1993 5.2 ZJ New 46RH Late Shift into 3rd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1993 5.2 ZJ New 46RH Late Shift into 3rd

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Duffman2613
1993 ZJ 

1993 5.2 ZJ New 46RH Late Shift into 3rd

So I found a used 46rh tranny for $250, so I said screw replacing a crap ton of sensors just to attempt to fix OD and just decided to replace the whole thing. Which turned out to be a good idea anyway because doing so I found out how much metal shavings were on the tranny pan. Not good.
Well I now have OD, but it shifts pretty late into 3rd gear. It won't shift until about 2500-2700 rpms (35 mph) and it shifts once almost immediately afterwards and again about 5 mph later. So this is my question... What is this more likely to be, the bands needing to be adjusted or the TV cable? I'm not sure, I was leaning more towards the TV cable because when it's too tight it'll cause late shifts and harder shifts. And another thing, why is it shifting 5 times? It's definitely 3rd gear that it shifts into late, why are there two more shifts afterwards?
Thanks

Duffman2613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

shifts into third, then it locks torque converter, then kicks into OD.
did you flush the 'new' tranny out with new fluid and give it a new filter? if not do that. i'm guessing you haven't dropped the pan on this tranny yet have you? FYI the OD solenoid takes 10 minutes to replace after you drop the pan.

as for the hanging in second gear issue; mines been doing that for 4 years now. i'm used to it so i know how to drive with it. i prefer that then ****ing with it and making it worse. 'non issue' to me now....... then again the jeeps 18 years old so i don't expect much from her these days lol
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Duffman2613
1993 ZJ 

Okay that makes more sense. And yes, I did drop the pan, flush the fluid and replace the filter. The filter and fluid looked new. But i had a new filter and fluid so I just replaced them anyway. Your's hangs in 2nd until 2700 rpms though? And does it shift pretty hard? It's just weird to me cruising at 30mph and it just drags in 2nd. I like it more for when I wanna step on it, but not always.
And thanks
Duffman2613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

yea man.
it does the exact same thing. just coasting it won't go until 2500 at least. sometimes more. i stopped caring about it and now i just hammer it everywhere lol.

1st to second is a very hard shift. 2-3 is better. still feel it. 3-4 fairly smooth.

i said 'screw it, if its on its way out i'll swap it when it dies' that was 4 years and 40k ago...... it shifts firm and doesn't slip so screw it. its when it doesn't shift firm and slips you have a problem.

i'm not sure if playing with stuff like teh bands and stuff will fix it; thought that was for clutch material wearing off and stuff. i asked a mechanic buddy about adjusting the TV cable (because everyone here says to) and he laughed and said don't touch it.

so i said **** it and just driving it as is.
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
cdavern
1995 ZJ 

Lucas additive in the pan and a small adjustment to TV cable made a huge difference, smooth shifting, at 250,000 miles and still going strong
cdavern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

You have exactly described the shift pattern of my 93 also. I have dicked with TV cable , adjusted bands, ect. I said screw it like JonnyZJ and just live with it.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

from the research i've done the shifting is all controlled through the governor, which is pressure activated, and it is located in the tailcone of the tranny, so basically i've come to the conclusion; keep fluid clean, make sure it doesn't overheat via clogged lines/tranny cooler, and drive it. when i pin it it down shifts, when i let off the gas it upshifts.
i'm not picky, lol

Tags
1993 zj , 46rh , transmission , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.