8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #256 of 444 Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog96 View Post
I've read the Dirty Dozen,
I wasnt talking about the DD. did you click on the "read this" link in my last post? sorry if it wasnt obvious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 444 Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 PM
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

Thanks ZeeJay, The link is just what I'm looking for. I remember seeing a little bigger version on this or another forum. Looks like fun, guess I'm fixin' to go get myself a dental pick! My first question concerning this procedure is:: Do you have to take the connector apart to do this ? I saw on another post from this forum, that there is a safe way to take apart the connector via the two blue locks on each side and replace the sockets one at a time, or replace just the ones that show signs of failure, or corrosion. I can look down into each connector and see that some are not pushed into the connector block quite far enough, in my opinion, to make good contact with the pins. HUMMMM, another puzzle!
Thanks again, Man, I'll let you know how the pick thing works
MadDog96
post #258 of 444 Old 03-08-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I saw on another post from this forum, that there is a safe way to take apart the connector via the two blue locks on each side and replace the sockets one at a time, or replace just the ones that show signs of failure, or corrosion. I can look down into each connector and see that some are not pushed into the connector block quite far enough, in my opinion, to make good contact with the pins.
If the sockets on the connector do not come flush with the face of the connector, that's a problem. The locking mechanism for the pin does not engage until it slides almost to the end of the bore in the connector. So the pins are floating if they are not flush. Click this for more info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #259 of 444 Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, I've picked the terminals, and resized the ones that seemed spread and after putting the harness back into the PCM, no change so far. I haven't driven it out yet to see if it relearns. I'll keep you posted. Any more ideas? like you've said, I've run the gauntlet.
Thanks, MadDog96
post #260 of 444 Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
ZJ how long can that ''ReLearn'' take.. My Jeep is sure running much better than it has.. But I had mine loaned out for over a year .. It needed a Battery when I loaned it out .. The borrower never replaced the Battery .. He charged it nightly and Jumped it daily for almost a year. Well mine got to where it would not run So they brought it home.
.. I went to town bought a battery .. It fires up an has ran better every day.
.. But every day I'm now into about day 120 & it's still not perfect. Can it really still be relearning .
post #261 of 444 Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i think it should be well schooled by now

post #262 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 02:54 PM
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay97, I got a chance to drive the

Jeep around the neighborhood today and still no change in the hesitation. I noticed a "shuttering' before it would bogg down, and die whenever I gave it fuel. Any ideas on the
cause of the "shuttering' before it shuts down at any speed?
Thanks for any clue you can come up with, MadDog96
post #263 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

maddog, is the stall still more prominent in right turns turns? it may be a bad wire somewhere. does it have aftermarket accessories on it anywhere? fog lamps in particular.

how about the fuel filter. have you checked for crimped fuel lines?

post #264 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I seem to remember a new fuel pump and filter being put on it but have you tried a pressure guage on it since just in case it is not up to speed ?
post #265 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, Not so much in the turns as it just wants to shudder and stall when I depress the throttle to accelerate whether a little or a lot whether turning left or right or going straight. After starting to stall I can let up on it and there's a 50/50 chance as to whether it dies or recovers and runs for a little bit longer before repeating the same behavior. It starts right back up after putting it up in neutral, dropping into drive , repeat, repeat, repeat , it could go for 5 miles or 500 feet before the stalling behavior. If I give it gas ,either backing out of the driveway, or pulling out from a stop, it will shake, shudder and die unless given a chance to idle to a rolling start, then given the pedal gradually. Then go for a ways and do the stall dance. I haven't checked for crimped fuel lines, but I will. The filter is a new Hastings unit. Today I was able to take it down the street I live on, and it ran like a scalded cat when given the gas from a roll, It went about a half mile before stalling upon accelerating up a small hill. Shortly after, I took it up a friend's driveway, which looks like a wagon trail and very steep.... Not a Hiccup out of it until I went the half mile back home, started up my street... after a right turn, stalled.
I've got another Throttle position sensor ordered, Should be here tomorrow. Does anything I've said this post give you any idea, I'm gonna keep it, but I'm probably going to be bald by the time we can figure this crazy thing out! And my hair is about a foot long! I'll get out there tomorrow and run that harness from one end of the truck to the other making sure it's sound. Speaking of Fog lamps, the left one is broken from an impact by the previous owner driving into a ditch, missing the high spots we traverse in the friend's driveway I spoke of earlier. I hope some of this can help you help me figure out the "Ghost" in this truck!
Thanks Brother, MadDog
post #266 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

