12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #61
Vortexium
1998 ZJ 

I got a 98 ZJ. 5.2 V8. It was doing this before and I replaced the cat and muffler, due to both being clogged, tune up, fixed the issue. Now it has a low idle in drive and reverse. Wants to stall, but won't. Starts up fine about half the time. I just replaced the distributor pick up as well, still doing it. Fuel pressure is at 50 PSI. Need some help!

Vortexium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #62
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

clean your throttle body maybe .

Did it start doing it all of a sudden or gradually .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #63
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexium View Post
I got a 98 ZJ. 5.2 V8. It was doing this before and I replaced the cat and muffler, due to both being clogged, tune up, fixed the issue. Now it has a low idle in drive and reverse. Wants to stall, but won't. Starts up fine about half the time. I just replaced the distributor pick up as well, still doing it. Fuel pressure is at 50 PSI. Need some help!
You've eliminated secondary ignition,restricted exhaust, and fuel pressure. Work your way down the list.

how is battery/charging system?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #64
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

ZeeJay, his post is still a bit vague to me ?

Vortex, does it run well at higher speeds ?
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #65
joshyoung

New subscriber here, but just want to say thanks for taking the time. My 97 wasn't stalling, but idling really low and hard at stops. After reading your post, I replaced the IAC and TPS and cleaned the throttle body. I also checked and cleaned the fuses and relays. No more hard idle. Thanks again, I'm loving the forum. Just started changing my own oil a year ago, and it is awesome to be able to learn here and get the confidence to do more and more things.
joshyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #66
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshyoung View Post
New subscriber here, but just want to say thanks for taking the time.
YW, Thanks for reading!
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #67
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Josh, fill in your profile when you get a chance and it will help here if you have question on your Jeep .

Nice work fixing your ride .
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #68
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

This thread is falling waay too far back and needs to be brought back up to the front. I still don't see it as a sticky or in the FAQ's where it should be!

ZeeJay, I installed a link to this thread in my sig since tired of searching for it and will try to point members to it when need be. I'll try to do this before my narrow mindset says it's a bad crank sensor after going through 4-5 of them.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #69
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Thanks Uni

Or we could forget about this thread and buy some stock in auto parts.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #70
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #71
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

HI tech approach, Wiggle wires to track it down

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #72
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
HI tech approach, Wiggle wires to track it down
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #73
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

[QUOTE=KoreaZJ;15422316]
I wonder why Chrysler dropped the once a month maintenance from the later model ZJ owner's manual? Must have needed more shop visits...
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #74
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

My 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo was stalling when coming to stops or just braking. After it stalled I could usually start it right back up or I would have to try a couple times but I had to be careful because if I tried starting it too much the battery would die. Took it to my mechanic and he said the fuel pump was bad so I got it replaced. All seemed well and then a few days later after coming home from the gym right when I parked the car shut off. This time I had to hook up my charger for it too start. I made sure it started and then turned it off, the next day in the morning battery is dead so I charge it up again and drive around to a couple places and it doesn't stop at all. Then I decide to go to a buddy's house and sure enough the damn thing stops on the highway after sitting at a light for a few mins. This time I figured it'd be like before when I got the fuel pump replaced so I try to start it but the battery seems dead luckily a good Samaritan helps push it into a parking lot for me.

Since my buddy lives around the corner he drives over to jump my car and after a few mins we get it started but less than a minute after we unhook the cables my damn car shuts off. We jump it again and make it part way to advance auto but it shuts off at another light and we have to push it the rest. We get there and the guy was completely useless, just says the battery is bad and tries to sell me a new one (week prior they said batt was good). We get it jumped again and try to drive to my friends house and it shuts off about 4 times on the way back but starts right back up. We make it to his house and leave it there and I borrow his car.

Come back the next day and battery is dead, my mechanic said check the battery and alternator so we take the battery out and put it on the charger while I remove the alternator. Take them both to advance and they say both are good battery just needs more charge, go to auto zone and they say alternator is good but battery is bad, and lastly we go to NTB and they can only test the battery but they say it is bad but it possibly could just need a recharge since it's been out the car for an hour or more. After all that we just put everything back in and I didn't want to risk driving it on the highway again. I plan on getting it towed to my house so it's closer for me too look at and I have no car to drive over there when I'm off work.

Sorry for the long story but I figured I'd say exactly what happened. I plan on trying method number 1 tomorrow but this whole ordeal is frustrating. Guy at NTB says take it to a dealer but I have no extra cash right now due to getting this fuel pump. I'm not car savy at all and only took the alternator out due to a helpful youtube video but I'm gonna try some methods on this thread but if anyone has any guesses or assumptions please let me know
mcp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #75
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Dont take it to a dealer because you'll get charged up to $1500 and in most cases it wont even be fixed. Go through Zeejays list on this thread, one by one. Then report back to us on your own thread, not this one.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bucking , check engine light , hesitation , no start , stall issue

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.