1993 AW4 trans into a 1996 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1993 AW4 trans into a 1996 4.0

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

1993 AW4 trans into a 1996 4.0

I heard the 1993 Grands with the 4.0 had the AW4... Will that swap into my 1996 Grand with the 4.0 and what will I need to take off the 1993 to make it work properly? I just want it as a spare if it will work PERFECTLY... Thanks..

Unread 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

AW4 is pre OBDII, it probably will not work with a 96+ PCM/ECU and there would be way too much work involved in getting it to work perfectly, if it is even possible.
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

tons of screwing around.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

It's been done. There's a thread around here somewhere. However it's not the easiest of swaps. the AW4 was only available in the early 93's (first couple months) then they all went to the 42RE.

Whats wrong with the current transmission? Nothing wrong with a 42RE.
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

My 42re works well but I have a line one a free AW4 to swap in when mine kicks the bucket. It has about 160k on it now.. Just saving things up for the future..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.