12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #46
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
I got bored and reordered the dirty dozen, took out some distracting content, added a few details.

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #47
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Zee, you know me somewhat I think .

That said, #7 is #1 IMHO .

P.S./edit: Great post Sir and nicely done.
------------------------------------

Nice work dawg and I see that you are still juggling the numbers here some due to your further study and very great work IMO and keep on keeping on .

# 7 is now # 4.

You Sir, have seen me say it here before " I have seen more Jeep problems go away by just cleaning the damn electrical connections than I have seen from anythink else.

You and I both know here that we may agree on that but it needs to be said just the same.

If your connections suck and you don't try to correct them first then you will make my head hurt if you ask me to help you.

Just say'n

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #48
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Phit, you're right the electrical connections have a huge impact on the way the vehicle performs. The numbers are there for reference only. If anyone does happen to actually use these suggestions, the best thing to do is perform the easier ones first. You can do the majority of them in an hour or less.

I have noticed that many people want someone to troubleshoot their vehicle without opening the hood. If you drive any older vehicle, you are going to have to work on it... or pay someone. This was the intent, give people a way to save some money. I still see folks changing sensors willie-nillie. I suggest keeping any parts changed prior to checking all this stuff. It will give you a cache of spares.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #49
nutwood

Many thanks for this information. I've read this thread whilst researching another issue but we have two ZJ's and I've absolutely no doubt that this information is going to get me home one day.
Some of these points I've already experienced and can verify that the information offered is 100% correct!
Thank you for the work you've put in typing this all up for us.
nutwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #50
tomas812
1997 ZJ 

Great Article

I also have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 that kept stalling. My jeep has
185,000 miles. I alway take care of my vehicles, constantly change my engine oil every 3 thousand mile.

I got tired of taking it different mechanics and being told to change a different item on the engine, so i parked it the garage and followed the 12 steps on this
article.

MY JEEP HAS NOT STALLED AT ALL , MY WIFE IS ESTREMELY HAPPY

PS IM LOCATED IN CENTRAL NJ, IF ANYONE NEED HELP PLEASE CONTACT ME

TOMAS MONTALVO (DIESEL MECHANIC)
tomas812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #51
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Do you make house calls?............
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #52
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas812 View Post
MY JEEP HAS NOT STALLED AT ALL , MY WIFE IS ESTREMELY HAPPY:
My wife was driving mine until it started it's downward spiral into the stalling abyss. I bought her a truck and drove the Jeep while I worked out the problem.

Do you know what fixed it? ... or does it really matter to you since the wife is happy?
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #53
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

" Do you know what fixed it? ... "

Zee, I was wondering the same thing.

I learned long ago that when trying to trouble shoot something or even doing a old school tune up to do it one stage at a time and see what happens .

I well remember being a rookie and getting a new ride and thinking I was going to do a complete tune up and make it run better to only have it run worse.

Then I was wondering was it the new points and Condenser ?

Was it the dist. cap ?

Was it the new spark plug wires,spark plugs or their firing order ?

I finally figured out to just do it one step at a time and try it out, so I didn't have to go back threw every little thing that I had done to find the problem.
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #54
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I well remember being a rookie and getting a new ride and thinking I was going to do a complete tune up and make it run better to only have it run worse.
Been there done that. Except it was a 68 Cutlass that one of my dad's coworkers had for sale. My dad drove it home for the weekend to let us try it out. It didnt run good, so I, being the adventurous teenager I was (without a lot of respect for someone elses property), decided I would buy it if a tune up would fix it. So I took it on my own to tune it up, though I had never worked on a GM. And of course I screwed it up. I forget exactly how it happened, but my dad got in it and it was cutting out big time. We worked on all afternoon and my dad was pissed, then he took it back to the guy not running right and I had to pay the guy's mechanic to fix it.

I never forgot to tighten a ground screw again.
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #55
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Yep, I heard that .

Was it a 442 ?

I also left out screwing with the timing, carb. and other things, that I did not really understand well at the time, looking for the problem thinking I did all that right and it must be something else .

Live and learn, or better yet maybe listen and learn from others mistakes .

I learned that the hard way and I would not change that for anything but I learned the hard way .

Phit
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #56
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

3,000 mile oil changes are very big waste of time and money in my book .

My old school teaching was 5,000 to 7,500 miles and oil quality has been much improved since then right ?

And we are not even talking syn. here .

Nope, I don't buy it and I think they are trying to brain wash us, to think so, because big bucks can be made by them if we believe it .

MOO/my opinion only .
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #57
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

No, it was not a 442, those were too rich for my blood.

At one point in my life i was a Caterpillar mech, they instructed to change oil if it looks dirty.
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #58
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

My Caddy manual suggests changing the oil every 7,000 miles I think .

It does hold 7 1/2 quarts however.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #59
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

for 10K hits!
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #60
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I'm in .

Tags
bucking , check engine light , hesitation , no start , stall issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.