is the front part of the frame bent? the reason i ask is that the main wire bundle crosses above the fog lamp across the front of the radiator. if that is damaged, the wire bundle may be collateral damage.

sometimes people will add fog lamps and run screws through the bundle.

i thought you said you had replaced all of the sensors about 10 posts ago. the tps can cause behavior similar to what you are describing.

have you put a vacuum gauge on it and checked for clogged exhaust. i know you had suspected this earlier. if you have a gauge, watch it while you slowly add throttle. if the vacuum drop to down below 5 inches, suspect the muffler is stopped up with remains of the dead cat. google around and you can find some illustrations on what the gauge should be doing.

post #267 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Can you pull off the power steering belt and see how it behaves ?

Yes, it will be very hard to steer and maybe dangerous, but it may elimate whether the power steering pump has anything to do with it .
post #268 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 PM
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, Before I learned the need for quality before price, I did purchase the TPS from Autozone, Uhh well needless to say the package said made in China, and I bet that don't mean just the package. After first acquiring this jeep, the symptoms made me suspect of the TPS due to the "shuddering' when applying fuel before dying. First part I replaced, everything else has been ordered on E-Bay, and being Quality, High Brand, and sometimes very expensive name parts, thus I suspected the "cheapie" TPS . Muffler is also suspect, and shouldn't cost much to replace anyway. Haven't had a vacuum gauge either, right now I'm basically low on tools after a neighbor friend borrowed some ,then moving out of town with them. Some friend HUH? Anyway, the exhaust is clear when revving up from idle all the way up to around 3 or 4 thousand RPMs when sitting in park and not under any load, try to stab the pedal and it just dies. In the past I had trouble similar to this in a Dodge Van, Replaced the Computer, no luck, came to find out it was a clogged cat. removed it, and all was well again. Darn thing never made the first "rattle" noise, no rattles in this muffler either, but that don't mean it's not clogged.
Man, I appreciate all the patience you've exhibited during my episode of "Ghost Jeep". I'll run down the wire bundles and holler back tomorrow.
Thanks a lot. MadDog
post #269 of 444 Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay,I checked out the whole harness from front to back, under the hood what I could get to under the dash, and can find no worn or naked wires. No fuel line kinks, and rechecked all fuses and found nothing out of place. The only codes I get are 12 and 55, what I expected. Still haven't gotten the TPS in the mail yet, so still suspect. I did detect a skip in the ignition after start-up, about every 3 or 4 seconds at idle, and the same searching between 300 to 900 RPMs at idle, put it down in D or R and the idle sort of evens out at between 400 to 500 RPMs, but the skip comes along and drops it to 200 RPMs just for a split second then recovers to an almost steady idle. Perplexing to say the least. Turning the wheels right or left makes no difference. I'll holler back when I get the TPS installed, hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks man, MadDog
post #270 of 444 Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I did detect a skip in the ignition after start-up, about every 3 or 4 seconds at idle, and the same searching between 300 to 900 RPMs at idle, put it down in D or R and the idle sort of evens out at between 400 to 500 RPMs, but the skip comes along and drops it to 200 RPMs just for a split second then recovers to an almost steady idle.
open your hood at night and look around coil and plug wires for a blue glow.

if you have a helper, get them in the drivers seat and put in gear to load it up a bit.

ps: dont stand in front of the jeep.

Tags
grounds , hesitation , no start , stalling , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.