12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #301
T-rexx
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

everything that's highlighted and check all cables
Will do tomorrow. It's raining right now

Unread 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #302
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

Zeejay, The Mechanic called me this morning and told me to dump the '96 off on someone else, so I did. I took it to my friendly dealer and he gave me what I had tied up in it on trade on a 2001 G.C. with all options that the other one had. My problems are now the dealer's and I'm cool with that! I got back all the money I had invested in "The Ghost Jeep" and got a very clean, good running, newer model for not a lot of "boot"! Thanks to you and the others on the forum for all the advice I was given during my dilemma with the '96.
MadDog 96
MadDog96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #303
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog96 View Post
Zeejay, The Mechanic called me this morning and told me to dump the '96 off on someone else, so I did.
I'm glad we got that one fixed!
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #304
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Damn dog,we're gonna miss ya
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #305
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Good luck dog! Just a tip, keep the cooling system in tip top shape and don't let it overheat. The 0331 head had some cracking problems.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #306
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

Forum Friends, I ain't going anywhere just because I went WJ. I'm sure some things will pop up from time to time. I'll still need some advice, I'm sure. Yep, ZeeJay, We fixed that one. I'm wondering about the next guy that ends up with it, guaranteed he'll show up on here sooner or later! We will just have to determine whether or not the poster got "The Ghost Jeep". If he does have all the stress I had we can advise him to pass it on to the next person until it finally ends up in the boneyard!
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #307
-OIIIIIIIO-01
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog96
Forum Friends, I ain't going anywhere just because I went WJ. I'm sure some things will pop up from time to time. I'll still need some advice, I'm sure. Yep, ZeeJay, We fixed that one. I'm wondering about the next guy that ends up with it, guaranteed he'll show up on here sooner or later! We will just have to determine whether or not the poster got "The Ghost Jeep". If he does have all the stress I had we can advise him to pass it on to the next person until it finally ends up in the boneyard!

Welcome to the WJ side! Beware if you have all the bells and whistles though, lots of problems with that stuff.
-OIIIIIIIO-01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #308
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

Thanks Coralman, I'm pretty religious about checking fluids, belts and any items that can go out without notice. Being a truck driver for over twenty yrs. I generally pop my hood every morning before starting up and checking every thing I can see that could possibly give frowns or make me pull my hair out like "The ghost Jeep" did!
MadDog
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #309
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

OIIIIIIIO-O1, When I popped the hood this morning, I could swear somebody stole my distributor and plugged the hole with some weird lookin' kind of sensor!
Unread 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #310
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog96 View Post
We will just have to determine whether or not the poster got "The Ghost Jeep".
you should have put a card behind the pcm that says "ghost jeep, jeepforum.com"
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #311
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, Or maybe a card behind the PCM that says "Ghost Jeep get rid of me fast. Call the nearest Recycler as soon as possible, Sincerely, MadDog96"
Unread 03-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #312
Mjczj
1997 ZJ 

Hello,

My 4th GC. Had original GC in '93. Turns out ZJ was my favorite. Just bought a abused '97 w/ 170k. Seller "forgot to tell me about the stalling problem. This forum helped a lot. Replaced battery, got it running and started checking the wiring. Jiggled PCM harnesses, Bingo! That was my problem. Took PCM out and scraped all pins on the harness w/ exacto knife. So far so good. It has been said most problems are w/ PCM, I'll bet this is the problem for most. Thanks for the help.
Mjczj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #313
terry76555
1996 ZJ 

For anyone who is interested in another GC No Start... 1996 GC 107k miles, 5.2L

No starts began the other morning. Engine cranked but thanks to this thread from ZeeJay and others, I looked for the CEL, found a whirring fuel pump and no CEL. Also no gauge readings and the low fuel light displayed.
- After battery charge, cleaning some grounds and terminals, sometimes it would give me a CEL and sometimes no.
- When I got a CEL and could get gauge voltages for the ON position, they ranged from high 11s to possibly a 12.5. When running, near 14v.
- I did some testing and battery boosts over a few days expecting to tie the issue to lower voltages. No apparent correlation.
- BTW, whenever I got a CEL, GC started and ran fine (not counting TPS relearning).
- Also turns out I typically started messing with this in the AM in the shade and would get CELS by mid afternoon (right in the afternoon sun).

So my current theory is that the PCM does not want to work when cool/cold.
- No joy Tuesday following rain.
- CEL / start / ran fine Wed and today in the afternoon (bright FL sun right into the PCM area)
- After sundown, and cool down, no CEL / no start.
- So, got the heat gun out set it on low pointed at the PCM, turned the key to on and got CEL withing about 60 seconds.

Friday morning will try the cold PCM and heat gun again and if results are the same will get a PCM.

Thanks again to ZeeJay and all of you who have contributed to all this.
terry76555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #314
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Because of this thread I have figured out everything except for my codes for tps high voltage and my fuel level having voltage
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #315
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry76555 View Post
F
- So, got the heat gun out set it on low pointed at the PCM, turned the key to on and got CEL withing about 60 seconds.

Friday morning will try the cold PCM and heat gun again and if results are the same will get a PCM.

Thanks again to ZeeJay and all of you who have contributed to all this.
thank you for the feedback. let us know if the pcm fixed it. i need to add your heat gun trick to the PCM section.

Tags
bucking , check engine light , hesitation , no start , stall issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.