12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #241
bublackey
1994 XJ Cherokee 

ok pretty much sums up he fried my ECM by crossing the 02 sensor..................you don't have to have them programed for a 94 grand Cherokee Laredo do you?

bublackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #242
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublackey
ok pretty much sums up he fried my ECM by crossing the 02 sensor..................you don't have to have them programed for a 94 grand Cherokee Laredo do you?
Repair the wires to the o2 sensor before hooking up new ECM
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #243
bublackey
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I put a new sensor in.....lmao cant find my part number on my ECM no sticker on it anywhere does it have to be same part number or can it be from another jeep same as mine if it has to be same part number how can I find it lmfao will be last question I ask anyone
bublackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #244
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if your vehicle has a security system and you want to put a used one on it, the donor must also have security. same deal if you do not have security, the donor cant have security. if you get a refurbished one it doesnt matter.

if you cant get your replacement to work, please start a new thread. thanks and good luck
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #245
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, It's MadDog again. I put on the Mopar CKPS today. No change. It's still lopping at idle, dying when giving it fuel, quitting just anytime it wants to. After changing all of the sensors, new PCM and new fuel pump and filter, do you think it could be a weak coil that fails whenever put under a load? All grounds are wire brushed and cleaned at all grounding points, All the fuses and relays have been cleaned and sanded, and checked to be good, battery terminals cleaned, all positive connections have been taken apart and wire brushed and cleaned. All of the 12 things to check, as per the list. The coil is the only thing left! When it dies, I can still coast, put it up in neutral, and it starts right back up, runs for a little while, then repeats the symptoms.
Brother, I AM STUMPED! I just love throwing money at this thing!. No codes coming up except 12&55
MadDog96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #246
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You've pretty much ran the gauntlet. If you haven't done so already, try to restore the tension on the PCM connectors and elongate the sockets on the coil connector so they make better contact. Coils can fail under load and they can be checked with a meter. There are some links you can follow in the ignition section.
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #247
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, Thanks. Is the Standard brand coil reliable ? There's all kinds of brands on E-Bay, some pretty pricey. I'm going to try and order one tonight.
Thanks again. Maddog96
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #248
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i dont know, my oem coil is still going at 178k
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #249
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, I figure why not at 231K? I've Replaced everything else that was OEM, There's always that chance I've been barking up the wrong tree the whole time! But, I swear, all the sensors, PCM, exhaust mods, fuel pump & filter I've done on this thing has shown to be a slight improvement each time over what I started with! I'll let you know how it comes out. It seems like now, All I've got is time to work on stuff.
Thanks Man! MadDog96
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #250
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

Zee Jay, The new coil was of no help. Still lopping, stalling, quitting randomly, I've done all I can Do! FOR SALE ONE Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I-6/ W/ ghosts. Buy it before I call the crusher!
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #251
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Sorry you couldnt fix it. it takes a lot of patience to own one of these things. i think just about everyone on the forum has made the "i'm getting rid of it" statement.

did you ever try restoring the PCM sockets?
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #252
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

If you decide to send it to the crusher I would take all the new parts off it and save or sell them .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #253
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

Well Zeejay, I guess in a moment of disgust, I have Let my temper override my logic. I have a nice chunk of change in this thing now and I'm still finding stuff wrong with it like all of the distributor terminals are loose in the cap, and you read my mind when you asked about restoring the PCM sockets, because when I got the new PCM, I just plugged it in, giving just a once over look at the sockets themselves. Every thing else is new, from front to back, either fuel or electrically related. My son's coming over tomorrow to put a new trans pan gasket on his 95, so I figure we can keep on studying the '96 until we get it right or decide to use it for parts. I guess I better run out and get some contact cleaner just to test the possibility of corroded sockets at the PCM. I've scoured this forum and corrosion seems to be the most problematic gremlin on most Jeeps. I've studied about restoring the sockets and it sounds rather intimidating with all those small wires, but if it can be done, I'm sure that It has by someone on this forum. Lots of good videos on here too, maybe I can search it out.
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #254
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

maddog, read this
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #255
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

ZeeJay, I really appreciate your patience. Honest, I've read the Dirty Dozen, probably a dozen times or more. Every time I go over it, I find another item on the post that leads me to another probable cause of problems associated with this model of Jeep. Being a dyed in the wool enthusiast of Jeeps and the glitches that ensue, I can't give up on them, although at times it gets disgusting, especially this particular Jeep. I've even thought that maybe this one is a $30,000.00 factory original LEMON! Imagine that! I have now "Locked onto" the idea that I will get this one right, no matter what! I'll keep on plugging away at it. It has become a challenge to my psyche now. The most important thing I've learned is that there is no substitute for MOPAR parts when doing all this replacement stuff. I'll keep you posted as to any progress.
Thanks, MadDog96

Tags
bucking , check engine light , hesitation , no start , stall issue

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.