140,000 miles What a great vehicle! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 140,000 miles What a great vehicle!

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
roadfrog

140,000 miles What a great vehicle!

For those who might wonder how these vehicles hold up.

Our 94 JGC 5.2 liter now has 228k kms. Here's some highlights of how great this vehicle has been:

-ORIGINAL BATTERY!!!!
-Original exhaust! Except the cat, which was replaced this year.
-The only mechanical repairs have been a water pump (warranty) and rear right axle shaft (common problem apparently)
-Engine and transmission have had no repairs or issues of any kind even though it's towed a travel trailer through the Rockies, desert, etc.
-No rust

We are so happy with this vehicle and has proven to be the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. It is not pampered, but oil/filter changes are done religiously every 3000 miles. Some of you might be interested (and horrified), to know that I have used the cheapest dino oil I can get (meeting API specs) and Fram filters

Now if I can just figure out how to get more than 15 mpg........

roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
deeger

140K on '94 JGC

It's a JEEP thing! After you're done with the break-in period, you can expect years of driving enjoyment and worry-free miles. As an owner of a '94 ZJ, I'm not surprised at your good fortune. If you keep up with the preventive maintenance, you'll have 500,000 mile bragging rights approximately on September 23, 2029.

Good luck with the next 140K.

Deeger
'97 Honda CBR900RR Erion Racing Edition

Last edited by deeger; 03-09-2004 at 03:35 PM..
deeger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
willsellout

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger
It's a JEEP thing! After you're done with the break-in period, you can expect years of driving enjoyment and worry-free miles. As an owner of a '94 ZJ, I'm not surprised at your good fortune. If you keep up with the preventive maintenance, you'll have 500,000 mile bragging rights approximately on September 23, 2029.

Good luck with the next 140K.

Deeger
I have 130 K on mine and it runs awesome besides the manifold crack and expected seal leaks...but hey..jeeps are killer...I don't know if I'll ever own anything else now.

Dan
willsellout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 01:25 AM   #4
briang97603

over 176,000 on my 1993 and no major problems, peeling paint on the lift gate and thats it, and thats hardly noticable. good luck with yours.
● K&N Air Filter ● ProComp RS3000 shocks ● ProComp RS2000 stabilizer ● Plus much more ●[/b][/size]
[SIZE=1][B][I][FONT=Georgia]"The race is long, but in the end, it is only with yourself."
~Unknown[/FONT][/I][/B][/SIZE]
briang97603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
Interloper

10 years on ORIGNIAL BATTERY?

Unbefreakinglievable. I've never gotten more than 3.

You must be measuring in metric years

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
roadfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper
10 years on ORIGNIAL BATTERY?

Unbefreakinglievable. I've never gotten more than 3.

You must be measuring in metric years
I KNOW! I mean, I've had batteries last as long as 6 or 7 years, but with all the electricals (and aux lighting/electrical loads from trailer), it's shocking that this one is going on 11 years now! Makes me wonder if I should buy another Mopar battery when it comes time.

Nah, I ain't measuring in metric years. You folks down below will be metric too one day. "Resistance is futile".....
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #7
PitViper

118k miles here, and other than a leaking rear main seal and a (third) bad CD head unit, it's given me no problems since I got it in 2000. It's been a very reliable daily driver and hauling/towing vehicle, and I'd only replace it with another ZJ or WJ

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
3.0L V6 TT, AWD 89,000 miles
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
MendoXJ

171,00 miles on my 5.2, just replaced rear main seal, alternator and steering. Tranny Rebuild about 6000 miles ago. Other than that all is good. Id expect alot more to be wrong at this kind of milage.
36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL SX's
Poison Spyder Comp Stinger
MendoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2004, 06:52 AM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

94 GC I6 with QuadraTrac….165,000 miles
Ran perfect for the first 140K no complaints except for 3 sets of rotors; then from 140K to present, the following have been replaced: Rear main seal, radiator, transmission, transfer case, front differential, & fuel pump. I have also jumpered four wires in the driver-side door to make the power windows & speaker come back to life. For some reason I break the sun-visor holding clip about every two years. Currently the rear hatch welds have broken, so the hatch rattles and my windshield has a three foot crack. But I love HER.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Just went over 100,000 miles here, with my 97 GCL and I'm lovin it!!!!!
Before I bought this Jeep 2 1/2 yrs. ago, everyone told me not to buy a Jeep because "it's a chrysler and they're nothin but problems". Well now I'm rubbing it in their face because ever since i got it, i haven't spent more than what an oil change costs. Sure, there are a couple of leaks now, but nothin that's a killer!!

The car drives like its new, no shakes or rattles and the heated seats STILL WORK!!!!!!!!.

Well just chimmed in to let everyone know how happy I am and hopefully I didnt jinx my luck with this post
Unread 03-14-2004, 08:08 PM   #11
Aen

Yea amazing how long a vehicle will last when you take care of it.

I myself have a 95 Grand Limited, 5.2L 289k miles on it replaced the orginal Fuel pump recently and the battery a year ago.

Oil change every 2500-3500 miles and trans filter once a year.

And tomorrow I am replacing the original radiator, blew out this past summer finally and spews antifreeze. Its in great shape though.

Anyone have any suggestions on Rhino Lining the interior floor boards? with all the mud and water from the pits i visit the floor probably wont last long if i dont try and protect it a lil more than heavy vinyl mats.

I want to lift the carpet out and line the floor, thats about it. Any Pros or Cons to this?
Aen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2004, 05:16 AM   #12
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Dang Canadians,

he's probably been frozen up on the Washington Glacier for the last eight years for the battery to work.

Those are some great stats. I haven't changed out the waterpump yet! It will go just at the wrong time this summer. Murphy's law runs strong here.

Hunter

08 Z71 Suburban

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
gerrya

Got 148,000 on mine

Just bought it and besides oil leaking from everywhere it runs great.
Do you guys recommend changing the oil fill cap to a tighter fitting one to stop some of the oil leak from there. Or is some pressure release good from there?
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #14
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrya
Just bought it and besides oil leaking from everywhere it runs great.
Do you guys recommend changing the oil fill cap to a tighter fitting one to stop some of the oil leak from there. Or is some pressure release good from there?

There are fittings designed to properly ventilate your engine. The oil filler cap is not one of them. On the other hand, you don't have to worry about rust on the valve cover!
I'm assuming you are talking about the cap on the six cylinder, since the eight screws on pretty tightly. You could buy a new cap, but unless there is actual damage to the gasket surface, a good cleaning will probably suffice to release the spring and allow it to seal again.

HTH
Unread 03-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #15
gerrya

Thanks for the reply. yeah its the 6. I dont see a spring on the cap just the 2 tangs and a rubber gasket. I notice when I screw it on it is real tight and then loosens up a bit when its fully closed.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
There are fittings designed to properly ventilate your engine. The oil filler cap is not one of them. On the other hand, you don't have to worry about rust on the valve cover!
I'm assuming you are talking about the cap on the six cylinder, since the eight screws on pretty tightly. You could buy a new cap, but unless there is actual damage to the gasket surface, a good cleaning will probably suffice to release the spring and allow it to seal again.

HTH
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.