them. In fact when I press the power door lock button to lock the doors, it wont work either. Somethings screwy in denmark.
Unread 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
kolonol

sounds like our 1982 Corvette....admittedly that is cross-fire, but it has a dirty carburetor...the vette when you step on the gas will start to go, but not rev up, I had it all the way to the floor and it died...sprayed a little ether in it (not too much, just right) and it started back up but the idle would rev up a bit then back off then do the same thing for a while. When I hit the gas again it did the same thing but when I pumped the pedal it took off like it should, albeit a little rough...smoothed out after a half hour drive. It was a dirty carburetor like I said...might be your issue and might not be...I have a friend who is sitting in a parking lot right now because her Jeep won't start...hers is 100% security system related though...hope this helps you out
kolonol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Upside
2002 WJ 

There are multiple threads regarding disabling the OEM security system. Maybe they didn't disable it before installing the aftermarket system. Did you try locking and unlocking both front doors with the key? If the Jeep thinks it's being stolen (alarm activated but someone is trying to start it) it will start up and shut down. My Jeep doesn't have security but my uncle's ZJ had this exact problem.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
CamelandiaZJ
1993 ZJ 

I experienced this 3 times and mine got cured when I switch ON Ignition and close driver side doors then turn on and off the Door lock manytimes.
CamelandiaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
XR4TiBrian

I am currently having this problem too. Is there a way to hardwire the security system so that I wont have to worry about this anymore?
XR4TiBrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
classicmetalman

How to Disable Security

Common issue. Here ya go

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...our-zj-483020/

SEARCH function is a pretty good tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

It sounds like the security thingy to me ...

Are your headlights flashing and the dash too ???

Try locking and unlocking the doors or rear hatch with the key ...

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
tbonesflexin
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Cutting out

My Cherokee started cutting out on me when I gas on it. Idles fine in park and in gear, this sound like bad gas or sensor problem??
tbonesflexin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

Try replacing the cap and rotor.Mine did the same thing yours is doing and replaced both of those things and it fired right up and haven't had a problem since.
May want to replace the coil while you're at it.
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
tbonesflexin
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepney
Try replacing the cap and rotor.Mine did the same thing yours is doing and replaced both of those things and it fired right up and haven't had a problem since.
May want to replace the coil while you're at it.
Its got new coil just had an issue with it not firing and replaces that and crank sensor and the pick up coil in distributer and it will crank now. So yours was cutting out while it was pressing the gas and button and cap fixed it??
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

I remember my 96 Jetta did the same thing to me and I sold it thinking it was the fuel pump.The kid I sold it to replaced both cap and rotor and it's been running ever since.When mine did this,it cranked up,but running really rough.I backed it up and gave it gas and it didn't rev,even with it in neutral.Towed it home,bought those items,fired right up.No problems since then.
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
tbonesflexin
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepney
I remember my 96 Jetta did the same thing to me and I sold it thinking it was the fuel pump.The kid I sold it to replaced both cap and rotor and it's been running ever since.When mine did this,it cranked up,but running really rough.I backed it up and gave it gas and it didn't rev,even with it in neutral.Towed it home,bought those items,fired right up.No problems since then.
Mine will rev up in park or neutral, just when it's in gear it cuts out. Think that could still be the cap and rotor??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.